Force Calculation for bending of TOR steel bars

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help in calculating the force required to bend a 20mm diameter and 12m long tor steel bar into a hairpin shape. The suggestion is made to consult a mechanics of materials textbook and a source on plastic bending of beams. The person asking for help expresses gratitude for the response.
Mradul Jha
Hello everyone,

I need some help to calculate the force required to bend a tor steel bar of dia 20mm and 12 m long from the centre. I want to bend it like a hair pin and need to know how much force is exactly required to do so. Any help or resource would be great.

Regards,
Mradul

Engineering news on Phys.org
jrmichler said:
Did you look in your undergrad mechanics of materials textbook? Usually they have a section on plastic bending, although it is not typically covered in class. Here is a good source on the plastic bending of beams: https://www.codecogs.com/library/engineering/materials/plastic-theory-of-bending.php. You can also use the following search terms: plastic bending of beams.
Thank you jrmichler for the response.
Appreciate your input.

Likes berkeman

1. How do you calculate the bending force for TOR steel bars?

The bending force for TOR steel bars can be calculated using the formula F = (M*y)/I, where F is the bending force, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section of the steel bar.

2. What is the maximum bending force that a TOR steel bar can withstand?

The maximum bending force that a TOR steel bar can withstand depends on the type and grade of the steel bar. Generally, TOR steel bars have a yield strength of 415 MPa, which means they can withstand a maximum bending force of 415 Newtons per square millimeter (N/mm2).

3. How does the diameter of a TOR steel bar affect the bending force?

The diameter of a TOR steel bar has a direct impact on the bending force it can withstand. The larger the diameter, the higher the bending force it can withstand. This is because a larger diameter results in a higher moment of inertia, making the steel bar stronger and more resistant to bending forces.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the bending force of TOR steel bars?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the bending force of TOR steel bars. These include the length of the steel bar, the type of loading (e.g. static or dynamic), and the type of support (e.g. fixed or pinned). These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the bending force for TOR steel bars.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my force calculation for bending of TOR steel bars?

To ensure the accuracy of your force calculation for bending of TOR steel bars, it is important to use the correct formula and input accurate values for all variables. Additionally, it is recommended to double check your calculations and seek guidance from a structural engineer if needed. It is also important to use high-quality TOR steel bars from reputable manufacturers to ensure their strength and reliability.