Force projection onto body's axis

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking assistance with a physics problem. They provide the problem and their attempted solution, but are having trouble with the answer not matching with an online tool. Another person points out a mistake in their solution, leading to a correction.
Bismuth
Hey PhysicsForums. Long time reader looking for some assistance

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3923/physicsg.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure the idea is to find the unit position vector to point A, and the force vector F.

I found the unit position vector to be u = (-4/6)i +(4/6)j + (2/6)k, and the force to be F = (560cos60sin30)i + (560cos60cos30)j + (560sin60)k

Dotting them together gives me 230 lb, but Mastering Engineering doesn't agree with me. Can anyone point out where I went awry?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The x-component of F should be negative. The rest looks fine to me.

Simple mistakes are embarassing :(

Thank you for your careful eyes!

Related to Force projection onto body's axis

1. What is force projection onto the body's axis?

Force projection onto the body's axis refers to the process of determining the amount and direction of force that is applied to an object along its axis. It is an important concept in biomechanics and is often used to analyze movement and performance in sports and other physical activities.

2. How is force projection onto the body's axis calculated?

The calculation of force projection onto the body's axis involves breaking down the applied force into its components, one parallel to the axis and one perpendicular to the axis. The parallel component is then used to determine the amount of force acting along the axis, while the perpendicular component is often used to analyze rotational forces.

3. What factors affect force projection onto the body's axis?

There are several factors that can affect force projection onto the body's axis, including the angle of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the magnitude of the force. Additionally, the position and alignment of the body's joints and muscles can also influence the direction and amount of the projected force.

4. Why is understanding force projection onto the body's axis important in sports and physical activities?

Understanding force projection onto the body's axis is important in sports and physical activities because it can help athletes and coaches identify areas for improvement in technique and performance. It can also aid in injury prevention by identifying potential sources of excessive force on the body's joints and muscles.

5. How can force projection onto the body's axis be improved?

Force projection onto the body's axis can be improved through proper training and technique. This may involve strengthening specific muscles, improving joint alignment and positioning, and practicing movements that require efficient force projection. Additionally, using equipment such as resistance bands or weights can also be beneficial in improving force projection.