Force on three Bolts holding up a Jet Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on each bolt of a passenger jet's jet engine. The initial solution was that there would be a force of 0 Newtons on the bolt as it is not moving, but this was determined to be incorrect. The relevant equations for calculating the tension on each bolt were also mentioned.
mopit_011
Homework Statement
A 1400-kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
y=y0+v0t+(at^2/2)
My solution was that there would be a force of 0 Newtons on the bolt as the bolt is not moving. But this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mopit_011 said:
Homework Statement:: A 1400-kg jet engine is fastened to the fuselage of a passenger jet by just three bolts (this is the usual practice). Assume that each bolt supports one-third of the load. Calculate the force on each bolt as the plane waits in line for clearance to take off.
Relevant Equations:: F=ma
y=y0+v0t+(at^2/2)

My solution was that there would be a force of 0 Newtons on the bolt as the bolt is not moving. But this answer is wrong. Where am I going wrong?
I doubt they mean to ask for the net force, though I agree that is a strictly correct interpretation. Rather, they want the tension on each bolt.

haruspex said:
I doubt they mean to ask for the net force, though I agree that is a strictly correct interpretation. Rather, they want the tension on each bolt.
Ohhhh ok. Thank you so much!

1. What is the force on each bolt holding up a jet engine?

The force on each bolt holding up a jet engine can vary depending on the size and weight of the engine. However, on average, each bolt can experience a force of around 20,000 to 50,000 pounds.

2. How is the force distributed among the three bolts?

The force on the three bolts holding up a jet engine is distributed evenly among them. This means that each bolt will experience an equal amount of force, resulting in a total force that is three times the force on a single bolt.

3. What factors can affect the force on the bolts holding up a jet engine?

The force on the bolts holding up a jet engine can be affected by various factors such as the weight and size of the engine, the speed and direction of the aircraft, and the turbulence and air pressure during flight.

4. How is the force on the bolts calculated?

The force on the bolts holding up a jet engine can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the engine, and a is the acceleration. The acceleration can be determined by considering the speed and direction of the aircraft.

5. What happens if one of the bolts fails?

If one of the bolts holding up a jet engine fails, the remaining two bolts will have to bear the entire force of the engine. This can put a lot of stress on the bolts and can potentially lead to the failure of the other bolts as well. It is crucial for all bolts to be properly maintained and replaced when necessary to ensure the safe operation of the engine.