Force on a dipole in a non uniform electric field

In summary: I have not consider the perpendicular forces, since they cause a torque and not a field.But I don't think the middle figure (diagram) and the bottom figure (diagram) are correct.It's from the book titled "Basic Laws of Electromagnetism" by IE IrodovI think the drawings are correct. There are three ways to see thisWork out the formula explicitlyConsider the dipole as two point chargesConsider the force on the point charge from the dipole field (equal and opposite Newton pair) if you can picture the dipole field
Shreya
Homework Statement
Prove that the direction of the force on the dipole is as indicated in the diagram
Relevant Equations
F = partial derivative of p* E
I have figured out how the force is towards left in the first case. I think it is due to the larger force on - charge.
Please help me out with the second and third case.

IMG_20210725_055311.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Something looks off (i.e., "wrong") with the problem statement. I'm hoping your instructor didn't give you a bad problem, but it's not unheard of. Then again maybe I'm missing something myself.

From what I can tell, middle and bottom parts look wrong, although maybe the middle part is a trick question.

You haven't shown any work so we're not allowed to help help you until you do. Allow me to correct your statement,

Shreya said:
Relevant Equations:: F=p*(partial derivative of E with respect to direction of p )

That's not quite right. The partial derivative is not necessarily in respect to the direction of [itex] \vec p [/itex], but rather with respect to the spatial coordinates. [itex] \vec F [/itex], [itex] \vec p [/itex], and [itex] \vec E [/itex] are all vectors, and they should be all subject to the chosen coordinate system.

It's true that
[tex] \vec F = \left( \vec p \cdot \vec \nabla \right) \vec E [/tex]

and in Cartesian coordinates this becomes,
[tex] \vec F = \left( p_x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + p_y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + p_z \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \right) \vec E [/tex]

but that's still not enough to reconcile the middle and bottom parts, unless maybe I'm missing something.

• Is the dipole in question just an electric dipole (as opposed to a magnetic dipole), and nothing is presently moving?
  • Are all three parts intended to be taken separately (i.e., not all charges are all present simultaneously)?
  • Is there anything else in this problem that wasn't stated in the problem statement, such as other constraints or other charges or fields around?
  • Can you use my equation in Cartesian coordinates (above) to show that there is something wrong with the middle and bottom figures?
[Edit: Nevermind. I was misinterpreting the problem statement. The diagrams are fine.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2 and Shreya
collinsmark said:
You haven't shown any work so we're not allowed to help help you until you do.
For the first case, the attractive force on the negative charge is greater than the repulsion on the positive.
So net force is towards left.

Shreya said:
For the first case, the attractive force on the negative charge is greater than the repulsion on the positive.
So net force is towards left.
Right. I'll agree with that.

But I don't think the middle figure (diagram) and the bottom figure (diagram) are correct. [Edit: Nevermind.]

Likes Shreya
collinsmark said:
Is the dipole in question just an electric dipole
Yes, that's what I have understood.
collinsmark said:
Are all three parts intended to be taken separately (i.e., not all charges are all present simultaneously)?
The question is to find the net force on the dipole due to the positive charge q (on the left).
They are not separate systems
collinsmark said:
Can you use my equation in Cartesian coordinates (above) to show that there is something wrong with the middle and bottom figures?
I don't know where to start.

collinsmark said:
I'm hoping your instructor didn't give you a bad problem
I think the drawings are correct. There are three ways to see this
  1. Work out the formula explicitly
  2. Consider the dipole as two point charges
  3. Consider the force on the point charge from the dipole field (equal and opposite Newton pair) if you can picture the dipole field
For the OP: do all three!

• Informative
Likes collinsmark and Shreya
collinsmark said:
Right. I'll agree with that.

But I don't think the middle figure and the bottom figure are correct.
For the second case, can you please check if my reasoning is right?
IMG_20210725_090207.jpg

Likes hutchphd and collinsmark
Shreya said:
View attachment 286528
I have not consider the perpendicular forces, since they cause a torque and not a field.

Likes hutchphd
collinsmark said:
But I don't think the middle figure (diagram) and the bottom figure (diagram) are correct.
It's from the book titled "Basic Laws of Electromagnetism" by IE Irodov

hutchphd said:
I think the drawings are correct. There are three ways to see this
  1. Work out the formula explicitly
  2. Consider the dipole as two point charges
  3. Consider the force on the point charge from the dipole field (equal and opposite Newton pair) if you can picture the dipole field
For the OP: do all three!
Yes, you are correct. I was misinterpreting the problem statement, after all. Sorry about that.

Shreya said:
View attachment 286528

That's right right idea. :smile:

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and Shreya
collinsmark said:
The partial derivative is not necessarily in respect to the direction of p→, but rather with respect to the spatial coordinates
So, the partial derivative must be taken with x, y and z?
I am not very comfortable with partial derivative , so I confused myself

Will this work in the 3rd case?

IMG_20210725_091340.jpg

Likes collinsmark
Shreya said:
So, the partial derivative must be taken with x, y and z?
I am not very comfortable with partial derivative , so I confused myself
You ultimately get to choose the coordinate system. So if you choose the coordinate system such that it always lines up (for example the x-axis) with the direction of [itex] \vec p [/itex] then you initial statement was correct.

Being able to use other coordinate systems is more flexible though.

For example in the future, you might have a system with two dipoles in different directions. So for at least one of the dipoles its direction won't line up so nicely.

• Informative
Likes Shreya
collinsmark said:
You ultimately get to choose the coordinate system. So if you choose the coordinate system such that it always lines up (for example the x-axis) with the direction of p→ then you initial statement was correct.
Thanks a lot, collinsmark!

Likes collinsmark
Thank you Collinsmark and Hutchphd for helping me through this problem! 🙂🙏

Likes hutchphd and collinsmark

1. What is a dipole in the context of an electric field?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. In the context of an electric field, it refers to a system where the charges experience a net force due to the non-uniform distribution of electric field lines.

2. How is the force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field calculated?

The force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field is calculated by taking the product of the dipole moment and the gradient of the electric field at the location of the dipole. This can be represented mathematically as F = p * ∇E, where F is the force, p is the dipole moment, and ∇E is the gradient of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field?

The force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the charges in the dipole, and the orientation of the dipole with respect to the electric field lines. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the surrounding area can also affect the force on the dipole.

4. How does the force on a dipole change as the distance between the charges is varied?

The force on a dipole in a non-uniform electric field is directly proportional to the distance between the charges in the dipole. As the distance between the charges increases, the force on the dipole decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can a dipole experience a net force of zero in a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, it is possible for a dipole to experience a net force of zero in a non-uniform electric field. This occurs when the dipole is aligned parallel to the electric field lines, as the forces on the positive and negative charges cancel each other out.