Forces applied to occupants in car crash (important for assignment )

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing the forces applied on the occupants in a car crash, specifically in a scenario where one car has a crumple zone and the other does not. The cars were both traveling at 60km/h and stopped in different times, leading to a discussion about the forces involved and the use of equations such as impulse and momentum and the equations of motion. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding uniform deceleration and converting to force if the mass is known.
187 god
Forces applied to occupants in car crash (important for assignment!)

Ok so I'm in grade 10 at school and for my physics assignment I'm comparing the forces applied on the vehicle (or occupants) in a collision, where one car has a crumple zone and the other one doesn't. If they were both traveling at 60km/h and ran into a wall, and one stopped in 0.1 seconds and the other stopped in 0.04 seconds, what are the forces in each crash? I tried using formula like F=gm and stuff but it doesn't seem to suit my equation, as I'm expecting there to be more force applied on the vehicle with a stopping distance of 0.04 seconds, because I'm giving a real life example of how crumple zones are safer than a car with no crumple zone. Sorry if this was hard to understand because it was badly worded but I've been working on this assignment for hours and I'm tired. The assignment is due in 3 days so quick replies will be much appreciated. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org

187 god said:
Ok so I'm in grade 10 at school and for my physics assignment I'm comparing the forces applied on the vehicle (or occupants) in a collision, where one car has a crumple zone and the other one doesn't. If they were both traveling at 60km/h and ran into a wall, and one stopped in 0.1 seconds and the other stopped in 0.04 seconds, what are the forces in each crash? I tried using formula like F=gm and stuff but it doesn't seem to suit my equation, as I'm expecting there to be more force applied on the vehicle with a stopping distance of 0.04 seconds, because I'm giving a real life example of how crumple zones are safer than a car with no crumple zone. Sorry if this was hard to understand because it was badly worded but I've been working on this assignment for hours and I'm tired. The assignment is due in 3 days so quick replies will be much appreciated. Thank you to anyone who can help!
Have you come across the concept of impulse and momentum?

You could assume uniform deceleration and apply the equation of motion..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion

V= at +u

Rearrange to give an equation for "a".

Convert to F if you know the mass.

What is the purpose of studying forces applied to occupants in a car crash?

The purpose of studying forces applied to occupants in a car crash is to understand how different factors, such as speed, impact angle, and safety features, affect the forces experienced by occupants during a car crash. This information can be used to design safer cars and improve safety regulations.

What are the main types of forces that affect occupants in a car crash?

The main types of forces that affect occupants in a car crash are impact forces, such as those from hitting another vehicle or object, and inertia forces, which are caused by a sudden change in speed or direction. These forces can cause injury or even death to the occupants.

How do seat belts and airbags help reduce the forces applied to occupants in a car crash?

Seat belts and airbags help reduce the forces applied to occupants in a car crash by spreading the impact forces over a larger area of the body, decreasing the likelihood of serious injuries. They also help to slow down the occupant's body and prevent them from hitting hard surfaces within the car.

What are some other factors that can affect the forces experienced by occupants in a car crash?

Other factors that can affect the forces experienced by occupants in a car crash include the weight and size of the vehicle, the design of the car's structure, and the use of safety features such as crumple zones and side impact protection. The speed and angle of impact, as well as the condition of the road and weather, can also play a role in the forces experienced.

How can understanding forces applied to occupants in a car crash help improve car safety?

By studying forces applied to occupants in a car crash, engineers and designers can gain valuable insights into how to improve car safety. This can lead to the development of new safety features and improvements in car design to better protect occupants in the event of a crash.