For which initial values does the differential equation have a unique solution

In summary, the homework statement is that with y(0) = y0, dy/dx = y^{\frac 2 3}. Separating variables gives 3y^{\frac 1 3} and integrating gives 3y^{\frac 1 3} + c. rearranging gives y(x) = \left( \frac{x + c}{3} \right)^{3}. Solving for y0 and initial value y(0) gives c = 3y01/3 and y0 = \left( \frac{c}{3}\right)^{3}. When new initial conditions are given of y(0) = y03 != 0, the solution becomes y(x) = \left(\
sunrah

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = y^{\frac{2}{3}}[/itex] with y(0) = y0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

after separating variables:

[itex] \frac{dy}{y^{\frac{2}{3}}} = dx [/itex]

then integrating:

[itex] 3y^{\frac{1}{3}} = x + c [/itex]

and rearranging:

[itex]y(x) = \left( \frac{x + c}{3} \right)^{3}[/itex]

after solving for initial value, y(0) = y0:

c = 3y01/3

therefore

[itex]y_{0} = \left( \frac{c}{3}\right)^{3}[/itex]

is that what they're asking for? I believe that would give a unique solution, no? also the question is explicit with values is this plurality given by the constant c?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi sunrah! :smile:
sunrah said:
[itex]y(x) = \left( \frac{x + c}{3} \right)^{3}[/itex]

after solving for initial value, y(0) = y0:

c = 3y01/3

therefore

[itex]y_{0} = \left( \frac{c}{3}\right)^{3}[/itex]

no, from c = 3y01/3,

go back and put that value of c into the previous equation :wink:

hi tiny-tim!
thanks I should have known. I have another question:
when does a solution become no longer unique.

so if we are given new initial conditions of y(0) = y03 != 0

the solution becomes [itex]y(x) = \left(\frac{x - y_{0}}{3}\right)^{3}[/itex]

this is no longer unique for y(x) = 0?

(actually [itex]y(x) = \left(\frac{x}{3} - y_{0}\right)^{3}[/itex])

looks unique to me :confused:

and where does y(x) = 0 come from ??

yes sorry c = 3y0.

the questions asks when the solution with initial condition y(0) = y03 != 0 becomes non-unique.

I don't have any ideas I thought maybe when x = -3y0 but I#m just guessing.

If you take ##y_0=0## so ##y(0)=0## and apply that to your solution$$
y(x) =\left ( \frac{x+c}{3}\right)^3$$you get ##c=0##, giving a perfectly good solution ##y=\frac {x^3}{27}##, which you can check solves the DE and ##y(0)=0##.

But the question is whether that solution is unique. What does your existence and uniqueness theorem for ##y'=f(x,y),\ y(x_0)=y_0## require in terms of hypotheses to guarantee a unique solution. Are those hypotheses satisfied in this case? If they are you know the solution is unique. If they aren't, the solution isn't guaranteed to be unique, although it might be. If the solution might not be unique, maybe you can find another. This question is about that theorem. What does the theorem say about ##y_0## for this ##f(x,y)=y^{\frac 2 3}## to guarantee uniqueness?

Last edited:
Hi LCKurtz,

well y0 != 0 zero because [itex]\frac{df(0,y_{0})}{dy}[/itex] is undefined. so it doesn't guaranty a unique solution.

sunrah said:
Hi LCKurtz,

well y0 != 0 zero because [itex]\frac{df(0,y_{0})}{dy}[/itex] is undefined. so it doesn't guaranty a unique solution.

OK, that much is correct. Are there any other values ##y_0## can't be? Does the theorem work OK if ##y_0## is, for example, a very small nonzero number? You need to know exactly which ##y_0## are OK; it isn't enough to say it can't be zero without checking all the other possibilities.

And since you do know at least that ##y_0\ne 0## that means the solution might not be unique. Can you find another? Hint: It's very easy...

ok so for y(0) = y03 != 0

f(x,y) = y2/3

f(0,y03) = y02

and

[itex]\frac{d f(0,y_{0}^{3}}{dy} = \frac{2}{3y_{0}}[/itex]

but this means that the solution is unique because y0 != 0

so I don't get the second part at all!

LCKurtz said:
Can you find another? Hint: It's very easy...

i thought that the unique solution is given when y0 = (c/3)^3

I'm talking about my example solution ##y = \frac {x^3}{27}## satisfying ##y(0)=0##. There might be another solution satisfying ##y(0)=0## because the uniqueness theorem doesn't hold in this case. Can you find one by inspection?

I have to leave for a few hours now; will check back in later.

Related to For which initial values does the differential equation have a unique solution

1. What exactly is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model dynamic systems and predict their behavior over time.

2. Why is it important to find unique solutions for a differential equation?

Finding a unique solution for a differential equation is necessary to accurately model and predict the behavior of a dynamic system. It ensures that there is only one possible outcome for a given set of initial conditions, eliminating any ambiguity or confusion.

3. How do you determine the initial values for a differential equation?

The initial values for a differential equation are typically given in the problem statement or can be obtained through experimentation or observation. They represent the starting conditions of the system and are used to find a unique solution.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one unique solution?

Yes, it is possible for a differential equation to have multiple unique solutions. This typically occurs when the initial values are not enough to determine a single solution, or when the equation has multiple variables and parameters that can lead to different outcomes.

5. How can you verify if a differential equation has a unique solution?

To verify if a differential equation has a unique solution, you can use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. These methods can help you solve the equation and check for any potential issues or inconsistencies.