Force to make 2 blocks move relative to each other at constant speed

In summary: I apologize for not responding earlier, as I am a computer program and do not have the capability to reply to questions or comments. My function is solely to provide a summary of the conversation. Thank you for understanding. In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the value of P so that two blocks, one smaller with mass 1 kg and one larger with mass 2 kg, move relative to each other at a constant speed. The conversation includes the relevant equations and a free body diagram for each block, as well as the equations of motion for both blocks. The final answer obtained is 12.something Newton, which may vary depending on the value used for g.
songoku
Homework Statement
(see picture)

Smaller block has mass 1 kg and larger block has mass 2 kg. Coefficient of friction between the two blocks is 0.2 and between larger block and floor is 0.3. Find the value of P so that the two blocks move relative to each other at constant sped
Relevant Equations
Newton's 2nd law of motion
Untitled.png

Let:
Smaller block = m1 = 1 kg
Large block = m2 = 2 kg
Coefficient of friction between the two blocks = μ1 = 0.2
Coefficient of friction between larger block and floor = μ2 = 0.3
Tension connecting two blocks through two pulleys = T
Angle between tension and horizontal = θ = 37o
Friction between two blocks = f1
Friction between larger block and floor = f2
Normal force acting on m1 = N1
Normal force acting on m2 = N2
Weight of m1 = W1
Weight of m2 = W2

Free body diagram of m1:
T cos θ to the left
T sin θ upwards
W1 downwards
N1 upwards
f1 to the right

Equation of motion for m1:
T sin θ + N1 = W1
N1 = W1 - T sin θ ...(i)

f1 = μ1 . N1 = μ1 (W1 - T sin θ) ... (ii)

T cos θ = f1
T cos θ = μ1 (W1 - T sin θ)
T cos θ = μ1 . W1 - μ1 . T sin θ
T cos θ + μ1 . T sin θ = μ1 . W1
T = (μ1 . W1) / (cos θ + μ1 . sin θ) ... (iii)Free body diagram of m1:
f1 to the left
f2 to the left
P to the right
W2 downwards
N1 downwards
N2 upwards
T to the left

Equation of motion for m2:
$$P = f_1 + f_2 + T
\\= \mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . T \sin \theta + \mu_2 . (W_2 + N_1) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
\\= \mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . \sin \theta . \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} + \mu_2 . \left( W_2 + W_1 - T \sin \theta \right) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
\\=\mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . \sin \theta . \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} + \mu_2 . \left( W_2 + W_1 - \frac{\mu_1 . W_1. \sin \theta}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} \right) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
$$

Is this correct? When I plug the value I got 12 something Newton and the answer key is 15 NThanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: (see picture)

Smaller block has mass 1 kg and larger block has mass 2 kg. Coefficient of friction between the two blocks is 0.2 and between larger block and floor is 0.3. Find the value of P so that the two blocks move relative to each other at constant sped
Relevant Equations:: Newton's 2nd law of motion

View attachment 263108
Let:
Smaller block = m1 = 1 kg
Large block = m2 = 2 kg
Coefficient of friction between the two blocks = μ1 = 0.2
Coefficient of friction between larger block and floor = μ2 = 0.3
Tension connecting two blocks through two pulleys = T
Angle between tension and horizontal = θ = 37o
Friction between two blocks = f1
Friction between larger block and floor = f2
Normal force acting on m1 = N1
Normal force acting on m2 = N2
Weight of m1 = W1
Weight of m2 = W2

Free body diagram of m1:
T cos θ to the left
T sin θ upwards
W1 downwards
N1 upwards
f1 to the right

Equation of motion for m1:
T sin θ + N1 = W1
N1 = W1 - T sin θ ...(i)

f1 = μ1 . N1 = μ1 (W1 - T sin θ) ... (ii)

T cos θ = f1
T cos θ = μ1 (W1 - T sin θ)
T cos θ = μ1 . W1 - μ1 . T sin θ
T cos θ + μ1 . T sin θ = μ1 . W1
T = (μ1 . W1) / (cos θ + μ1 . sin θ) ... (iii)Free body diagram of m1:
f1 to the left
f2 to the left
P to the right
W2 downwards
N1 downwards
N2 upwards
T to the left

Equation of motion for m2:
$$P = f_1 + f_2 + T
\\= \mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . T \sin \theta + \mu_2 . (W_2 + N_1) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
\\= \mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . \sin \theta . \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} + \mu_2 . \left( W_2 + W_1 - T \sin \theta \right) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
\\=\mu_1 . W_1 - \mu_1 . \sin \theta . \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} + \mu_2 . \left( W_2 + W_1 - \frac{\mu_1 . W_1. \sin \theta}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta} \right) + \frac{\mu_1 . W_1}{\cos \theta + \mu_1 . \sin \theta}
$$

Is this correct? When I plug the value I got 12 something Newton and the answer key is 15 NThanks
Your working looks correct, and produces the right answer for theta=0, and also for W1=0.
I agree with your 12.something, depending on the value you use for g.

Likes Lnewqban, songoku and BvU
Thank you very much haruspex

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

How does friction affect the force required to make 2 blocks move at constant speed?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it will require additional force to overcome friction and maintain a constant speed between two blocks. The amount of force needed will depend on the type of surface and the weight of the blocks.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object already in motion. In other words, static friction is greater than kinetic friction.

Can the force required to make 2 blocks move at constant speed change?

Yes, the force required can change depending on the external factors such as the surface, weight of the blocks, and the presence of other forces like air resistance. In order to maintain a constant speed, the force must be adjusted accordingly to overcome these factors.