For a throttling valve, why is it that temperature remains the same?

In summary, the two things happening are that the pressure decreases, which causes expansion cooling, and that friction is responsible for the pressure drop, which causes viscous heating.
Carbon273
For a throttling valve C.V analysis, I am wondering why is it known that temperature remains the same for ideal gases. I understand that using the energy balance equation, I end up with h1=h2. Pretty simple so far. By breaking down enthalpy into its components u1+P1v1 = u2+P2v2 I realized that we have an equation set with 1 DOF. If I were to increase internal energy from inlet to outlet, a corresponding decrease in flow energy would occur and vice versa. If I were to increase flow energy, It would lead into a decrease of internal energy, which is usually accompanied by a decrease in temperature (measured by the joule thomson coeeficient) from my understanding. However, it is known that for ideal gases, temperature remains the same as it is constrained (or is a function according my textbook) by enthalpy h=h(T). The book did not seem go into much detail so here I am.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Carbon273 said:
For a throttling valve C.V analysis, I am wondering why is it known that temperature remains the same for ideal gases. I understand that using the energy balance equation, I end up with h1=h2. Pretty simple so far. By breaking down enthalpy into its components u1+P1v1 = u2+P2v2 I realized that we have an equation set with 1 DOF. If I were to increase internal energy from inlet to outlet, a corresponding decrease in flow energy would occur and vice versa. If I were to increase flow energy, It would lead into a decrease of internal energy, which is usually accompanied by a decrease in temperature (measured by the joule thomson coeeficient) from my understanding. However, it is known that for ideal gases, temperature remains the same as it is constrained (or is a function according my textbook) by enthalpy h=h(T). The book did not seem go into much detail so here I am.

Thanks in advance.
There are two things happening. First, the pressure of the gas decreases in passing through the throttle valve, so there is a tendency for it to experience expansion cooling. Second, (viscous) friction is responsible for the pressure drop, so there is viscous heating occurring within the throttle. For an ideal gas, these two effects exactly cancel out. (On the other hand, for an incompressible fluid, the expansion cooling is not occurring, so the fluid experiences a temperature rise due to viscous heating).

Chestermiller said:
There are two things happening. First, the pressure of the gas decreases in passing through the throttle valve, so there is a tendency for it to experience expansion cooling. Second, (viscous) friction is responsible for the pressure drop, so there is viscous heating occurring within the throttle. For an ideal gas, these two effects exactly cancel out. (On the other hand, for an incompressible fluid, the expansion cooling is not occurring, so the fluid experiences a temperature rise due to viscous heating).

You know that is really cool. That’s really interesting. Thanks for that.

Likes Chestermiller

1. Why does temperature remain constant in a throttling valve?

The temperature remains constant in a throttling valve because it is an adiabatic process, meaning there is no heat transfer between the fluid and its surroundings. This is due to the rapid expansion of the fluid as it passes through the valve, causing a decrease in pressure without a change in temperature.

2. How does a throttling valve affect temperature?

A throttling valve causes a decrease in temperature due to the Joule-Thomson effect. As the fluid expands rapidly through the valve, it experiences a decrease in pressure and therefore a decrease in temperature.

3. Can temperature change in a throttling valve?

Technically, temperature can change in a throttling valve if there is a change in the composition of the fluid. However, in most cases, the temperature remains constant due to the adiabatic process and the Joule-Thomson effect.

4. Is a throttling valve an isothermal process?

No, a throttling valve is not an isothermal process. As the fluid expands and experiences a decrease in pressure, its temperature also decreases. This means that the process is not occurring at a constant temperature.

5. How does a throttling valve maintain a constant temperature?

A throttling valve maintains a constant temperature through the Joule-Thomson effect, where the rapid expansion of the fluid causes a decrease in pressure and temperature. Additionally, the adiabatic process also helps to keep the temperature constant by preventing heat transfer between the fluid and its surroundings.