Forces and moments -- Pushing wheeled luggage through the airport

In summary, the man exerts a horizontal force to balance the moment of the weight and then changes the force to push it with his foot at the height of its mass center.
shk
Homework Statement
This isn't my homework. I'm helping someone else with her homework. But I am not sure about part d.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Hi
I need help with part d.
I think for part q(i) the force is horizontally and constant and equal to what I have found in part c. and for part d(ii) the force is upwards and equal to what I have found in part b.
IMG-20201019-WA0015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answering a known question can be difficult, but if the question is unknown, it's impossible!

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, etotheipi and LCSphysicist
vanhees71 said:
Answering a known question can be difficult, but if the question is unknown, it's impossible!
😄😄😄😄😄😄 you are absolutely right. I have now attached the question. I thought I had done it.

How do you have the man avoiding tilting the bag in your answer to c)?

haruspex said:
How do you have the man avoiding tilting the bag in your answer to c)?
He exerts a horizontal force to balance the moment of the weight. I know how to do that part by making the clockwise moment equal to anti clockwise moment.

shk said:
He exerts a horizontal force to balance the moment of the weight. I know how to do that part by making the clockwise moment equal to anti clockwise moment.
No, he was already balancing the moment of the weight by an upward force. How does he need to add a horizontal impulse to get the bag moving horizontally without making it tilt?
You are told to show the point of application. Where have you put that?
The answer is quite specific, and requires a little lateral thinking.

haruspex said:
No, he was already balancing the moment of the weight by an upward force. How does he need to add a horizontal impulse to get the bag moving horizontally without making it tilt?
You are told to show the point of application. Where have you put that?
The answer is quite specific, and requires a little lateral thinking.
Hi
Sorry I accidentally said horizontally.
I have now answered the question and have attached it for you to see. Please let me know if I've made a mistake .
Thanks

Attachments

• 20201021_091620.jpg
    20201021_091620.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
shk said:
Hi
Sorry I accidentally said horizontally.
I have now answered the question and have attached it for you to see. Please let me know if I've made a mistake .
Thanks
Well, maybe I am misreading the question.
It gives the impression that the force applied to get the case in motion is in addition to the upward force, if so, the answer would be that he pushes it with his foot at the height of its mass centre, something I have done myself.
Now I notice that it asks for the magnitude, which suggests that your interpretation is correct, but if so it should say he momentarily exerts a horizontal force instead, .. and why bother to ask where it is applied?
So I'm left uncertain as to which answer is expected.

For d) the foot is not an option, so it will be a change in force on the handle. It could be any combination of a horizontal pull and a vertical force that balances the torque of the case's weight.

haruspex said:
Well, maybe I am misreading the question.
It gives the impression that the force applied to get the case in motion is in addition to the upward force, if so, the answer would be that he pushes it with his foot at the height of its mass centre, something I have done myself.
Now I notice that it asks for the magnitude, which suggests that your interpretation is correct, but if so it should say he momentarily exerts a horizontal force instead, .. and why bother to ask where it is applied?
So I'm left uncertain as to which answer is expected.

For d) the foot is not an option, so it will be a change in force on the handle. It could be any combination of a horizontal pull and a vertical force that balances the torque of the case's weight.
I totally agree with you in terms of the missing word "instead ". This is where all my problem's coming from .
So is my answer correct if we assume that the horizontal force has been applied instead of the vertical force?

shk said:
I totally agree with you in terms of the missing word "instead ". This is where all my problem's coming from .
So is my answer correct if we assume that the horizontal force has been applied instead of the vertical force?
Yes.

Likes shk
haruspex said:
Yes.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the time you took to help me .

1. What is a force and how does it affect pushing wheeled luggage through the airport?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to change its motion or shape. When pushing wheeled luggage through the airport, the force applied to the luggage determines its speed and direction of motion. The greater the force, the faster the luggage will move.

2. How does the weight of the luggage affect the force needed to push it?

The weight of the luggage plays a significant role in the force needed to push it. The heavier the luggage, the more force is required to overcome its inertia and move it. This is why it is important to pack light when traveling with wheeled luggage.

3. Why is it easier to push wheeled luggage on smooth surfaces compared to rough surfaces?

Smooth surfaces provide less resistance to the wheels of the luggage, making it easier to push. On the other hand, rough surfaces create more friction, requiring more force to move the luggage. This is why wheeled luggage is designed with smooth, durable wheels for easy maneuvering on various surfaces.

4. How do moments or torque affect pushing wheeled luggage?

Moments or torque refer to the turning effect of a force. When pushing wheeled luggage, the moment created by the force applied to the handle can cause the luggage to turn or rotate. This can be controlled by applying the force at different points on the handle or by adjusting the angle of the handle.

5. Are there any other factors besides force and moments that affect pushing wheeled luggage through the airport?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect pushing wheeled luggage through the airport. These include the size and shape of the luggage, the quality of the wheels and handle, and the condition of the surface. It is important to consider all of these factors when selecting and using wheeled luggage for travel.