Force on a body due to pressure of a fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an anti-symmetric object floating in water and if it can move left or right due to a force imbalance. The use of the divergence theorem and pressure changes with position are mentioned, along with the application of the theorem to floating objects. The conversation also touches on the concept of stability and equilibrium for floating objects, as well as the potential violation of thermodynamic laws with a self-propelling boat.
better361
  • If I placed a anti-symmetric object in water, and if it floats,is it possible for it to move left or right due to a force imbalance in calculating [tex] \int p * \vec{dA} [/tex].
  • I know that if the object is a closed surface, we can apply the divergence theorem and because we also know how pressure changes with position ([itex]\rho g z [/itex]), we can prove that the resultant force can only be in the z direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I have something that it very anti-symmetric and floats.

Ohh, and correction to my second statement, "I know I know that if the object is a closed surface, and if it is completely submerged, we can apply the..."

So which pressure are you talking here? Are we applying any pressure from above, equivalent to the formula mentioned?? Or is it the pressure inside?? It's that I'm not clear about the procedure here.

You can still apply the divergence theorem when the object floats. The only difference is that the pressure gradient changes at the water surface.

Likes better361 and GlenMedina
better361 said:
  • If I placed a anti-symmetric object in water, and if it floats,is it possible for it to move left or right due to a force imbalance in calculating [tex] \int p * \vec{dA} [/tex].
Don't you think, that after thousands of years of building boats, we would have found that self-propelling hull shape by now?

@GlenMedina Essentially, I am talking about the buoyant force.
@Orodruin Wait, so divergence theorem still holds even if the vector field is discontinuous in a sense?
@A.T. : I guess not, but I can only put this to rest with a mathematical or very thorough physical explanation . :)

better361 said:
Wait, so divergence theorem still holds even if the vector field is discontinuous in a sense?
Yes, you can show it for distributions in general. As long as you are careful with what you do with the discontinuities you will be fine. In this case the discontinuity is in the derivative of the pressure field and the integral is well defined without any further assumptions. It is worse for point charges and other types of singularities where the discontinuities essentially give you delta functions.

Ok, thanks! Also, can you link me to somewhere/some book that explains how to deal with discontinuities? I suspect it would just be in any regular multi book, but I just remember them saying when stuff isn't "nice", you can't apply the theorem.

better361 said:
I just remember them saying when stuff isn't "nice", you can't apply the theorem.
How about considering the pressure forces from air and water separately? The two partial object surfaces aren't closed, but the missing parts are planar and horizontal, so they cannot introduce any horizontal force disbalance.

better361 said:
I suspect it would just be in any regular multi book, but I just remember them saying when stuff isn't "nice", you can't apply the theorem.

This is true for the theorem as it is usually presented. If you allow for distributions where things such as ##\Delta \phi(\vec x) = - \delta^{(3)}(\vec x)## are well defined, you will essentially be safe also in these cases.

Edit: The way this would be handled with the "usual" theorem would be to use the fact that the ##\delta## function is zero (and therefore nice) everywhere except at ##\vec x = 0## to rewrite integrals as an integral over a small surface around ##\vec x = 0##.

better361 said:
  • I know that if the object is a closed surface, we can apply the divergence theorem and because we also know how pressure changes with position ([itex]\rho g z [/itex]), we can prove that the resultant force can only be in the z direction.
Floating objects tend to try to find a point of stability, such that the buoyant force and the weight of the object line up to produce zero net moment. Once stability is achieved, the object is in equilibrium and remains motionless until some external force disturbs its equilibrium.

A.T. said:
How about considering the pressure forces from air and water separately? The two partial object surfaces aren't closed, but the missing parts are planar and horizontal, so they cannot introduce any horizontal force disbalance.

Do you mean the surface that intersects the horizontal plane at the surface? So if I had a sphere where half of it is submerged, the missing part would be the great circle around the equator?

If you could have a boat that just accelerated due to equal pressure of the water on two asymmetric sides, then that would violate laws of thermodynamics.

How so?

Well, you would get work for free.

FAQ: Force on a body due to pressure of a fluid

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a body due to pressure of a fluid?

The formula for calculating the force on a body due to pressure of a fluid is F = P x A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area.

2. How does the depth of the fluid affect the force on a body due to pressure?

The deeper the fluid, the greater the force on a body due to pressure. This is because the weight of the fluid above the body increases with depth, creating more pressure.

3. Does the density of the fluid have an impact on the force on a body due to pressure?

Yes, the density of the fluid does have an impact on the force on a body due to pressure. A denser fluid will exert more force on a body compared to a less dense fluid, even if the pressure is the same.

4. How does the shape of a body affect the force on it due to pressure of a fluid?

The shape of a body does not affect the force on it due to pressure of a fluid. The force is solely determined by the pressure and the area of the body.

5. Can the direction of the force on a body due to pressure of a fluid change?

Yes, the direction of the force on a body due to pressure of a fluid can change depending on the shape and orientation of the body. If the surface of the body is not perpendicular to the fluid flow, the force will be split into two components: one perpendicular and one parallel to the surface.

Back