Why do we feel pressure from the downside in a liquid

In summary: The pressure force from the bottom side of that final cube points downward on whatever object sits below it.
Frigus
We know that pressure at a point in liquid is due weight of water couloum above that point but why does we experience force from downside face of object

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hemant said:
We know that pressure at a point in liquid is due weight of water couloum above that point but why does we experience force from downside face of object
If you make a hole in water, the water will move to fill the hole. If you want a hole to persist, you have to apply a force.

Likes jrmichler and russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
If you make a hole in water, the water will move to fill the hole. If you want a hole to persist, you have to apply a force.

Sir I want to say that when if if I put an object in liquid,that object will also feels an pressure from downside and I want to know why object feels that pressure from downside

Hemant said:
Sir I want to say that when if if I put an object in liquid,that object will also feels an pressure from downside and I want to know why object feels that pressure from downside
Ever poked a hole in the bottom of a boat?

• Love
Likes jrmichler, anorlunda and russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
Ever poked a hole in the bottom of a boat?
Thanks sir,I understand what you want to say, thanks a lot

You can trace the behavior back to Pascal's law.

Suppose that you have a body of fluid such as water and suppose that the fluid is at rest in a stable condition. Draw an imaginary lattice dividing the water up into a bunch of tiny cubes. Focus your attention on one such cube of water.

The pressure on the front and back of the cube must match -- otherwise the water in that cube would start flowing. That would violate the assumption that the water is stable. Similarly, the pressure on the left and right of the cube must match.

The pressure on the top and bottom must also match, nearly. The discrepancy is the weight of the fluid in the cube. The pressure on the bottom must be just enough higher than the pressure on the top that it balances the weight of the water. That's where ##P=\rho g h## comes from.

Now trace a path through a chain of cubes, the pressure at the far end of the chain will match the pressure at the near end plus a correction for ##P=\rho g h## where h is the height differential between the two ends. As was discussed above, the pressure at the top and bottom of the final cube will be nearly identical.

The pressure force from the top side of that final cube points upward on whatever object sits above it.

Likes jrmichler

1. Why do objects sink in liquids?

Objects sink in liquids because of the force of gravity pulling them towards the bottom of the liquid. This force is greater than the upward force of buoyancy, which is the force exerted by the liquid on the object.

2. What causes pressure from the downside in a liquid?

Pressure from the downside in a liquid is caused by the weight of the liquid above pushing down on the object. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and it increases with depth in the liquid.

3. How does the density of a liquid affect the pressure from the downside?

The density of a liquid directly affects the pressure from the downside. A denser liquid will exert a greater pressure on an object than a less dense liquid at the same depth. This is because the weight of the liquid is greater in a denser liquid, resulting in a higher hydrostatic pressure.

4. Why do we feel more pressure at greater depths in a liquid?

We feel more pressure at greater depths in a liquid because there is more liquid above us, exerting a greater downward force. This results in a higher hydrostatic pressure at greater depths.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the pressure it feels from the downside in a liquid?

The shape of an object does not affect the pressure it feels from the downside in a liquid. The pressure is determined by the depth and density of the liquid, not the shape of the object. However, the shape of an object can affect the buoyancy force, which can impact the overall pressure experienced by the object.