Forces and Newtons law of motion help a.s.a.p

In summary, an apple was blown from a tree by a gust of wind. As it falls, gravity exerts a force of 9.36 N downward and the wind exerts a force of 1.99 N to the right. The question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the net external force on the apple. To solve this problem, we need to find the vector sum of the forces acting on the apple. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude (R) and the inverse tangent function to find the direction (θ) of the net external force.
n9900229
A gust of wind blows an apple from a tree.
As the apple falls, the force of gravity on the
apple is 9.36 N downward, and the force of
the wind on the apple is 1.99 N to the right.

///////What is the magnitude of the net external
force on the apple?
Answer in units of N.

///////What is the direction of the net external force
on the apple (measured from the downward
vertical, so that the angle to the right of
downward is positive)?
Answer in units of ◦.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the future, don't delete the homework template that you got when you posted this question.

Can you show us your attempt at a solution, including all relevant equations?

Hi n9900229, welcome to PF.
Please go through the rules of PF.
You have posted only the question and asking us to solve it for you.
You have to your attempt. At least the relevant equations you can use in the problem. You must know on what topic the problem is based.

ohh my bad, uhh i didnt know that i will keep that in mind for future posts for questions.

Thats the given basically and the question are the ///// format sorry, kinda in a bum rush right now.

Well my attempt is on paper i drew it out how it would look, but like on a graph. for like magnitude of the net external force, do i find the R or hypotenuse of the triangle that forms with this problem?

Related to Forces and Newtons law of motion help a.s.a.p

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can change the motion of an object. It can be measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction. They can also change the speed or shape of an object's motion.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and is constant, while weight is measured in Newtons (N) and can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

5. How do you calculate force?

Force can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).