Follow Up on M. LeBellac & J.M. Levy-Leblond's "Galilean Electromagnetism

In summary: There is some...misunderstanding of the concept of a "spacelike" 4-current?...Yes, I think there is. I think it's important to first understand what a spacelike 4-current is before trying to calculate it. Thanks for clarifying.
otennert
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
This is meant to be a follow-up thread to https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-assumptions-underly-the-lorentz-transformation.1015982/post-6657920, just in case, anyone would like to discuss. As agreed, it should be spun off from the original thread.
In https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-lorentz-transformation.1015982/post-6657920 a discussion evolved from the basic assumptions of the Lorentz transformations, to a paper

M. LeBellac, J. M. Levy-Leblond, Galilean electromagnetism, Nuovo Cim. 14B, 217 (1973)

which is outside the scope of the original discussion, and moreover may be considered "controversial". This thread is just to take over from there.

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
In eqs (2.1) and (2.2.) they define the 2 different Galilean limits. First of all, at this point, they are not Galilean limits at all, because is still in both expressions.

But then in §§2.2/2.3 they look at the electromagnetic 4-current and look at the 2 cases, essentially, either "mostly timelike" or "mostly spacelike". But the 4-current is a timelike 4-vector to start with!

vanhees71 said:
How do you come to that conclusion? There are both types of currents in nature: A "convection current", i.e., the current due to a single moving charge is of course timelike. In continuum-mechanical notation it's given by $$j^{\mu}=q n c u^{\mu},$$
where ##q## is the charge of the particles making up the fluid, ##n## the particle density as measured in the rest frame of the fluid cell (a scalar), and ##u^{\mu}## the normalized four-velocity (with ##u_{\mu} u^{\mu}=1##, using the (1,-1,-1,-1) signature).

Then there are conduction-current densities in wires, which are space-like. The charge density is close to 0 since there is the positive ion lattice in addition to the negative conduction electrons making up the current.
But even if the charge is close to zero, so is the current, as the total charge enters as an overall factor. How can lead to a spacelike 4-current? If there are 2 4-currents, each caused by opposite charges, still the 4-current of each is timelike, and they add up to a total time-like 4-current.

otennert said:
But the 4-current is a timelike 4-vector to start with!
The 4-current is usually spacelike in ordinary macroscopic circuits

FYI, thank you for “forking” this to a different thread! As a mentor that is very appreciated

Dale said:
The 4-current is usually spacelike in ordinary macroscopic circuits

FYI, thank you for “forking” this to a different thread! As a mentor that is very appreciated
Of course, as requested!

But could you be more explicit regarding spacelike 4-currents please? When you refer to macroscopic circuits, we are still talking about electromagnetism which is relativistic by nature...?

Is there some reference you could point to?

otennert said:
But could you be more explicit regarding spacelike 4-currents please? When you refer to macroscopic circuits, we are still talking about electromagnetism which is relativistic by nature...?

Is there some reference you could point to?
Here is the Wikipedia link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-current which is consistent with the peer reviewed literature in this case.

The four current is defined as ##J^\mu = (c\rho,\vec j)= (c\rho,j_x,j_y,j_z)## in a local inertial frame. So in an uncharged current carrying wire ##\rho=0## and ##\vec j \ne0## so ##J## is spacelike.

Yes, this is all electromagnetism which is relativistic. I am just referring to ordinary everyday circuits that you might find around your house. Usually they have spacelike four-currents

Dale said:
Thanks...however, before I read these papers, I would first like to understand the concept of a spacelike 4-current. This seems to be the root cause of my confusion.

Moreover, both papers just build up on the paper under consideration from Le Bellac and Levy-Leblond, which I am still struggling to understand, and also the first of the papers above do not even get the name "Levy-Leblond" right, which may be forgiveable, but bears witness of bad reviewing...

Likes dextercioby
otennert said:
If there are 2 4-currents, each caused by opposite charges, still the 4-current of each is timelike, and they add up to a total time-like 4-current.
For a current in a wire, in the rest frame of the wire, the electron 4-current has a negative temporal component and non-zero spatial component. The wire 4-current (i.e. due to the positive ions at rest in the wire) has a positive temporal component, and zero spatial component. Add them together and the temporal component is small (often zero) and the spatial component is much larger.

otennert said:
I would first like to understand the concept of a spacelike 4-current. This seems to be the root cause of my confusion.
It just means a current in a wire with little or no net charge. See my previous post for details

Dale said:
Here is the Wikipedia link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-current which is consistent with the peer reviewed literature in this case.

The four current is defined as ##J^\mu = (c\rho,\vec j)= (c\rho,j_x,j_y,j_z)## in a local inertial frame. So in an uncharged current carrying wire ##\rho=0## and ##\vec j \ne0## so ##J## is spacelike.

So ##J^\mu = (c\rho,\vec j)## is of course the correct definition. So let's have a look at a normal conductor: a straight wire, for all practical purposes of infinite length. There is an electrical current in that wire, i.e. the electrons are moving a speed ##v##, the positively charged ions are at rest.

I think there is some subtlety now because of Lorentz contraction: the 4-current of one positively charged ion at rest is ##(c\rho,\vec 0)##. The 4-current of one negatively charged electron moving at speed ##v## is ##\gamma(v)(-c\rho,-\rho\vec v)##, with ##\gamma(v)## being the Lorentz factor.

Adding both currents yields

$$J_{tot}^\mu = (c\rho(1-\gamma),-\gamma\rho\vec v),$$

and thus after a little algebra, if I have made no mistakes,

$$J_{tot}^2 = 2c^2\rho^2(1-\gamma(v))<0.$$

Alright, I agree: Obviously the total 4-current does not need to be timelike at all, it can be spacelike and obviously, for most electrical circuits mostly is, and even null! I admit this had never occurred to me, because I never spent any thoughts on this!

Everyday is a school day...

Which means I need to give the paper under consideration a 2nd thought...

Last edited:
Likes Dale
otennert said:
In eqs (2.1) and (2.2.) they define the 2 different Galilean limits. First of all, at this point, they are not Galilean limits at all, because is still in both expressions.

But then in §§2.2/2.3 they look at the electromagnetic 4-current and look at the 2 cases, essentially, either "mostly timelike" or "mostly spacelike". But the 4-current is a timelike 4-vector to start with!But even if the charge is close to zero, so is the current, as the total charge enters as an overall factor. How can lead to a spacelike 4-current? If there are 2 4-currents, each caused by opposite charges, still the 4-current of each is timelike, and they add up to a total time-like 4-current.
Here's a complete relativistic analysis of the DC in a wire:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/relativistic-dc.pdf

As you see in Eq. (7) the total charge density (conduction electrons + ions) is ##\rho_{\text{tot}}=\rho_{\text{cond}} \beta^2##, where ##\beta=v/c##, where ##v## is the speed of the conduction electrons. Since in normal house-hold currents ##v## is of the order 1mm/s, the total charge density is close to 0, and the four-current thus "very spacelike".

Of course, in practice, this is a perfect example, where the magnetic case of the Galilean approximation of electrodynamics is almost exact.

I don't think that LeBellac's and Levy-Leblond's paper is in any way controversial. It's just a pretty concise analysis, what possible Galilean approximations of Maxwell's theory (which is of course a relativistic theory) exist. It also clearly states that a Galilean electrodynamics is not satisfactory as a fundamental theory but that it's valid under certain conditions. One example, where we use both the "electric" and the "magnetic" Galilean limits, is the quasistationary approximation within standard AC circuit theory.

In fact almost all textbooks on electrodynamics use such non-relativistic approximations, unfortunately often not stating this clearly. E.g., the usual version of Ohm's Law, ##\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}## is a "non-relativistic"/Galilean approximation.

Likes dextercioby and otennert
vanhees71 said:

Excellent, I will take some time to study it. Anyway, meanwhile I have identified the mistake in my reasoning...simple things never thought of before...

What I missed to see is that adding timelike 4-vectors with different causal directions (some are future-pointing, some are past-pointing), do in general not lead to another timelike vector. But this indefiniteness enters due to the various signs of the different charges.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
It's amazing, how this simple example of the straight DC in a wire is messed up in the literature... They simply forget about the "self-induced Hall effect" (see the alternative derivation in Sect. 3), which is included in the correct form of Ohm's Law by taking into account also the magnetic part of the Lorentz force.

vanhees71 said:
is messed up in the literature
The so called "professional scientific literature" is just wrong sometimes, though I have to admit that probably this is the exception and not the rule.

Likes vanhees71
I'd also say that overall peer-reviewing works pretty well.

Likes Delta2
vanhees71 said:
I'd also say that overall peer-reviewing works pretty well.

There exists also a comment:
Comment on ‘‘In what frame is a current‐carrying conductor neutral?’’ [Am. J. Phys. 53, 1165 (1985)] A. Hernández, M. A. Valle, and J. M. Aguirregabiria
Source:
https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.15392

The related original paper from Peters is referred in:
vanhees71 said:

That's of course not contradicting the paper and my summary of it. Everything is manifestly Lorentz covariant. The point is to take the right relativistic version of Ohm's Law, which properly takes into account the Hall effect (what Hernandez et all call "reflection"). That's in the last section of my writeup, where I simply solve the problem in the rest frame of the wire using the correct version of Ohm's Law, which is in accordance with Peters's approach arguing in the rest frame of the conduction electrons.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
vanhees71 said:
That's of course not contradicting the paper and my summary of it. Everything is manifestly Lorentz covariant. The point is to take the right relativistic version of Ohm's Law, which properly takes into account the Hall effect (what Hernandez et all call "reflection"). That's in the last section of my writeup, where I simply solve the problem in the rest frame of the wire using the correct version of Ohm's Law, which is in accordance with Peters's approach arguing in the rest frame of the conduction electrons.

I just found a counter-reply:
Peters said:
Reply to ‘‘Comment on ‘In what frame is a current‐carrying conductor neutral?’ ’’
Source:
https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1119/1.15393?journalCode=ajp

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the significance of M. LeBellac & J.M. Levy-Leblond's "Galilean Electromagnetism"?

M. LeBellac & J.M. Levy-Leblond's "Galilean Electromagnetism" is a seminal paper in the field of theoretical physics. It introduced the concept of Galilean invariance, which is the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This concept is important in understanding the fundamental principles of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

2. How does Galilean electromagnetism differ from classical electromagnetism?

Galilean electromagnetism is a modification of classical electromagnetism that takes into account the principle of Galilean invariance. This means that the laws of electromagnetism should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity, regardless of their frame of reference. In classical electromagnetism, the laws are only valid in an inertial frame of reference, which is a frame that is not accelerating. Galilean electromagnetism extends the validity of these laws to all frames of reference, including non-inertial frames.

3. What are some practical applications of Galilean electromagnetism?

Galilean electromagnetism has several practical applications in the fields of physics and engineering. One example is in the design and operation of satellites and spacecraft, where the laws of electromagnetism must be valid in all frames of reference. It also has applications in the study of fluid dynamics, where the motion of fluids is often described using Galilean invariance. Additionally, Galilean electromagnetism is important in the development of new technologies such as high-speed trains and airplanes.

4. How has Galilean electromagnetism been further developed since its introduction?

Since the publication of M. LeBellac & J.M. Levy-Leblond's paper, Galilean electromagnetism has been further developed and refined by many scientists. One major advancement is the incorporation of special relativity, which extends the principles of Galilean invariance to include the speed of light as a fundamental constant. This has led to the development of the theory of electromagnetism in special relativity, which is a more accurate and comprehensive description of the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some current areas of research related to Galilean electromagnetism?

There are several current areas of research related to Galilean electromagnetism. One area is the study of non-inertial frames of reference, where the laws of electromagnetism may behave differently than in inertial frames. Another area is the development of new mathematical techniques and models to better understand and describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in non-inertial frames. Additionally, there is ongoing research into the application of Galilean electromagnetism in areas such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.