What Does a Career in Jet Engine and Rocket Propulsion Entail?

In summary: You can learn everything you need to know in a vocational school or online. College is good for things like getting a degree in a certain field but it's not necessary for everything.
Midknite
Well I want to become an AE but want to know what it entails first.

I want to focus mainly on Jet engines and propulsion systems mostly but if I have no real idea what that means or what it involves so can someone explain this to me?

I think it means me and a group go out design,build and test jet engines and for Propulsion systems I'm at a lost either it deals with space ships or is apart of jet engines because they both deal with propelling something forward or upward.

Physics news on Phys.org

Midknite said:
Well I want to become an AE but want to know what it entails first.
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but how do you know you want to do something if you don't know what that something entails?

Midknite said:
I want to focus mainly on Jet engines and propulsion systems mostly but if I have no real idea what that means or what it involves so can someone explain this to me?
You have to be much more precise. What specifically about propulsion interests you? Propulsion entails a lot of different disciplines to make a final product.

Midknite said:
I think it means me and a group go out design,build and test jet engines and for Propulsion systems I'm at a lost either it deals with space ships or is apart of jet engines because they both deal with propelling something forward or upward.
Negative. First, there are a couple of different ways you can go. Design or production. They are very different in their realms but both rely on heavy technical knowledge. If you look at design, then you are looking at probably specializing in a particular area of the engine. There are guys that do nothing but cycle calculations. There are people that concentrate solely on compressors, etc...Then there are folks like me that concentrate on testing. You can get exposed to all of the areas, but you will not actively work in all of them simply because they are such broad ranging and no one has that kind of experience or time.

Also, the differences between rocket propulsion and jet engine propulsion are huge when it comes to the technical aspects of design and operation. In theory, they operate on the same principles, but that is about it.

Now, roll in how large of a company you work for and the level of interaction and exposure changes. Usually, the smaller the company, the more you will be exposed to and actually do.

Take some time and do some research into class requirements for the various disciplines in engineering. See what grabs your attention. You don't have to be an AE to work in aviation or aerospace.

Well I know some of what it entails but the explanations are absolutely confusing like the one you just posted.

Well my pre engineering group or whatever they call this program I'm in is an aerospace engineer and the way he made it seem was that Propulsion deals with both rockets and airplanes and that if I wanted to do jet engines then I should focus on aerodynamics and propulsion.

I really don't know the depth of the field so I can't go into anymore specifics. I mean I want to design jet engines and test them. I want to also have knowledge of rocket propulsion for the simple reason that if I lose my job working on jets I can say I'm qualified to work on another part or work witha completely different object like a rocket. Websites(college ones) usually list propulsions as propulsion(both jets/rockets), so if there is any good websites can you please list them?

I want to make the engine go fast I mean I want to deal with the part that involves designing what makes a jet engine produce the power it does to go at these Mach speeds.

I'm looking at ME because seriously the way everyone makes it sound even if get this degree I have a less chance of making it anywhere worth while anyways.

I would be a mechanic but I don't see the point of going to college for that at all.

Related to What Does a Career in Jet Engine and Rocket Propulsion Entail?

1. What are the main components of a jet engine?

A jet engine consists of a compressor, combustion chamber, turbine, and nozzle. The compressor compresses incoming air, the combustion chamber ignites fuel to create hot gas, the turbine extracts energy from the hot gas to power the compressor, and the nozzle accelerates exhaust gases to create thrust.

2. How does a jet engine work?

A jet engine works by pulling in air through the front of the engine, compressing it, mixing it with fuel, igniting the mixture, and then expelling the hot gases out the back of the engine to create thrust.

3. What is the difference between a turbojet and a turbofan engine?

A turbojet engine has a smaller fan in the front that only provides air for combustion, while a turbofan engine has a larger fan that also produces a significant amount of thrust. This makes turbofan engines more efficient for commercial aircraft.

4. How are jet engines tested and maintained?

Jet engines undergo rigorous testing and maintenance to ensure safety and optimal performance. This includes regular inspections, engine run-ups, and even disassembly for detailed inspections. Technicians also use specialized tools and equipment to detect and repair any issues.

5. What are the environmental impacts of jet engines?

Jet engines emit carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and other pollutants into the atmosphere, contributing to air pollution and climate change. However, advancements in engine design and the use of alternative fuels are helping to reduce these impacts.