Force required to drive the Trommel

In summary, if you are just interested in a ballpark figure for power needed, you could use the equation: power required = mass throughput per second * height lifted * number of times it's lifted
Slimshady
TL;DR Summary
I have to calculate force required to drive the trommel? I dont know how will i calculate the kinetic coefficient of friction of bearings? can someone please guide me?
I have to calculate force required to drive the trommel? I don't know how will i calculate the kinetic coefficient of friction of bearings? can some please guide me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello @Slimshady ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

You mention 'the trommel' as if everybody should know what you are talking about. We aren't all expert telepathics, so a bit more information might be helpful!

For comparison: A question like "how big an engine is needed to propel the ship" doesn't generate very useful answers either !

##\ ##

Likes sysprog and russ_watters
There are different designs for trommels, you definitely need to provide a sketch of your particular arrangement. For instance, there are trommels that just sit on tires or rollers, whilst others have a shaft running through the middle, with an electric motor in one end and several bearings along the shaft. They can be smaller than an oil drum and turned by hand, or as long as a couple of full sized containers. They also serve a multitude of applications, from mining to construction, or just trash segregation, which will affect the power required to drive the trommel.

You mentioned calculating a kinetic friction coefficient, but that is not something that is normally calculated, usually you either take a conservative number from a comprehensive tribology table, or you test your particular arrangement.

Slimshady said:
Summary:: I have to calculate force required to drive the trommel? I don't know how will i calculate the kinetic coefficient of friction of bearings? can someone please guide me?

I have to calculate force required to drive the trommel?
It depends on how accurate you want your answer to be. I suspect you might just be interested in a simple model in which you lift the load of 'stuff' by, say, the radius of the cylinder a number of times (assuming it's a dry / loose mix). I would think that bearing losses would be relatively insignificant.

So the power needed could be found from mass throughput per second times height lifted times number of times it's lifted. A first approximation would be to ignore the kinetic energy given to the stuff as it rotates around the axis.

I reckon that would give a good ball park figure for the motor power needed. Add at least 100% for work done on churning the material inside - such as liquid concrete- which would need work to be done on just stirring it up.

In the case of churning concrete, the engine power of a delivery truck motor could be known and also the mass of the mix and the rotation rate so you could check on how good my simple calculation is.

If a significant amount of stuff is separated from the main load on the way through (as in a seiving application) then that would be an added complication.

What is the force required to drive the Trommel?

The force required to drive the Trommel depends on several factors such as the size and weight of the Trommel, the type of material being processed, and the desired speed of rotation. Generally, a larger and heavier Trommel will require more force to drive it compared to a smaller and lighter one.

How is the force required to drive the Trommel calculated?

The force required to drive the Trommel can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the Trommel in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. The acceleration can be determined by dividing the desired speed of rotation by the time it takes to reach that speed.

What are the different types of forces that can drive the Trommel?

The most common types of forces used to drive the Trommel are mechanical forces such as electric motors, hydraulic or pneumatic systems, and gearboxes. These forces can be adjusted to provide the necessary power and speed for the Trommel to function efficiently.

How does the force required to drive the Trommel affect its performance?

The force required to drive the Trommel directly affects its performance in terms of speed and efficiency. If the force is too low, the Trommel may not rotate at the desired speed and may not be able to process materials effectively. On the other hand, if the force is too high, it may cause excessive wear and tear on the Trommel and its components.

Can the force required to drive the Trommel be adjusted?

Yes, the force required to drive the Trommel can be adjusted by changing the power source or by using different gear ratios. It is important to carefully consider the material being processed and the desired speed of rotation when determining the appropriate force for the Trommel.