Force between Two Conducting Spheres

In summary: I agree with you that it is important to understand the direction of the force. I was just trying to clarify the specific question being asked and the answer that was being provided.
EmilyfromOH

Homework Statement

Two tiny conducting spheres are identical and carry charges of -19.4 μC and +49.3 μC. They are separated by a distance of 2.55 cm. What is the magnitude of the force that each sphere experiences?

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law: F=kelq1q2l/r2
Ke = 8.99E9

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I write down the numbers is how I put them into my calculator.
F=((8.99E9)(-19.4E-6)(49.3E-6)) / ((2.55E-2)2)
F= -8.5982158 / 6.5025E-4
F=-13222.9385
but magnitude can't be negative so it would be
F= 13222.9385 N

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried multiple tries at reworking/entering the problem into the calculator to see if I'm somehow messing it up, however I keep getting the same answer.
F=[((-19.4E-6)(49.3E-6)) / ((2.55E-2)2)] * (8.99E9)= 1.47084967E-6 * (8.99E9) = 13222.9385 N
F=(8.99E9)(-19.4E-6)(49.3E-6) = -8.5982158 ; (2.55E-2)2 =6.5025E.4 ; F= -8.5982158 / 6.5025E.4 = 13222.9385 N

Help would be greatly appriciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, EmilyfromOH. Welcome to PF.

EmilyfromOH said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law: F=kelq1q2l/r2
Ke = 8.99E9

Note the absolute value signs in the formula. When you want the magnitude of the force, use the absolute values of the charges.

TSny said:
Hello, EmilyfromOH. Welcome to PF.

Note the absolute value signs in the formula. When you want the magnitude of the force, use the absolute values of the charges.

When I did the calculations with the abs value, the number tuned out the same.

Note |(-2)(+3)| = |-6| = 6 (a positive result).

Likewise |(-2)(-3)| = |6| = 6 (a positive result again)

So, no matter what the sign of the charges, |q1q2| will yield a positive number. All of the other numbers in Coulomb's law are also positive. So, F must come out positive.

Realizing this, there is no need to include any negative signs with the charges when plugging into your calculator while calculating F. Just plug in their absolute values.

(But be careful: There are formulas for other quantities in electricity where you will need to include the signs of the charges and the answers for those quantities can be negative.)

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Note |(-2)(+3)| = |-6| = 6 (a positive result).

Likewise |(-2)(-3)| = |6| = 6 (a positive result again)

So, no matter what the sign of the charges, |q1q2| will yield a positive number. All of the other numbers in Coulomb's law are also positive. So, F must come out positive.

Realizing this, there is no need to include any negative signs with the charges when plugging into your calculator while calculating F. Just plug in their absolute values.

(But be careful: There are formulas for other quantities in electricity where you will need to include the signs of the charges and the answers for those quantities can be negative.)

Ok, thanks a lot, that was very helpful!

wtf? Force is a vector, so it has direction ... a positive direction is NOT the same as a negative direction.
Your calculator entry is flawless, the correct answer IS -13.22 kN away from the other charge ...
"negative away" means "toward" the other charge; each attracts the other.
This is very different than a +19μC charge and a +24μC charge: they would repel, not attract.

probably you're entering the numerical value wrong into the on-line text-box, or messing the units entry.

Hi, lightgrav. The question asks for the magnitude of the force on each sphere. So, a positive answer would be required.

the OP knew that in the very first post; but thought that her computed positive value was wrong anyway.
(probably because it didn't match the mistaken "answer key" - that was her real issue!)
Your comments (and her textbook) could mislead her into thinking that Coulomb Forces are always positive.
Sorry, but that approach ignores the most important feature of a Force, so we should carefully avoid it.

Yes, the OP knew she had to find the magnitude. I thought maybe you had overlooked that point, since you said the the correct answer IS negative. I thought by "answer", you were referring to the answer to the OP question since you suggested that she was not entering the answer correctly into the online text-box.

Sorry for any misinterpretation.

Related to Force between Two Conducting Spheres

1. What is the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is the electrostatic force of attraction or repulsion between the two spheres due to the presence of electric charge on their surfaces.

2. How is the force between two conducting spheres calculated?

The force between two conducting spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between two conducting spheres?

The force between two conducting spheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the spheres, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them.

4. Can the force between two conducting spheres be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, the force between two conducting spheres can only be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges on the spheres. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.

5. How does the presence of a third conducting sphere affect the force between two conducting spheres?

The presence of a third conducting sphere between two conducting spheres can alter the force between them by redistributing the charges on the spheres and changing the electric field between them. This can result in either an increase or decrease in the force between the two spheres, depending on the location and charge of the third sphere.