Forces applied to a leaning levitating bicycle

In summary: Magnets have also been placed alongside the wheels to provide side to side stability. Black is the frame, red are the magnets on the wheel and yellow are the magnets attached to the frame to stabilize side to side movement from the wheel. The frame is held in place purely by magnetic forces, so it can move if enough force is applied to it.My question is how much force would affect the axle magnet and side-to-side magnets when the bike is turning and thus leaning at 45 degrees? Let's assume that the person riding the bike is weighing 50 kg.
Qwerty42
Hi!

So I'm building an electromagnetic bicycle where the frame is levitating over the wheels, thus reducing the rolling friction to almost zero by removing the bearings. Magnets have also been placed alongside the wheels to provide side to side stability. Black is the frame, red are the magnets on the wheel and yellow are the magnets attached to the frame to stabilize side to side movement from the wheel. Se the attached image. Since the wheel is held in place purely by magnetic forces, it can move if enough force is applied to it.

My question is: How much force would affect the axle magnet and side-to-side magnets when the bike is turning and thus leaning at let's say 45 degrees? Let's assume that the person riding the bike is weighing 50 kg.
linetrack.500.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think bikes lean over so that the net torque on the bike due to the combination of centripetal force and gravity is zero. I think this means the net force on the bike and rider will be directed through the contact point on the ground. So the side to side force is notionally zero.

The load on the axle magnets is the vector sum of the centripetal force and the force due to gravity.

Cyclist.png

Using Pythagoras that gives

N =√{(mv2/r)2 + (mg)2}

where
m is the mass of the rider and bike
v = velocity
r = radius of the turn
g = acceleration due to gravity

Can someone check I have this right as it's been a long day.

Obviously the side to side load won't always be zero in reality but in that simplistic model it is. In the real world there is acceleration as the bike leans over not to mention bumps etc etc.

Qwerty42 said:
I'm building an electromagnetic bicycle where the frame is levitating over the wheels, thus reducing the rolling friction to almost zero by removing the bearings.
Rolling resistance comes mostly from the deformation of the tires, not from friction at the hub bearings. But most loses come from air resistance anyway.

Likes jbriggs444 and CWatters

1. What is the concept of a leaning levitating bicycle?

A leaning levitating bicycle is a type of bicycle that uses a combination of forces, such as magnetic and centrifugal forces, to stay upright and balanced while in motion. It is designed to lean and turn like a regular bicycle, but without the need for wheels touching the ground.

2. How does a leaning levitating bicycle stay in the air?

A leaning levitating bicycle uses a strong magnetic field created by powerful electromagnets to repel against the ground. This creates a force that lifts the bicycle and keeps it hovering above the ground. The bicycle also uses gyroscopic forces, generated by the spinning wheels, to maintain its balance and stability.

3. What are the advantages of a leaning levitating bicycle?

One of the main advantages of a leaning levitating bicycle is its ability to travel smoothly over uneven surfaces, such as bumps or potholes, without the rider feeling the impact. It also eliminates the need for pedaling and reduces friction, leading to a more efficient and faster ride. Additionally, it can potentially reduce the risk of accidents caused by skidding or losing control on wet or slippery surfaces.

4. How does the rider control the direction of a leaning levitating bicycle?

The rider controls the direction of a leaning levitating bicycle by shifting their weight and leaning in the direction they want to go. This movement is detected by sensors on the bicycle, which then adjust the magnetic fields and gyroscopic forces to turn the bicycle in the desired direction.

5. Is a leaning levitating bicycle a feasible mode of transportation?

While the concept of a leaning levitating bicycle is intriguing and has been tested in prototypes, it is not currently a feasible mode of transportation for everyday use. The technology and materials needed to create a stable and reliable hovering bicycle are still in the early stages of development. However, as technology advances, it is possible that we may see a commercial version of a leaning levitating bicycle in the future.