Force calculation - Gripper (Torsion Spring)

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving the use of a torsion spring to open and close a gripper for holding a circular tube. The tube is made of SS316 and the gripper is made of Aluminium 6061. The force on the spring depends on the way it is preloaded and there is not enough information provided to calculate the spring load. Different methods of making the spring can result in varying levels of force when the gripper is closed and when the tube is inserted.
psugumaran
Hi,

Currently I am working on a project to find out the force required to open/close the gripper for holding a circular tube. I have used torsion spring between the two gripper and it will work like a clip. The circular tube is SS316 and the gripper is made out of Aluminium 6061.

Stainless tube 316 OD = 30mm and ID=20mm (Attached figure for reference) length of the tube = 100mm

Please help me how to calculate the force on torsional spring. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Torsion spring_Calculation.JPG
    Torsion spring_Calculation.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If I correctly understand your figure, the force on the spring depends on the way you preload the spring which is a function of the unloaded versus loaded spring geometry. Your figure shows the loaded geometry, but not the unloaded geometry, so there is not enough information to evaluate the spring force.

Thanks for your reply. You are right, spring is preloaded when the gripper is in closed position. The gripper has to be opened by manual pressing (finger) force then the circular tube is pressed into the gripper to hold it in position (Attached Figure for reference)
I thought of using double torsion spring in the gripper, It will work like opening and closing of hair clip. Hope this will give you a clear idea.

Attachments

• Gripper opening_Torsion.JPG
    Gripper opening_Torsion.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 905
There is still not enough information to calculate the spring load.

It all depends on how the spring is made.

For example, the spring could be made such that, with the gripper closed, there is no force in the spring and consequently no contact force between the gripper and the tube (even though the gripper is "closed.")

For a second example, with a spring made differently, with nothing in the gripper (no tube), the ends of the gripper could be pressed together with some very high force, and when the tube is inserted, an even higher contact force will develop.

It all depends upon how the spring is made (as I think I said previously).

1. How do you calculate the force of a torsion spring?

The force of a torsion spring can be calculated using the formula: F = kθ, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the spring constant in N/m, and θ is the angular displacement in radians.

2. What is a torsion spring used for?

A torsion spring is commonly used in mechanisms where rotational force or torque is needed, such as in door handles, car suspensions, and mousetraps.

3. How do you determine the spring constant of a torsion spring?

The spring constant of a torsion spring can be determined by dividing the torque by the angular displacement. The resulting value is the spring constant in units of N/m.

4. What factors affect the force of a torsion spring?

The force of a torsion spring is affected by the spring's dimensions, material, and number of coils. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and overloading.

5. How do you choose the right torsion spring for a specific application?

The right torsion spring for a specific application depends on the required force, angular displacement, and dimensions of the application. It is important to consider these factors and select a spring with a suitable spring constant to ensure optimal performance.