Forces acting on a spool of mass M

In summary: And I agree that, as always, there is no need to worry about the sign of the angular acceleration since it only appears as the square of its magnitude. (We might have needed the sign if we were differentiating it.)In summary, the ratio of forces ##F_1/F_2## for a spool of mass ##M##, moment of inertia ##I##, and radius ##R## rolling without slipping on a surface can be found by setting the net torque and net force equations equal to each other and solving for ##x = F_1/F_2##, resulting in the equation $$x = \frac{F_1}{F_2} = \frac{MR^2 + 2I
issacnewton

Homework Statement

Two forces ##F_1## and ##F_2## are applied on a spool of mass ##M##, moment of inertia, ##I##, and radius ##R## as shown in the figure. If the spool is rolling on the surface, find the ratio of forces, ##F_1/F_2## such that friction between spool and the surface is zero.

Homework Equations

##\tau = I\alpha## , ##\sum F = ma##

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that the acceleration ##a## is toward right. So Newton's second law tells us that $$F_1 + F_2 = Ma$$ And the net torque on the spool is $$\tau = F_2 \left(\frac{R}{2}\right) - F_1 R = I \alpha $$
The condition for rolling without slipping tells us that ## a = \alpha R##. So plugging this in above equations we get, $$ \frac{F_2}{2} - F_1 = \frac{Ia}{R^2} $$ Now let ##x = F_1/F_2##, So above equations become $$ xF_2 + F_2 = Ma$$ and $$ \frac{F_2}{2} - xF_2 = \frac{Ia}{R^2} $$ Solving for ##x##, we get
$$x = \frac{F_1}{F_2} = \frac{MR^2 - 2I}{2(MR^2 + I)} $$ Does my solution seem right ?

Thanks
##\ddot\smile##
1.PNG

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
$$ \frac{F_2}{2} - F_1 = \frac{Ia}{R^2} $$
Where did the R2 come from? Just R, no?

Edit: Sorry - misread an a as an alpha.

Also, not sure you have been consistent with signs on the accelerations. Which way are you taking as positive for the angular acceleration?

Last edited:
Since ##a = \alpha R##, ## \alpha = a/R ## and plugging this into the second equation will get us ##R^2## in the denominator on the right side. Since I assume the spool is accelerating towards right, this is clockwise rotation for the spool, so the angular acceleration will be going inside the page by right hand rule. And linear acceleration of the center of mass of the spool, ##a##, is towards right.

IssacNewton said:
Since ##a = \alpha R##, ## \alpha = a/R ## and plugging this into the second equation will get us ##R^2## in the denominator on the right side. Since I assume the spool is accelerating towards right, this is clockwise rotation for the spool, so the angular acceleration will be going inside the page by right hand rule. And linear acceleration of the center of mass of the spool, ##a##, is towards right.
see my edit re R2.

For the sign, I am still not sure which rotation you define as positive, clockwise or anticlockwise. Your a=αR implies clockwise, but your torque equation, ½RF2-RF1=Iα, implies anticlockwise.

Yes, you are right. In physics, we take counter clockwise rotations as positive. So since rotation is clockwise here, the magnitude of torque would be ##RF_1 - RF_2/2## and angular acceleration is in the same direction as the net torque, ##\tau##. If ##\alpha## is the magnitude of the angular acceleration, then we would have $$ RF_1 - RF_2/2 = I\alpha = \frac{Ia}{R}$$ So if I work it out again, I get
$$x = \frac{F_1}{F_2} = \frac{MR^2 + 2I}{2(MR^2 - I)} $$

Does it look Okay ?

IssacNewton said:
Yes, you are right. In physics, we take counter clockwise rotations as positive. So since rotation is clockwise here, the magnitude of torque would be ##RF_1 - RF_2/2## and angular acceleration is in the same direction as the net torque, ##\tau##. If ##\alpha## is the magnitude of the angular acceleration, then we would have $$ RF_1 - RF_2/2 = I\alpha = \frac{Ia}{R}$$ So if I work it out again, I get
$$x = \frac{F_1}{F_2} = \frac{MR^2 + 2I}{2(MR^2 - I)} $$

Does it look Okay ?
Yes, that looks right.

1. What is the definition of "forces acting on a spool of mass M"?

Forces acting on a spool of mass M refer to the external forces that are exerted on a spool with a certain mass. These forces can include tension, gravity, friction, and any other force that affects the motion of the spool.

2. How do you calculate the net force on a spool of mass M?

The net force on a spool of mass M can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the spool. This can be done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force is taken into account.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of a spool and the forces acting on it?

The mass of a spool affects the forces acting on it in two ways. First, the mass of the spool will determine the amount of inertia it has, which will affect its motion when forces are applied. Second, the mass of the spool will also determine the magnitude of the forces needed to accelerate or decelerate it.

4. How does the angle of the spool affect the forces acting on it?

The angle of a spool can affect the forces acting on it in different ways. The angle can change the direction of the forces, which can affect the motion of the spool. It can also change the magnitude of the forces, depending on the type of force and its relationship to the angle.

5. How do the forces acting on a spool of mass M change over time?

The forces acting on a spool of mass M can change over time as external forces are applied or as the spool's motion changes. For example, if the spool is rolling down a ramp, the force of gravity will change as the spool's position changes. Additionally, if the spool is being pulled by a string, the tension force will change as the string is pulled tighter or looser.