Forbes Article claims inevitable war

• News
  • Thread starter rmalik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary: Yeah, I don't think anyone wants that to happen again. In summary, the Iranian opposition leaders canceled protests this week due to lack of support from the population. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called the cancellation "regrettable," but missed the larger point. The reform these two men offer is not what the majority of Iranians want: They want an end to the current Islamic regime. War with Iran is not inevitable, but I think it's more likely than not.
rmalik
What do you think?

Last week, Iran's opposition leaders Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi canceled anti-government demonstrations timed to commemorate the anniversary of last year's disputed presidential election. Secretary of the State Hillary Clinton called the cancellation "regrettable," but missed the larger point. The reform these two men offer is not what the majority of Iranians want: They want an end to the current Islamic regime.

One year ago, the Obama administration missed an opportunity to support Iran's uprising. They mistakenly calculated that back-door negotiations with Iran's clerics and promises made by its rulers would bring cooperation on the nuclear issue. The Americans were duped and now find themselves grasping for another chance to support an Iranian uprising.
Source: http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/21/iran-nuclear-israel-war-opinions-reza-kahlili.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem I have is with the idea that the majority of Iranians want regime change.

Even if one believes that Ahmadinejad won last year's election by fraud, that still doesn't equate to a desire for regime change. It might not even equate for a desire to have Ahmadinejad replaced as Iran's President. And even if a majority didn't support him in the election, his support was at least a very strong minority.

In actuality, a large majority of the population supports their current government system, even if their opinion of how well each is performing can go up and down. (Currently, all of Iran's government institutions have higher approval ratings than the US Congress, yet a majority of Americans wouldn't support the overthrow of our government.)

Even more problematic is the fact Iran seeking nuclear power is one of the major sticking points in relations between Iran and the Western powers - and the majority of Iranians support Iran seeking nuclear power. I'm not sure replacing just Ahmadinejad, or replacing the entire regime would resolve one of the major issues in relations - except for the fact that regime change would probably cause enough internal disruption that Iran would be less capable of successfully pursuing nuclear power for many years.

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brmiddleeastnafricara/652.php (I have to admit I have a hard time judging which international polls might be more legitimate than others, so I'm open to a poll from a better source.)

I think the fear of a nuclear Iran makes war feasible; but I think it's unlikely - not inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think a nuclear iran is inevitable. they're simply too sharp not to. the sticking point, of course, is all the destroying israel rhetoric. and a lot of that rhetoric is probably just aimed at the fundy bumpkins (not so different from here, really). i think they do it mostly for local politics, but it will be their undoing. if it weren't for that, I'm not sure we'd care so much. they'd be like India, we'd just accept it as fact, and probably start opening customer service call centers there.

Proton Soup said:
i think a nuclear iran is inevitable. they're simply too sharp not to. the sticking point, of course, is all the destroying israel rhetoric. and a lot of that rhetoric is probably just aimed at the fundy bumpkins (not so different from here, really). i think they do it mostly for local politics, but it will be their undoing. if it weren't for that, I'm not sure we'd care so much. they'd be like India, we'd just accept it as fact, and probably start opening customer service call centers there.

Not too many people speak English in Iran... wait that didn't keep them from opening call centers in India, nevermind. :smile:

Hey, guys, remember what happened last time Iran tried to be progressive?

Related to Forbes Article claims inevitable war

1. What is the "Forbes Article claims inevitable war" about?

The article is about a claim made by Forbes magazine that a war is inevitable in the near future.

2. What evidence does the Forbes article provide to support this claim?

The article cites various political tensions and conflicts around the world, as well as the increasing arms race and military spending, as indicators of an impending war.

3. Is there any counterargument to the claim made in the article?

While the article presents a strong argument for an inevitable war, there are differing opinions and viewpoints on the topic. Some experts believe that diplomatic efforts and international cooperation can prevent a war from happening.

4. How does the Forbes article suggest we can prepare for this possible war?

The article suggests that countries should increase their military capabilities and alliances, as well as invest in advanced technology and weapons to defend themselves in case of a war.

5. What are the potential consequences of an inevitable war?

The consequences of a war can be devastating, including loss of human life, destruction of infrastructure, and economic turmoil. It can also lead to long-lasting political and social consequences, affecting the entire world. It is important to continue efforts towards peace and prevention of war.

Back