Forces acting on a gyroscope base when trying to turn it

In summary, the gyroscopic effect of a spinning wheel creates an extra effort that must be overcome in order to turn the fork support in a car's steering system. This torque is proportional to the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the wheel.
refusenik
I am studying the influence of a gyroscopic effect of wheels/tyres on a steering system in a car. I can't seem to get my head around few concepts. It boils down to a simple problem.

Consider a free spinning gyroscope wheel with horizontally aligned axis.
This axis is mounted in a vertical fork style support that itself can rotate in a vertical fixed support. That's it.

If you imagine a bicycle with front wheel suspended above ground that's about right. The bicycle frame is attached to e.g. a wall but handlebar is free to rotate.

Now is the problem. Suppose the wheel has moment of inertia I around its horizontal axis and spins with angular velocity w. What I want to know is what extra effort would be required to turn the fork support around vertical axis with e.g. angular speed y.

I know that in this case the spinning wheel creates a moment acting on a fork support

M = I * w * y

but it is acting around horizontal axis (at right angle to the spin axis) and therefore is fully counteracted by reaction of vertical support (ball bearings.)

Will there be any extra effort required at all (compared to turning the same system with non-spinning wheel?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there will be an extra effort required due to the gyroscopic effect of the wheel. This is because the angular momentum of the spinning wheel creates a torque on the fork support which must be overcome in order to turn the fork support. This torque is calculated as:Torque = I * w * yWhere I is the moment of inertia of the wheel, w is the angular velocity of the wheel, and y is the angular speed of the fork support. Therefore, the extra effort required to turn the fork support is proportional to the angular velocity of the wheel.

What is a gyroscope and how does it work?

A gyroscope is a mechanical device that consists of a spinning wheel or disc, mounted on a base, that is used to maintain or measure orientation and angular velocity. It works based on the principles of angular momentum and inertia, where the spinning motion of the wheel resists any changes in its orientation.

What forces act on a gyroscope base when trying to turn it?

When trying to turn a gyroscope base, several forces act on it. These include the force of gravity, the force of friction, and the gyroscopic effect. The gyroscopic effect is the most significant force, as it resists any changes in the rotation of the gyroscope.

How does the gyroscopic effect help a gyroscope maintain its orientation?

The gyroscopic effect is a result of the spinning motion of the gyroscope's wheel. This creates a force that is perpendicular to the direction of the rotation, known as the gyroscopic precession. This force helps the gyroscope maintain its orientation by resisting any external forces that try to change its direction of rotation.

What factors can affect the stability of a gyroscope?

Several factors can affect the stability of a gyroscope, including the speed and direction of rotation, the shape and mass distribution of the wheel, and the rigidity of the axis on which it rotates. Any changes in these factors can affect the gyroscopic effect and the ability of the gyroscope to maintain its orientation.

How is a gyroscope used in various applications?

Gyroscopes have a wide range of applications in various fields, including navigation, aerospace engineering, robotics, and consumer electronics. They are used to measure and maintain orientation, stabilize vehicles and machines, and provide motion control in devices like smartphones and video game controllers.