Food labels - No magnesium mentioned

In summary: If you think your diet is deficient in magnesium, eat more greens. Chlorophyll contains magmesium, whatever plant species it comes from.
dydxforsn
Recently I've been looking for foods rich in magnesium to experiment with personal nutrition. Although I had found several sources that sited the rich magnesium content of black beans, when I found several brands of the beans at the store, I noticed none of the nutritional labels mentioned magnesium, yet iron (anther trace element) was listed on all of them. Why is this? What determines what goes on a nutritional label and what doesn't? I find it annoying that I have to research my food at a distance from the point of sale :grumpy:

I have a theory about the no doubt lengthy listing of absolutely everything of human nutritional value on a food label, but that's all I can think of.

Sorry if I sound entitled :). (it's probably the case that I'm just being entitled heh..)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Iron is much more popular than magnesium.

Technically, if I'm not mistaken, everything (or as many ingredients/nutrients as possible) is supposed to be listed because of consumer concerns like allergies, lifestyle choices, etc. It may just be laziness on the part of the manufacturer, or perhaps the information you got was incorrect (I don't know, this is not my area of expertise).

I believe that food labels do not need to list trace amounts.

All I can find is this
Food labels also contain information concerning the percent daily values of essential vitamins and minerals found in the product. Vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron percents are always included. Breakfast cereals and other nutrient rich foods often feature a more detailed inventory.
Apparently they are not required to list all vitamins and minerals, just the main essential ones.

Read more: What Items Are Listed on a Food Label? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5074561_items-listed-food-label.html#ixzz29ceQp9z9

Last edited:
Evo said:

I'm imagining my can of corn listing "Uranium" as a trace ingredient.

Drakkith said:
I'm imagining my can of corn listing "Uranium" as a trace ingredient.
LOL! If it listed trace amounts, it would have to list rodent urine, feces, skin, claws, hair, teeth. Insects and the nasty stuff that goes with them. The FDA actually allows for these things to be present in foods. I'm glad that they AREN'T listed.

I don't consider trace amounts to be ingredients or nutrients. However, I do know vegans who won't eat food that has even touched an animal product, so knowing as much as possible would be important to them. Of course, it's not as if I really care, and I'm certain manufacturers don't.

Last edited:
FreeMitya said:
Iron is much more popular than magnesium.

Heh, this just sounds funny, but it's probably the case.

FreeMitya said:
It may just be laziness on the part of the manufacturer, or perhaps the information you got was incorrect (I don't know, this is not my area of expertise).

It was definitely correct (that none of the black bean manufactures labeled magnesium in their products, and I checked 4 or 5 of them in the store.) This may not exactly be a good source: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2 (scroll down to the chart), but it's readily verifiable with other sources as to the magnesium content of black beans in general. Notice that it appears to be more present than iron in black beans, yet it ducks the labeling process.

Evo said:

I know this wasn't in response to me, but just reiterating for the sake of the argument that I believe the iron contents of the beans to be less (based on any metric I can think of - milligrams or % of recommended daily value) than the magnesium contents.

Recommended daily values by the FDA: http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/dailyvalues.htm

Percent of daily value present in black beans: <link was already posted above>

Evo said:
All I can find is this Apparently they are not required to list all vitamins and minerals, just the main essential ones.

Read more: What Items Are Listed on a Food Label? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5074561_items-listed-food-label.html#ixzz29ceQp9z9

This seems to be the case, I'm still looking into the details and why certain things are listed and not others. Certainly magnesium is "essential".

Black beans fall under conventional foods, thus the nutritional labeling is voluntary:
http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/default.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Black beans fall under conventional foods, thus the nutritional labeling is voluntary:
http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/default.htm
That's what I was trying to find!

Thanks Monique!

Also, dydxforsn,do you use www.nutirtiondata.com to look up food values?

Scroll down for minerals. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4419/2

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, if you think your diet is deficient in magnesium, eat more greens. Chlorophyll contains magmesium, whatever plant species it comes from.

1. What is magnesium and why is it important to be mentioned on food labels?

Magnesium is a mineral that is essential for our overall health. It helps regulate muscle and nerve function, maintains a steady heart rhythm, and supports a healthy immune system. It also plays a role in bone and teeth health, energy production, and maintaining normal blood pressure levels. Therefore, it is important for food labels to mention the amount of magnesium in a product so consumers can make informed decisions about their nutrition.

2. Why would a food label not mention magnesium?

There are a few reasons why a food label may not mention magnesium. One reason could be that the product does not contain a significant amount of magnesium, therefore it is not required to be listed on the label. Another reason could be that the product is not required to have a nutrition label, such as with fresh fruits and vegetables. Lastly, some food manufacturers may choose not to list magnesium on their labels, even if the product contains it, due to space limitations or marketing strategies.

3. How can I ensure that I am getting enough magnesium in my diet if it is not listed on food labels?

If you are concerned about your magnesium intake, there are a few ways to ensure you are getting enough in your diet. One way is to eat a variety of whole foods, such as leafy greens, nuts and seeds, legumes, and whole grains, which are all good sources of magnesium. You can also take a magnesium supplement, but it's important to speak with your doctor before starting any new supplement. Additionally, keeping track of your daily intake using a food journal or nutrition tracking app can help you monitor your magnesium intake.

4. Are there any negative consequences to not having magnesium listed on food labels?

The lack of magnesium on food labels does not have any negative consequences on its own. However, not knowing the magnesium content of a food product can make it more difficult for individuals to track their intake and ensure they are meeting their daily requirements. This may be especially concerning for those with certain health conditions, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, who may need to monitor their magnesium intake for optimal health.

5. Is it important for all food labels to mention magnesium?

No, it is not necessary for all food labels to mention magnesium. The FDA requires the listing of certain nutrients, including magnesium, on food labels only if the product contains a significant amount of the nutrient. This means that foods with very low levels of magnesium, such as processed snacks or beverages, may not be required to list it on their labels. However, for individuals who are looking to increase their magnesium intake, it may be helpful to look for products that do list magnesium on the label.