Force needed to rotate a drum

In summary: Sorry, I'm not comfortable ignoring the balancing issue. That will cause you to use a much bigger diameter shaft and drum structure. Could you please run this question by your instructor? And see if you can find out what RPM is used by typical...In summary, the desired speed for this particular application is 6500 rpm. To ensure a stable system, it is important to design for stability.
PatPat
I need to make sure that my drum which is connected to a shaft and with load of 30kg is able to rotate at 6500rpm.

mass of drum : 15kg, diameter 0.6m, length, 0.6m
mass of shaft : 11kg, length = 1m, diameter, 0.043m
mass of load : 15kg
desired speed : 6500rpm in 30minutes.

How can I determine my motor power that can turn my system? Can someone guide me with my problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
PatPat said:
I need to make sure that my drum which is connected to a shaft and with load of 30kg is able to rotate at 6500rpm.

mass of drum : 15kg, diameter 0.6m, length, 0.6m
mass of shaft : 11kg, length = 1m, diameter, 0.043m
mass of load : 15kg
desired speed : 6500rpm in 30minutes.

How can I determine my motor power that can turn my system? Can someone guide me with my problem?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That's a pretty fast rotational speed for that mass. What is the application? How are you ensuring a balanced system so that vibration does not tear it apart?

What is your background in mechanical design? Have you done this sort of project in the past?

Likes wormbread
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That's a pretty fast rotational speed for that mass. What is the application? How are you ensuring a balanced system so that vibration does not tear it apart?

What is your background in mechanical design? Have you done this sort of project in the past?
Thank youu!

Its for my engineering design project . A high rotational speed drum to dry food. We are working in a group and we just need to create a simulation. Not the actual thing. I'm not sure about the balancing stuff as we're not stressed on such issue.

My part was to design the shaft for the drum dryer (the most important thing is to determine the shaft's diameter), to determine the mass of the drum and shaft and how many torque is required in order to rotate these three to 6500rpm.

I'm not sure if my diameter calculation is even correct, but we're using SS304 as the material. And I calculated roughly about 43mm diameter for the shaft. 1 meter long.

This is my first time working for such project.

PatPat said:
Its for my engineering design project . A high rotational speed drum to dry food. We are working in a group and we just need to create a simulation. Not the actual thing. I'm not sure about the balancing stuff as we're not stressed on such issue.

My part was to design the shaft for the drum dryer (the most important thing is to determine the shaft's diameter), to determine the mass of the drum and shaft and how many torque is required in order to rotate these three to 6500rpm.
Well, at that rotational speed, designing for stability is going to be a major part of the project. You will see it in simulation if you do a good enough simulation -- the stresses on the bearings and drum structure will tear the apparatus apart. Whose idea is the 6500 RPM? Is it a design requirement from the instructor for the project? Or is is a number just thrown out there by the students in response to a more basic problem statement.

Do you know what real-world designs use for centrifugal food drying?

berkeman said:
Well, at that rotational speed, designing for stability is going to be a major part of the project. You will see it in simulation if you do a good enough simulation -- the stresses on the bearings and drum structure will tear the apparatus apart. Whose idea is the 6500 RPM? Is it a design requirement from the instructor for the project? Or is is a number just thrown out there by the students in response to a more basic problem statement.

Do you know what real-world designs use for centrifugal food drying?

Yeah it's the design requirement set by our lecturer. I'm not sure myself about those kind of stresses, as I have very low exposure to real life design and application.

Sadly but no ;/

However, just IF we're to ignore the balancing part, can you please give me a jump start to calculate for the shaft's diameter?

PatPat said:
Yeah it's the design requirement set by our lecturer. I'm not sure myself about those kind of stresses, as I have very low exposure to real life design and application.

Sadly but no ;/

However, just IF we're to ignore the balancing part, can you please give me a jump start to calculate for the shaft's diameter?
Sorry, I'm not comfortable ignoring the balancing issue. That will cause you to use a much bigger diameter shaft and drum structure. Could you please run this question by your instructor?

And see if you can find out what RPM is used by typical centrifugal food dryers like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cen...3gP_TAhVQ8GMKHeArCjMQsAQIlgE&biw=1244&bih=897

I could see maybe 600 RPM withe a moderate amount of balancing effort, but 6500 RPM seems way too difficult to me. But others here may have other opinions...

berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm not comfortable ignoring the balancing issue. That will cause you to use a much bigger diameter shaft and drum structure. Could you please run this question by your instructor?

And see if you can find out what RPM is used by typical centrifugal food dryers like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cen...3gP_TAhVQ8GMKHeArCjMQsAQIlgE&biw=1244&bih=897

I could see maybe 600 RPM withe a moderate amount of balancing effort, but 6500 RPM seems way too difficult to me. But others here may have other opinions...

But let's just assume that my instructor give a what you would say a recommended rpm. Can you guide me on how to design the diameter? Which way should I start looking at.

Rather than shaft mount this system, have you considered using multiple roller supports? This will take an unbalanced load much more easily than a shaft in bending.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What is the definition of force needed to rotate a drum?

The force needed to rotate a drum is the amount of energy or effort required to turn the drum on its axis.

2. How is the force needed to rotate a drum calculated?

The force needed to rotate a drum can be calculated by multiplying the torque, or turning force, by the radius of the drum. This is known as the rotational work equation: Force = Torque x Radius.

3. What factors affect the force needed to rotate a drum?

The force needed to rotate a drum is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the drum, the friction between the drum and its support, and the speed at which the drum is rotating.

4. How can the force needed to rotate a drum be increased?

The force needed to rotate a drum can be increased by increasing the torque applied, increasing the radius of the drum, or decreasing the friction between the drum and its support.

5. Why is it important to consider the force needed to rotate a drum?

Understanding the force needed to rotate a drum is important in many applications, such as designing machinery or calculating the power needed to turn a rotating object. It also plays a role in preventing accidents or damage that can occur if the force required to rotate a drum is too high.