Force transition through spring

In summary, if you have a mass on top of a spring, the spring will be compressed and the scale will show the weight of the mass. If you have a mass on the bottom of a spring, the spring will be compressed and the scale will show the weight of the mass.
Janez
We put object on weight ang get a mass. What would that mass be if we put a spring between object and weigt, so that the spring woul shrink to half its original size?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janez said:
We put object on weight ang get a mass.
Can you rephrase this? It's not clear what you are describing.
Janez said:
What would that mass be if we put a spring between object and weigt, so that the spring woul shrink to half its original size?
Again, your scenario is unclear. Are you placing a mass on a spring, so that the spring is compressed? The amount of compression depends on the stiffness of the spring (its spring constant) and the weight of the mass.

Thanx for answer.
Yes, the spreing compresess. For example we have a 1 kg object with no spring. How would we calculate the force when the spring is betwen object and weight?

Janez said:
How would we calculate the force when the spring is betwen object and weight?
You have something you call the "object" and something else you call the "weight". It's unclear what you are describing or what force you are asking about.

Can you give a simple diagram of what you are asking?

Likes Janez
Janez said:
What would that mass be if we put a spring between object and weigt,
Maybe you're asking this question: "Do I measure the same weight with a scale when there is a mass and a spring sitting next to each other on the scale, versus if I put the mass on top of the spring on the scale?"

Is that what you mean? I agree that a sketch would be helpful.

Diagram.jpg

Likes PeroK
How much does the spring weigh?

Nothing, for the purpuse of this question.

Janez said:
Nothing, for the purpuse of this question.
Then the scale will measure the same weight in both cases. And in my example above, if the spring is also sitting next to the mass in your first drawing, then the scale will measure the combined weight of the spring and mass in both cases, regardless of whether the spring us under the mass or just sitting beside it on the scale.

Does that make sense?

Likes Lnewqban and Janez
So the spring transfer the whole force like solid object would? It does make sense, altought I found it somewhat unitnuiteve and I just wasnt sure.

Janez said:
So the spring transfer the whole force like solid object would?
Sure. Assuming equilibrium -- that the object isn't falling.

In fact, you can think of a solid object as if it were a spring -- place something on top of it and it will be compressed (perhaps only slightly), just like a spring.

Janez said:
So the spring transfer the whole force like solid object would? It does make sense, altought I found it somewhat unitnuiteve and I just wasnt sure.
As the spring is not accelerating, the external forces on it must be balanced (Newton's second law). Therefore, the downward force of the mass on the spring (weight of mass) must be equal to the upward force the scale exerts on the spring. So, the scale shows the weight of the mass.

Ok, thanx for help.

Janez said:
Or, imagine you were lying on the ground with a large spring on your chest. Would you allow an elephant to be lowered onto the spring? That might decide the issue!

Janez said:
So the spring transfer the whole force like solid object would?
Yes, and there are no prefectly rigid objects, they are all "springs".

If the spring is assumed mass-less, then the net force on it must always be zero. So the force on the bottom must be equal but opposite to the force on top.

1. What is force transition through spring?

Force transition through spring is the process by which a force is applied to a spring, causing it to compress or stretch and store potential energy. This potential energy is then released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

2. How does a spring store potential energy?

A spring stores potential energy by deforming or changing its shape when a force is applied to it. This deformation creates a restoring force, which is the force that causes the spring to return to its original shape. The potential energy is stored in the spring's material as elastic potential energy.

3. What factors affect the force transition through spring?

The force transition through spring is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the force applied, the stiffness of the spring, and the distance the spring is compressed or stretched. Additionally, the material and size of the spring can also impact the force transition.

4. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to force transition through spring?

Hooke's law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of deformation or change in length of the spring. This means that as the force increases, the deformation of the spring also increases. This law is important in understanding the behavior of springs and their force transition.

5. What are some real-life applications of force transition through spring?

Force transition through spring has many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, door hinges, and balance scales. Springs are also used in many mechanical devices, such as watches, to store and release energy. They are also commonly used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and pogo sticks.