Force generate by compressed nitrogen at different volume

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with compressed gas at 10,000PSI to test a seal. Two different cases were conducted, one with a smaller volume (V1) and the other with a larger volume (V2). The results showed that the seal was able to sustain 10,000PSI in the first case, but only 8,000PSI in the second case. The conversation then delves into a discussion about load comparison using the ideal gas law, with the conclusion that the load on the seal in the second case may be 10 times higher than in the first case. However, there is a warning against inexperienced handling of compressed gas.
yudhi_chen
Dear All,

I have a question regarding compressed gas. I'm doing some experiment for testing some seal (see hatch area on sketch below) at 10,000PSI by using nitrogen gas. in this experiment, i accidentally got some different result based on two different situation. you can see my experiment sketch in this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByzWTPTJnMGzTDlwbE1Ea0ItRzQ/view?usp=sharing.

case 1:
I apply nitrogen at confined space with volume 1 (V1) to reach 10,000PSI at room temperature. the seal was able to sustain 10,000PSI without leakage.
case 2:
I apply nitrogen at confined space with volume 2 (V2) which I'm sure larger than V1 to reach 10,000PSI at room temperature. It took longer time to build up pressure than case 1 (longer time leads to more consumption of nitrogen gas occupied at confined space) and the seal was only capable to sustain up to 8,000PSI before it leak.

from this two experiment, one thing that I'm sure, even at the same pressure, the seal shall be exposed to higher load at case 2 with bigger volume. Any body can help me to explain why and what is load comparison [in force unit, e.g. lbf] that exposed to the seal?

I try to get some sense from ideal gas law PV = mRT. in this particular case, i can cancel out pressure (P), R, and temperature (T) since this experiment was done at room temperature ambient and same pressure 10,000PSI, which leaves volume (V) and mass (m).

then i compare case 1 and case 2: V1/m1 = V2/m2.
if V1 = 1cu.ft, V2 = 10cu.ft then m2 shall be 10 times of m1.

from this idea, I'm thinking that the load that exposed to the seal in case 2 shall be 10 times higher than case 1. Can somebody help me to cross check my understanding or correct me on how do i get load comparison between these 2 cases?

Regards,

Yudhi

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressures and volumes like this can kill you, and based on your post you do not have the required knowledge to operate with them safely. Let an expert do this, please. We won't offer help with dangerous activities here.

1) What is compressed nitrogen and how does it generate force?

Compressed nitrogen is nitrogen gas that has been compressed into a smaller volume, typically in a tank or cylinder. When the gas is released, it expands rapidly, generating force due to the pressure difference between the compressed gas and the surrounding atmosphere.

2) How does the volume of compressed nitrogen affect the force it generates?

The force generated by compressed nitrogen is directly proportional to the volume of the gas. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, so does the force it generates. Conversely, decreasing the volume will result in a decrease in force.

3) What factors can affect the force generated by compressed nitrogen at different volumes?

Aside from volume, other factors that can affect the force generated by compressed nitrogen include the initial pressure of the gas, the temperature, and the rate at which the gas is released. These factors can impact the final force output and should be considered when designing experiments or applications.

4) How is the force generated by compressed nitrogen measured?

The force generated by compressed nitrogen can be measured using a pressure gauge or sensor. This device will measure the pressure of the gas, which can then be used to calculate the force using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT).

5) What are some common applications of using compressed nitrogen to generate force?

Compressed nitrogen is commonly used to generate force in various industrial and scientific applications. Some examples include powering pneumatic tools, actuating valves and cylinders, inflating tires and airbags, and providing pressure for chemical processing. It is also used in experiments and demonstrations to showcase the effects of pressure and force on different materials.