For all cricket fans or for those who have a genral idea of what cricket is

• Thread starter Kartik.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary: The batsmen crossed each other before the ball was caught, so the second batsman is in strike for the last ball and hits a four for his century.
Kartik.
Last two batsmen are at strike. Both have scored a total of 96 runs each. 2 balls remain and the team needs 5 runs to win.Both batsmen intend to complete their centuries(100).Devise a way in which both the batsmen can complete their centuries?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't we have more cricket threads??

The first batter hits a four and the second either a four or six. They need five runs to win so if the first batter hits a four then that gets him his century and means the other batter just needs one run to win the match. If he gets a four or six then they win and he gets his century.

Ryan_m_b said:
Why don't we have more cricket threads??

The first batter hits a four and the second either a four or six. They need five runs to win so if the first batter hits a four then that gets him his century and means the other batter just needs one run to win the match. If he gets a four or six then they win and he gets his century.

Except that once the first batter hits a 4, he remains on strike, so his partner never gets a chance. If he scores even one run off the next ball, the game ends and his partner misses his century. If he misses the next ball, the game ends with a loss.

All this happens at the tail end of a single over, so you can't rely on the over ending to rotate the strike.

Curious3141 said:
Except that once the first batter hits a 4, he remains on strike, so his partner never gets a chance. If he scores even one run off the next ball, the game ends and his partner misses his century. If he misses the next ball, the game ends with a loss.

All this happens at the tail end of a single over, so you can't rely on the over ending to rotate the strike.
Damn that's true, I forgot about the batters not swapping...hmm...

Ryan_m_b said:
Damn that's true, I forgot about the batters not swapping...hmm...

I can't see a way to make this happen, even allowing for extras yielded by the fielding team.

Presumably "two balls remain" implies this is a limited overs match. In some limited overs rules, no-balls have to be bowled again and the batter gets a "free hit" (no fielding position changes allowed, etc), so "two balls" doesn't literally mean "two".

If on the first ball, they try for 5. On the second, the other batsman can hit for a 4.

Or alternatively more reasonable approach is first batsman hit 4 and then 1. Now there's a tie and second batsman is playing. Second batsman can hit 4 if an extra over is allowed.

Total wild guess. The first ball is a no ball but it's hit for three runs and the no ball counts as a run to the batsman because he hit the ball. The other batsman is now at the crease and can hit a four or six.

The first ball is a no ball but it 's hit for three runs and the no ball counts as a run to the batsman because he hit the ball .
The extra run for the no ball goes into "extras" and not into the batsman's account.
The interesting part of this puzzle is that the first batsman has to score less than 5 runs, else the match would be over in the penultimate ball and the other batsman wouldn't get a chance. Even if he does manage to run for the 4 runs by misfielding or overthrows, he ends up striking the last ball. And the rule which awards five runs if it hits the helmet doesn't help either.

BTW why isn't this thread in Brain Teasers?

An absurd but plausible solution:
The first batsman hits the ball very very high so that by the time the ball is caught, the batsmen have run four and crossed each other for the fifth. The first batsman has scored 4 runs, has his century and is out. Since the batsmen crossed over (the second batsman nearer to the striker end than the other batsman) before the ball was caught, the second batsman is in strike for the last ball, hits a four for his century and they win.

No, if you're caught you don't get runs, but the batsman could be run out taking a 5th run. That way he'd get 4 and the 2nd would be on strike.

No , if you 're caught you don ' t get runs, but the batsman could be run out taking a 5 th run . That way he'd get 4 and the 2 nd would be on strike .

That's a better plausibility.
But I think u may be wrong here. I have seen singles taken before the ball is caught and the run awarded to the batsmen. The highest no. of runs scored before the ball is caught (that I could find) was three runs scored way back in 1932.
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4514865

According to the current laws of cricket I am correct. The relevant rule is http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-18-scoring-runs,44,AR.html. Maybe things were different in the past. I can't comment on your link as it didn't open for me.

That's interesting. Can u give me a link where I can read about the specific law you mentioned? As for the link, it opens fine for me now.

I included a hyperlink in my post, does it not open for you?

Your link worked for me this time, though it doesn't appear to contradict my claim. It says the batsmen ran 3 while the ball was in the air, not that 3 were awarded to the batsman after the catch had been taken. It's common practice for batsmen to run while the ball is in the air, the reasoning being that if the fielder drops it the runs will count.

Got the link now. It's quite a challenge picking out links in posts in my mobile with no difference in text color. Guess I am wrong then. Great link by the way.

Last two batsmen are at strike.

surajt88 said:
The first batsman hits the ball very very high so that by the time the ball is caught,the second batsman is in strike for the last ball, hits a four for his century and they win.

Can't bat without a partnership.

xxChrisxx said:
Can't bat without a partnership.

I forgot about them being the last two batsmen. Is there definitely a positive resolution to this? I'm struggling to see how it could be done.

short run trick.

1st batsman hits ball and the ball is lost in field or outfield is too slow that they run 5 runs. but umpire calls one of those runs as short run.
therefore 1st man gets 100.2nd on strike,1 more to win ,he hits four/six to complete his century.

Last edited:
Good answer.

Related to For all cricket fans or for those who have a genral idea of what cricket is

What is cricket?

Cricket is a bat-and-ball sport played between two teams of eleven players on a field called a pitch. The objective of the game is to score more runs than the opposing team by hitting a ball with a bat and running between the wickets.

How is cricket played?

Cricket is played with two teams of eleven players each. One team bats while the other team bowls and fields. The batting team tries to score runs by hitting the ball and running between the wickets. The bowling team tries to get the batting team's players out by hitting the wickets or catching the ball.

What are the main components of a cricket match?

A cricket match consists of two innings, where each team gets a chance to bat and bowl. Each innings is divided into overs, with each over consisting of six deliveries or balls. The team with the most runs at the end of the match wins.

What are the different formats of cricket?

There are three main formats of cricket: Test, One Day International (ODI), and Twenty20 (T20). Test matches are played over five days with each team batting twice. ODI matches have a limited number of overs (usually 50) and are completed in one day. T20 matches have the shortest format with each team playing 20 overs.

How is a winner determined in a tied cricket match?

In the event of a tied match, the result is determined by a super over, where each team gets one over to bat and bowl. If the super over is also tied, the team with the most boundaries (fours and sixes) during their innings is declared the winner. If the number of boundaries is also equal, then the team that lost fewer wickets during their innings is declared the winner.