Force on a magnet in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two parallel fields, one with a non-zero gradient in the z-direction and the other with a magnetic moment. The speaker assumes that the x and y components of both fields are zero due to their parallel nature, but is unsure how to proceed. The other speaker corrects this assumption and explains that the field depends on the position of the magnet, leading to a force. The force is determined by the gradient of the dot product of the two fields.
TheBigDig
Homework Statement
Deduce an expression for the force on a magnet in a field gradient dB/dz assuming m || B
Relevant Equations
[tex]E = -\vec{m}\cdot \vec{B}[/tex]
[tex] \vec{F} = \nabla (\vec{m}\cdot \vec{B}) [/tex]
So I'm kinda stumped. I'm assuming that since ##\vec{m}||\vec{B}##, the x and y components of both are zero. But I'm unsure how to take this further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you assume that the x and y components are zero? The only thing you have been told is that the field has a non-zero gradient in the z-direction.

Orodruin said:
Why do you assume that the x and y components are zero?
I assumed that because the fields are parallel to one another. But you're right, that isn't strong enough reasoning. If you take the dot product of m and B you'll get ##\vec{m}\cdot\vec{B} = mBcos\theta ##. But I don't see how that'll help me.

No, you get ##mB##, the angle is zero since ##\vec m## and ##\vec B## are parallel. However, the field depends on the position.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by position

The field has a gradient and therefore depends on where the magnet is located, i.e., the position. This is what leads to a force.

Okay, so if the magnet was located at the origin how would that affect the field?

Forget the origin. All you need to know is the gradient at the point where it is actually located.

Forgive me for being dense but what'll that imply for the force?

The force is the gradient of ##\vec m \cdot \vec B##. If that quantity depends on position, then there will be a force.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that surrounds a magnet or any material that has a magnetic property. It is the area in which the force of a magnet can be felt.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a magnet?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a magnet, causing it to either attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. This force is strongest at the poles of the magnet.

3. What is the force on a magnet in a magnetic field?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnet's own magnetic field. This force can either attract or repel the magnet depending on the orientation of the two fields.

4. How can the force on a magnet in a magnetic field be calculated?

The force on a magnet in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = BIl, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Teslas, I is the current in Amperes, and l is the length of the magnet in meters.

5. Can the force on a magnet in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the force on a magnet in a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the magnetic field, or by changing the properties of the magnet itself, such as its size or orientation.