Force on Pulley Shaft - What is the Shaft Load?

In summary, the force vector of a loaded pulley shaft can be difficult to understand. The pulley is driven by the shaft with a torque, and the tension in the belt is a result of Newton's 3rd law. However, there is confusion over the direction of the shaft load, with some sources stating it is in the opposite direction of the green force vector. This can be explained by considering all the forces acting on the shaft, including the tension from the belt and the bearing support. When calculating the shaft's deflection, it is important to use the correct direction of the force. There may also be differences in belt forces due to friction and elasticity.
vrc
hello,

I have some trouble understanding the force vector of a loaded pulley shaft:
the pulley is driven by the shaft with a torque T, the pulley on his turn is driving a belt.
because of Newton 3th law there's tension in the belt as shown,

ok, now the question: many books state that the green force is the shaft force => how can this be true:

the shaft load is de resultant force : adding those 2 red force vectores , so the shaft load must be a vector that is oriented toward right instead of that green force.

the green force is de reaction of the pulley support = reaction of the shaft

in shaft calculation they use the green force vector as shaft load...

do not understand it !
krachten.jpg

grtz

Engineering news on Phys.org
Put a diagram up of the problem and make some form of attempt at the solution, then I will take a look.

oké, a better explenation:

riem.jpg

we see a pulley with a shaft; it is driving a belt because the shaft has a torque, the power tis transmitted because of a difference in belt force , logic

now: suppose I want to calculate the diameter of the shaft, first I have to know the shaft load,
I say it's the green force vector, but official mechanical books say that the shaft laod is a vector that has an opposed direction, it's pointed tot the secand quadrant

how could the shaft load be a vector opposed to the green one in the picture ?

thank you

The shaft load is all the forces acting ON the shaft. So you have the tension from your belt that is pushing on your shaft but there is also the bearing support that is pushing on your shaft. In your particular case, it just happens - from basic statics calculations - that the belt tension and the bearing support reaction are equal and opposite.

for my example, an electromotor is driving the pulley, so where the shaft is connected to the pulley, it's a fixed connections

to in this case there's just the shaft reactions that is opposed to the the green force vector,
but for deflection calulation/shaft diameter, I must use the green force vector...

I can't see another explenation.

thank you

someone who wants to confirm my ideas...

thank you

The force ON the shaft is acting in the green-line direction. The force that the shaft is applying is in the opposite direction. To calculate the deflection of the shaft, yes, use the line you drew. The book likely put it in the opposite direction to maintain force-balance convention.

Though, I don't see how a belt can have two different tensions on it if it is a single belt...

I assume also that the book might mean that the oppsite force is the one give the belt e preload to there is enough friction with the pulley. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to transmit power.

In rotation mode there's a different tension in de belt, that''s rather logic, how would the power be transmitted otherwise...

thank you

grtz

I doubt that. If there is tension in the belt, there will be power transmission. If it was preload, they would tell you. It doesn't matter though. They tell you the tensions in the belt, so that is all you need.

difference in tension I mean: different forces in the belt,
if those forces would be equal, why would there be motion...
I have learned and understood that there only wille be motion if there's a difference in forces

grtz

Yea. That was a misunderstanding on my part. Its the initial acceleration that you are studying. And the resulting deflection.

what about initial acceleration ?
if the shaft is rotating at constant RPM, there also will be difference in belt forces...
If that isn't true I have a major problem in understanding physics !

grtz

If you are talking real world, yea, there will be because nothing is completely inelastic and nothing is frictionless.

Newton's laws: F=m*a Force is a direct correlate to acceleration. Zero acceleration means zero net force. If you have a force difference, you have an acceleration. Constant RPM means constant velocity, which means zero net force. I.e. The pulley should be pulling the feed side with the same force that it is pushing the other side.

Someone chime in if I am wrong, but I don't believe I am.

conclusion: constant RPM doens't excist and therefore will be a difference in belt force ?

grtz

Hold...

what do you mean with 'hold' ?

grtz

VTC - sorry, but please could you re-size your picture to 800 wide or smaller. It has forced the text on all the entries in the thread to the same width and it's forcing scrolling to read the replies.

At least on my Firefox and XP.

Thanks.

1. What is a pulley shaft and how does it work?

A pulley shaft is a rotating cylindrical rod that is used to transfer force and motion between two or more pulleys. It works by connecting the pulleys together and allowing for the transfer of force through the rotation of the shaft.

2. What is the purpose of a pulley shaft?

The purpose of a pulley shaft is to support and transfer force and motion between pulleys in a system. It helps to distribute the load evenly between the pulleys and allows for smooth and efficient movement.

3. How is the shaft load calculated?

The shaft load is calculated by taking into account the force acting on the pulley, the diameter of the pulley, and the speed of rotation. The formula for calculating shaft load is F = (m x a) + (m x v2 / r), where F is the force acting on the pulley, m is the mass of the load, a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the pulley.

4. What factors can affect the force on a pulley shaft?

The force on a pulley shaft can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and size of the load being lifted, the friction between the pulleys and the shaft, and the speed of rotation. Additionally, external forces and environmental conditions can also impact the force on the pulley shaft.

5. How can the force on a pulley shaft be reduced?

The force on a pulley shaft can be reduced by using multiple pulleys in a system, which distributes the load and reduces the force acting on each individual pulley. Additionally, using lubrication on the pulleys and shaft can also help to reduce friction and decrease the force required to rotate the pulley.