Force between 2 Point Charges Across Frames

In summary, the net force between two point charges in their rest frame is given by F=q2/4πε0r2, whereas in a frame where they are moving, the net force (including the magnetic force) is given by F'=F/ϒ. However, the transformations for the electric and magnetic fields in this frame are incorrect, and the correct formula for F' is F'=F/ϒ.
silverrahul
TL;DR Summary
The force between 2 moving point charges in the lab frame should be 1/ϒ times the force in their rest frame. But my calculations are showing 1/ϒ^2 times the force in rest frame. Where am i going wrong ?
So, i was trying to calculate, the net force between 2 point charges in their rest frame, and in a frame where they are moving.

So, assume, there are 2 point charges each of charge +q.
They are r distance apart from each other and moving parallel to each other with a speed v relative to a lab observer.So , in the unprimed frame, i.e. the rest frame of the point charges.
Net force of repulsion between them F = q2/4πε0r2Whereas in the primed frame , i.e the lab frame,
Net force ( including the magnetic force ) = F' = q2/4πε0r2 - μ0q2 v2/4πr2

Upon rearranging the terms of F', it results in F' = F / ϒ2

But, it was my understanding that F' should be equal to F / ϒ
Can someone please point out where i am going wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of electric field is measured when charge q flies past a measuring device at speed v?

The maximum value is: ##E=\gamma(v)*q/4πε_0r##

silverrahul said:
No , i think it should be E=q/4πε0r2
That's for the rest frame of the charge. If you transform the E field into frame where the charge moves, it gets length contracted, and thus stronger perpendicular to the motion, but weaker in line with the motion.

Electric-Field-of-a-Charged-Particle.png

From: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Electric-Field-of-a-Charged-Particle_fig2_2177605

Likes silverrahul
A.T. said:
That's for the rest frame of the charge. If you transform the E field into frame where the charge moves, it gets length contracted, and thus stronger perpendicular to the motion, but weaker in line with the motion.From: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Electric-Field-of-a-Charged-Particle_fig2_2177605
Thanks a lot for this . I had no idea about this, i will look it up to see if it helps

silverrahul said:
Summary:: The force between 2 moving point charges in the lab frame should be 1/ϒ times the force in their rest frame. But my calculations are showing 1/ϒ^2 times the force in rest frame. Where am i going wrong ?

Whereas in the primed frame , i.e the lab frame,
Net force ( including the magnetic force ) = F' = q2/4πε0r2 - μ0q2 v2/4πr2
Your transformations for the E field are incorrect. See here for details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism_and_special_relativity#The_E_and_B_fields

In this case since in the rest frame ##\vec B=0## and since ##r## is perpendicular to ##v## (meaning also that ##\vec E## is perpendicular to ##v##) we have: $$\vec E'=\gamma(\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B)-(\gamma - 1)(\vec E \cdot \hat v) \hat v= \gamma \vec E$$ $$ \vec B' = \gamma \left(\vec B - \frac{\vec v \times \vec E}{c^2} \right) - (\gamma - 1) (\vec B \cdot \hat v)\hat v = - \frac{\gamma}{c^2} \vec v \times \vec E$$ so then ##\vec F' = q \vec E' + q \vec v \times \vec B'## which gives $$F'= q \gamma \vec E + q \vec v \times (-\frac{\gamma}{c^2} \vec v \times \vec E) = q \gamma \vec E - q \gamma \frac{ v^2}{c^2} \vec E = \frac{q}{\gamma}\vec E$$

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between two point charges across frames?

The formula for calculating the force between two point charges across frames is given by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force (F) is equal to the product of the two charges (q1 and q2) divided by the square of the distance (r) between them, multiplied by the constant of proportionality (k). This can be written as F = k * (q1 * q2 / r^2).

2. How is the force between two point charges affected by the distance between them?

The force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the force between two point charges?

The unit of measurement for the force between two point charges is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the force between two point charges be both attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the force between two point charges can be both attractive and repulsive. If the two charges have opposite signs (one positive and one negative), the force between them will be attractive. If the two charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force between them will be repulsive.

5. How does the presence of a third charge affect the force between two point charges?

The presence of a third charge can affect the force between two point charges by either increasing or decreasing it. This is due to the fact that the third charge can either attract or repel one of the two original charges, thus changing the overall force between them. The exact effect will depend on the magnitude and location of the third charge.