Force applied at an angle to a box?

In summary, a net force of 4N is applied to a 6kg box while moving it a distance of 3m to the right. The work done on the box is 12J. When the force is applied at a 30 degree angle above horizontal, the work done remains the same as the force and distance are unchanged. Equation (1) is used for both questions, taking into account the angle in the calculation.
Affie

Homework Statement

A net force of 4N to the right is applied to a box of 6kg while moving it a distance of 3m to the right.
(1)How much work is done on the box?
(2)What if the force is applied at a 30 degree angle above horizontal?

Homework Equations

(1) W=Fdcos(angle)
(2) F=ma
(3) W=Kf-Ki=((1/2)mv^2)-((1/2)mv^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, to find the work done on the box, I plugged numbers into equation (1).
W=(4N)(3m)cos(0)
Cos(0)=1, W=12J

I don't even know where to begin for question (2). It seems to me that, in order to caclulate Force, I need the acceleration to plug into equation 2, or I need velocities to calculate work in equation (3). I have neither, and I can't think of any other applicable equations. I assumed friction was negligable since it was not mentioned.

Physics news on Phys.org
why wouldn't plugging numbers in equation 2 work here as well? You already have the force.

Okay, I feel crazy. I got work and force mixed up and what the questions were asking mixed up. I feel dumb.

So, equation (1) is used for both questions. The force is the same, the distance is the same, the only thing that changes is the angle.

Thanks.

Related to Force applied at an angle to a box?

1. What is the definition of force applied at an angle to a box?

The force applied at an angle to a box is a vector quantity that describes the push or pull exerted on the box, where the direction of the force is not directly along the surface of the box but at an angle to it.

2. How is the force applied at an angle to a box calculated?

The force applied at an angle to a box can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, and a is the acceleration produced by the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force applied at an angle to a box?

The magnitude of the force applied at an angle to a box is affected by the mass of the box, the angle of the force, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface it is resting on.

4. How does the angle of the force affect the motion of the box?

The angle of the force affects the motion of the box by determining the direction and magnitude of the acceleration. If the force is applied at an angle, the box will experience both a horizontal and vertical acceleration, resulting in a curved path of motion.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of the force and the normal force on the box?

The normal force on the box is equal to the component of the force applied at an angle that is perpendicular to the surface of the box. Therefore, as the angle of the force increases, the normal force also increases, resulting in a greater frictional force and a smaller net acceleration of the box.