Force messenger particles -graviton

In summary, it appears that the "graviton" is not necessary for the explanation of gravity, but is still an interesting concept to keep in mind.
rmshepherd
hi all this is my first post i am not a physicist but i do have a basic understanding, at least more than the average person on the street i guess.
my main problem is a lack of mathmatical understanding which holds me back but does not stop me enjoying physics.

i have a question i would like to get some feedback on so here goes

i recently watched a lecture that stated there are several particles that act like force messenger particles one of which is the graviton

so if gravitons are moving between the Earth and the moon they are in effect saying to each other "be atracted to each other" which has me scratching me head i was under the impression that gravitational atraction was due to the geomitry of curved space time ie the sun warps space time trapping the Earth in a gravity well

so why the need for a graviton ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rmshepherd ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
rmshepherd said:
… if gravitons are moving between the Earth and the moon they are in effect saying to each other "be atracted to each other" which has me scratching me head i was under the impression that gravitational atraction was due to the geomitry of curved space time ie the sun warps space time trapping the Earth in a gravity well

so why the need for a graviton ?

"curved space time" is general relativity.

"messenger particles" (or mediating bosons) are quantum field theory.

As you've probably read elsewhere, general relativity and quantum theory are two different mathematical approaches which nobody has yet managed to reconcile with each other (ie, to "unify").

(usually we say that quantum theory applies for very small distances, and general relativity and the rest of physics applies for larger distances)

So we don't need gravitons to explain gravity …

unless we want to unify quantum theory with the rest of physics. :wink:

(as to whether gravitons actually move between the Earth and the Moon, see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386721")

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i see so in quantum physics relative effects play no part in the mathmatical model ?

i have read about the compatibilty problems with quantum physics and gravity as a layman
it seems to me though that if general relativity is an acurate model this would dismiss the graviton even if the math cannot be reconciled.

in the quantum model are there any ideas as to the workings of the graviton or any indications that that particle would be important in terms of gravity if it was found to exist (im assuming it hasnt been found yet dangerous i know)

i don't expect hard answers i just enjoy the debate

1. What is a force messenger particle?

A force messenger particle is a theoretical particle that is believed to carry and mediate the forces between particles in the universe. These forces include the strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, electromagnetic force, and gravity.

2. What is a graviton?

A graviton is a hypothetical particle that is thought to be the carrier of the force of gravity. It is predicted by theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, but has not yet been observed or proven to exist.

3. How does a graviton work?

A graviton is believed to work by interacting with other particles in the universe, transmitting the force of gravity between them. It is thought to have zero mass and travel at the speed of light, similar to other force messenger particles.

4. Can gravitons be detected?

As of now, gravitons have not been detected or observed directly. This is because their effects are incredibly small and difficult to measure. However, scientists are working on experiments and technologies that may one day be able to detect gravitons.

5. What is the significance of finding gravitons?

If gravitons are discovered, it would confirm the existence of the force of gravity as a quantum force, and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It could also help reconcile the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which currently have conflicting explanations for the force of gravity.