Forces acting on a Walking Beam (oil rig pump) from a pivot pin

In summary, the discussion revolved around determining the forces acting on the walking beam at E in a structural analysis problem. It was established that the pin at E does not move and therefore cannot do work. The two beams mentioned in the question are actually just one beam, DEF, and it was clarified that forces applied at E cannot exert a torque about E. For completeness, forces at E can be drawn but they do not need to be considered in the torque balance equation. It was also mentioned that the two members connected to E are not actually exerting forces on DEF directly.
link223
Homework Statement
So I just want to see which forc acts on the walking beam at E but itsn't quite obvious to me from the figure.
Relevant Equations
Structural Analysis
So.. question:
- How do I know that only the pin is at work at E and not those 2 beams? my guess: It is because those 2 beams are connected to the pin whilst the pin is the one that exerts a force on that walking beam DEF?

1651004807555.png

Physics news on Phys.org
link223 said:
Homework Statement:: So I just want to see which forc acts on the walking beam at E but itsn't quite obvious to me from the figure.
Relevant Equations:: Structural Analysis

How do I know that only the pin is at work at E and not those 2 beams?
I have no idea what your question means.
What do you mean by pin E being "at work"? Do you mean it is doing work? It does not move, so it can't do work.
What two beams? DEF is a single beam.

The motor exerts a torque at A on beam AB. In addition, the counterweight exerts a force at B. These result in a force at D, which in turn exerts a torque about E on beam DEF, etc. You do not need to consider forces at E.

Likes link223
haruspex said:
I have no idea what your question means.
What do you mean by pin E being "at work"? Do you mean it is doing work? It does not move, so it can't do work.
What two beams? DEF is a single beam.

The motor exerts a torque at A on beam AB. In addition, the counterweight exerts a force at B. These result in a force at D, which in turn exerts a torque about E on beam DEF, etc. You do not need to consider forces at E.
Thank you for your answer!
That is indeed what I did (just solved the exercise with this exact method) but on the FBD, there will be a horizontal and vertical force exerted on the beam DEF at E because of that pin.
What i was confused with was whether it is the actual force components from the pin that needs to be drawn or also the forces that replace those two member that connect to E (the ones for stability) which is appearantly not the case.

link223 said:
Thank you for your answer!
That is indeed what I did (just solved the exercise with this exact method) but on the FBD, there will be a horizontal and vertical force exerted on the beam DEF at E because of that pin.
What i was confused with was whether it is the actual force components from the pin that needs to be drawn or also the forces that replace those two member that connect to E (the ones for stability) which is appearantly not the case.
You can draw forces at E for completeness, but forces applied at E cannot exert a torque about E. So as long as you use the torque balance about E for your equation you can ignore those forces.

Likes link223
If you are drawing the FBD of beam DEF, pin E should have represented two reactive forces that oppose the two external forces (at D and at F) at that exact frozen instant represented in the picture.

Likes link223
haruspex said:
You can draw forces at E for completeness, but forces applied at E cannot exert a torque about E. So as long as you use the torque balance about E for your equation you can ignore those forces.
Yes that is indeed what I did (it was for completeness :) ) thank you

Lnewqban said:
If you are drawing the FBD of beam DEF, pin E should have represented two reactive forces that oppose the two external forces (at D and at F) at that exact frozen instant represented in the picture.
Thank you that is indeed what I did, I was just confused whether those two member that are connected to E are actually connected to E (the pin) or actually exert some force on DEF directly which is not the case.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of a walking beam on an oil rig pump?

The walking beam on an oil rig pump is a mechanical component designed to convert the rotary motion of the pump's motor into the reciprocating motion needed to pump oil from the ground. It acts as a lever, transferring the force from the motor to the pump's rod.

2. How does the pivot pin affect the forces acting on the walking beam?

The pivot pin serves as the fulcrum or pivot point for the walking beam. This means that all the forces acting on the walking beam are exerted around this point, creating a rotational motion. The size and placement of the pivot pin can greatly affect the efficiency and stability of the walking beam.

3. What are the main forces acting on a walking beam from a pivot pin?

The main forces acting on a walking beam from a pivot pin are the downward force from the weight of the pump's rod and the upward force from the motor. These forces create a torque or rotational force on the walking beam, causing it to move in a reciprocating motion.

4. How does the weight of the pump's rod affect the forces on the walking beam?

The weight of the pump's rod can greatly affect the forces acting on the walking beam. A heavier rod will create a larger downward force, which in turn will require a larger upward force from the motor to maintain balance and efficiency. This can also put more stress on the pivot pin and other components of the walking beam.

5. What are some factors that can affect the stability of the walking beam and pivot pin?

Some factors that can affect the stability of the walking beam and pivot pin include the size and placement of the pivot pin, the weight and length of the pump's rod, and the strength and design of the walking beam. Environmental factors such as wind and uneven terrain can also affect the stability of the walking beam and pivot pin.