Determine all integers ## n ##

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary: Hence ##p=3## and ##P=\dfrac{3}{2}\cdot \dfrac{p}{p-1}\in \mathbb{Z}## only if ##p=3.## So we have ##n=3^t\cdot 2^s## with ##t,s\in \mathbb{N}## and ##t\geq 0.##This is our necessary condition.Is it also sufficient? Are all numbers ##n=r^s\cdot 3^t## with ##s\geq 1\, , \,t\geq 0## solutions to ##\varphi (n)\,|\,n\;
Math100
Homework Statement
Determine all integers ## n ## for which ## \phi(n) ## is a divisor of ## n ##.
Relevant Equations
None.
Observe that ## \phi(1)=\phi(2)=1 ##.
This implies ## \phi(1)\mid 1 ## and ## \phi(2)\mid 2 ##.
Thus ## n=1 ##.
Let ## n=p_{r}^{k_{1}}\dotsb p_{s}^{k_{s}} ## be the prime factorization of ## n ##.
Then ## \phi(n)=n\prod_{p\mid n} (1-\frac{1}{p}) ##.
Suppose ## \phi(n)\mid n ##.
Then ## \frac{n}{\phi(n)}=(\prod_{p\mid n} \frac{p}{p-1}) ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z^{+}} ##.
Note that the prime divisors of ## n ## must be ## 2 ## or ## 3 ## for ## n>1 ##, because ## p-1 ## is even for ## p\geq 3 ##.
Therefore, all integers ## n ## for which ## \phi(n) ## is a divisor of ## n ## are ## 1, 2^{r} ## and ## 2^{r}3^{j} ## for some ## r, j\in\mathbb{N} ##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Determine all integers ## n ## for which ## \phi(n) ## is a divisor of ## n ##.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Observe that ## \phi(1)=\phi(2)=1 ##.
This implies ## \phi(1)\mid 1 ## and ## \phi(2)\mid 2 ##.
Thus ## n=1 ##.
Let ## n=p_{r}^{k_{1}}\dotsb p_{s}^{k_{s}} ## be the prime factorization of ## n ##.
Then ## \phi(n)=n\prod_{p\mid n} (1-\frac{1}{p}) ##.
Suppose ## \phi(n)\mid n ##.
Then ## \frac{n}{\phi(n)}=(\prod_{p\mid n} \frac{p}{p-1}) ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z^{+}} ##.
Note that the prime divisors of ## n ## must be ## 2 ## or ## 3 ## for ## n>1 ##, because ## p-1 ## is even for ## p\geq 3 ##.
Therefore, all integers ## n ## for which ## \phi(n) ## is a divisor of ## n ## are ## 1, 2^{r} ## and ## 2^{r}3^{j} ## for some ## r, j\in\mathbb{N} ##.
Looks good. I would write it differently.

We have ##\varphi (n)=n\cdot \displaystyle{\prod_{p|n}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{p}\right)}## and thus
$$
\dfrac{n}{\varphi (n)}=\prod_{p|n}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{p}\right)^{-1}=\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1}
$$
The necessary condition is that ##P:=\displaystyle{\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1} } \in \mathbb{Z}.##

From here on I have difficulties with your rigor, which means you lost me.

If ##p\geq 3## then ##\dfrac{p}{p-1}=\dfrac{2m+1}{2m}.## So ##P\in \mathbb{Z}## only if ##2m## occurs in the numerator again without creating new denominators, i.e. is a power of ##2,## say ##2m=2^k.## Then ##\varphi (p\cdot 2^k)=2^{k-1}\cdot (p-1) \,|\,(p\cdot 2^k)## if ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\,|\,p## which is only possible for ##p=3## and ##k\geq 1.##

So ##n=r^s\cdot 3^t## with ##s\in \mathbb{N}## and ##t \in \mathbb{N}_0:=\mathbb{N}\cup \{0\}.##

This is our necessary condition. (You have forgotten that all powers of ##2## without any ##3's## are a solution, and any power of ##3's## require at least one ##2.##)

Is it also sufficient? Are all numbers ##n=r^s\cdot 3^t## with ##s\geq 1\, , \,t\geq 0## solutions to ##\varphi (n)\,|\,n\;?##

fresh_42 said:
Looks good. I would write it differently.

We have ##\varphi (n)=n\cdot \displaystyle{\prod_{p|n}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{p}\right)}## and thus
$$
\dfrac{n}{\varphi (n)}=\prod_{p|n}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{p}\right)^{-1}=\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1}
$$
The necessary condition is that ##P:=\displaystyle{\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1} } \in \mathbb{Z}.##

From here on I have difficulties with your rigor, which means you lost me.

If ##p\geq 3## then ##\dfrac{p}{p-1}=\dfrac{2m+1}{2m}.## So ##P\in \mathbb{Z}## only if ##2m## occurs in the numerator again without creating new denominators, i.e. is a power of ##2,## say ##2m=2^k.## Then ##\varphi (p\cdot 2^k)=2^{k-1}\cdot (p-1) \,|\,(p\cdot 2^k)## if ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\,|\,p## which is only possible for ##p=3## and ##k\geq 1.##

So ##n=r^s\cdot 3^t## with ##s\in \mathbb{N}## and ##t \in \mathbb{N}_0:=\mathbb{N}\cup \{0\}.##

This is our necessary condition. (You have forgotten that all powers of ##2## without any ##3's## are a solution, and any power of ##3's## require at least one ##2.##)

Is it also sufficient? Are all numbers ##n=r^s\cdot 3^t## with ##s\geq 1\, , \,t\geq 0## solutions to ##\varphi (n)\,|\,n\;?##
Not all numbers ## n=r^{s}\cdot 3^{t} ## with ## s\geq 1, t\geq 0 ## are solutions to ## \phi(n)\mid n ##.

Math100 said:
Not all numbers ## n=r^{s}\cdot 3^{t} ## with ## s\geq 1, t\geq 0 ## are solutions to ## \phi(n)\mid n ##.
Sorry. Big typo! I meant ##r=2.##

fresh_42 said:
Sorry. Big typo! I meant ##r=2.##
Yes, the counterexample is ## r=1, s=2, t=1 ##. Because then we have ## \phi(3)\nmid 3 ##.

And yes, all numbers ## n=2^{s}\cdot 3^{t} ## with ## s\geq 1, t\geq 0 ## are solutions to ## \phi(n)\mid n ##.

Suppose ## n=2^{s}\cdot 3^{t} ## with ## s\geq 1, t\geq 0 ##.
Then ## \phi(n)=\phi(2^{s})\phi(3^{t})=2^{s-1}\cdot 3^{t-1}\cdot 2=2^{s}\cdot 3^{t-1} ##.
Thus ## \phi(n)\mid n ## for ## n=2^{s}\cdot 3^{t} ##.

Likes fresh_42
So how should I explain this part in the middle of my proof after mentioning the ## p\geq 3 ## part? Do I insert/add ## 2m=2^{k} ## part?

Math100 said:
So how should I explain this part in the middle of my proof after mentioning the ## p\geq 3 ## part? Do I insert/add ## 2m=2^{k} ## part?
It is the essential part. I didn't get it in your version, so I wrote my own to convince myself. But, I am afraid, my version isn't perfect either. "... occurs in the numerator again without creating new denominators ..." isn't very professional. But my start was fine. Proofs in algebra are basically always indirect: What if ...

I think this is better:

If ##p\geq 3## Then ##P\in \mathbb{Z}## means
$$\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1}=\dfrac{2m+1}{2m}\prod_{p|n,p\neq 2m+1}\dfrac{p}{p-1}\in \mathbb{Z}
$$
This requires ##2|p'## for another prime ##p'## and ##m=1## which means ##p=2\cdot 1+1=3.##

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
It is the essential part. I didn't get it in your version, so I wrote my own to convince myself. But, I am afraid, my version isn't perfect either. "... occurs in the numerator again without creating new denominators ..." isn't very professional. But my start was fine. Proofs in algebra are basically always indirect: What if ...

I think this is better:

If ##p\geq 3## Then ##P\in \mathbb{Z}## means ##\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{p}{p-1}=\prod_{p|n}\dfrac{2m+1}{2m}## This requires ##2|n## and ##m=1## which means ##p=2\cdot 1+1=3.##
Yes, sorry, it's all my fault. I was trying to form this proof based on my textbook's answer, so it was very vague. I like your version much more.

Math100 said:
Yes, sorry, it's all my fault. I was trying to form this proof based on my textbook's answer, so it was very vague. I like your version much more.
Reload the page. I corrected the formula a bit.

Likes Math100

1. What does it mean to "determine all integers ## n ##"?

When we say to "determine all integers ## n ##", we are asking for a list of all whole numbers that satisfy a certain condition or property. For example, we may want to determine all integers ## n ## that are divisible by 3.

2. How do you determine all integers ## n ## that satisfy a given condition?

The process of determining all integers ## n ## that satisfy a given condition will vary depending on the specific condition. In general, we can use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, number patterns, and logical reasoning to find all possible solutions.

3. Can there be an infinite number of integers ## n ## that satisfy a given condition?

Yes, it is possible for there to be an infinite number of integers ## n ## that satisfy a given condition. For example, if we are looking for all integers ## n ## that are divisible by 2, there are an infinite number of solutions (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.).

4. What is the importance of determining all integers ## n ##?

Determining all integers ## n ## is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to find patterns and relationships between numbers, make predictions, and solve problems. In some cases, determining all integers ## n ## can also help us prove theorems and make generalizations.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can make determining all integers ## n ## easier?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can make determining all integers ## n ## easier. These include using algebraic equations, creating tables or graphs, and using computer programs or calculators to assist with calculations. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of number properties and mathematical concepts.