Force on a Pulley: Understanding Tension and Tangents

In summary, the author considers a short arc of the circle subtending angle Δθ at the centre. They take a radius in the middle of that and construct the tangent at that point, as well as tangents at each end of the arc. Can you see that the tangents at the end each make angle Δθ/2 to the tangent in the middle?
user240

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding an example given in K&K's Intro to Mechanics textbook.

'A string with tension ##T## is deflected through an angle ##\theta_0## by a smooth fixed pulley. What is the force on the pulley'.

I don't understand how (in the first picture) they got the horizontal force from the tension to be ##Tsin(\theta_0)##, unless the angle I've circled in red is somehow ##\theta_0## also. In which case, how would you prove that?

I also don't get how (second picture) they found the force from the string tension to be ##Tsin(\frac{\Delta\theta}{2})##.

Attachments

• pulley1.png
    pulley1.png
    4 KB · Views: 563
  • pulley2.png
    pulley2.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 728
Physics news on Phys.org
user240 said:
I don't understand how (in the first picture) they got the horizontal force from the tension to be ##Tsin(\theta_0)##, unless the angle I've circled in red is somehow ##\theta_0## also. In which case, how would you prove that?

The string is tangent to the pulley ...

By ##\boldsymbol T_1## denote the tension force from above (in the first picture) and by ##\boldsymbol T_2## denote the tension force from below, ##|\boldsymbol T_2|=|\boldsymbol T_1|=T##. Thus the pulley expirences the force ##\boldsymbol T_1+\boldsymbol T_2##. This is just a sum of two vectors.

Orodruin said:
The string is tangent to the pulley ...

Could you please elaborate? I'm probably overlooking something very basic here but it's not obvious to me why the force from the rope is then given as ##2Tsin(\theta)##

zwierz said:
By ##\boldsymbol T_1## denote the tension force from above (in the first picture) and by ##\boldsymbol T_2## denote the tension force from below, ##|\boldsymbol T_2|=|\boldsymbol T_1|=T##. Thus the pulley expirences the force ##\boldsymbol T_1+\boldsymbol T_2##. This is just a sum of two vectors.

I'm not sure why the force happens to be ##2Tsin(\theta)## though.

The tension is tangential to the pulley (90 degrees ) thus the angle that vector T encloses with the vertical is θ : you can prove this by simple geometry ) the T cos( θ) component cancels out while the only force left is the sum of the two tension pointing inwards.The first image shows the small angle taken to be 2θ and therefore the angle is θ but the second one is considering an angle θ so it becomes θ/2.Both are showing a diffrent magnification on the string.However, if you integrate the force you get the same total force.(but with different limits in the integral ,(for the first one is from 0 to 90while the second one is 0 to 180,which you can prove ,is equivalent)

Last edited:
user240 said:
I'm not sure why the force happens to be 2Tsin(θ)2Tsin(\theta) though.
introduce a coordinate frame and expand the vectors in coordinates

user240 said:
it's not obvious to me why the force from the rope is then given as 2T sin(θ)
You asked two questions, the first re T sin(θ0), the second re T sin(Δθ/2).
Orodruin was answering tne first question. It's simple geometry. The radius makes angle θ0 to the horizontal. The radius is perpendicular to the tangent. So the tangent makes angle θ0 to the vertical.

In the second picture, the author considers a short arc of the circle subtending angle Δθ at the centre. She takes a radius in the middle of that and constructs the tangent at that point, as well as tangents at each end of the arc. Can you see that the tangents at the end each make angle Δθ/2 to the tangent in the middle?

What is the force of rope on a pulley?

The force of rope on a pulley refers to the amount of tension or pulling force exerted on the rope as it passes over the pulley. This force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and is equal to the weight of the object being lifted or moved by the pulley system.

How does the number of pulleys affect the force of rope?

The number of pulleys in a system can affect the force of rope in multiple ways. Generally, the more pulleys there are, the less force is needed to lift or move an object. This is because each additional pulley reduces the amount of weight that needs to be lifted by distributing it evenly across the ropes.

What is the relationship between the force of rope and the direction of pull?

The force of rope on a pulley is directly related to the direction of the pull. If the rope is pulled in a straight line, the force will be in the same direction. However, if the rope is pulled at an angle, the force will be divided into two components: one in the direction of the pull and one perpendicular to it.

How does friction affect the force of rope on a pulley?

Friction can have a significant impact on the force of rope on a pulley. Friction between the rope and the pulley can result in a loss of force, as some energy is expended to overcome the resistance. This is why it is important to use pulleys with low-friction bearings to reduce the impact of friction on the force of rope.

What are some real-world applications of the force of rope on a pulley?

The force of rope on a pulley is used in various applications, such as lifting heavy objects in construction and manufacturing, raising sails on ships, and operating elevators and cranes. It is also used in rock climbing and other sports that involve rope systems. Additionally, the concept of pulleys and forces is essential in understanding how machines and mechanical systems work.