Forces at the bottom of a rotating U-tube filled with water

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of centripetal force in a U-tube that is rotated about a vertical axis. The participants discuss the factors that need to be considered, including the value of m and whether to take into account the total water present or just the water in the horizontal tube. The solution to the problem is also mentioned, which involves equating the force at the corner of the right limb with the centrifugal force. The concept of pressure due to centrifugal force is also explained, with an analogy to gravity. Finally, there is a clarification about the variation of pressure along the length of the tube.
PSN03
Homework Statement
Consider a U shaped tube which has enough water so that the horizontal part of the tube is completely filled. The tube now starts rotating about one of the axis. The centripetal force experienced by the water column at the bottom is ?
Relevant Equations
F=mv²/r
v=rw
So when the rotation starts some water will move upwards and in the vertical part of tube.
I know hat centripetal force will be given by
F=mv²/r
Now I though of taking r as centre of mass of the water system but I don't know what to take the value of m as?
Should I only consider the water portion in the horizontal tube or should I take the total water present?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-24_011302.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-24_011302.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2020-08-24_011305.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-24_011305.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 102
Physics news on Phys.org
So I did a bit research on the net and found that the force at C will be balanced by the centripetal force and we are only considering the mass in the horizontal part. I don't know why, can anyone explain?

For some reason, I can't clearly see the posted picture.

Second that.
Additionally: did you render the exercise text exactly as given ?

Lnewqban said:
For some reason, I can't clearly see the posted picture.
I have reuploaded the image. Please do not consider the values given to be related to the problem.

BvU said:
Second that.
Additionally: did you render the exercise text exactly as given ?
The actual problem was something else and I didn't get a particular part of it so I asked that specific part.

The whole question was :

'Length of horizontal arm of a uniform cross section U−tube is l=21 cm and ends of both of the vertical arm are open to surrounding of pressure 10×500 N/m². A liquid of density ρ=10³ kg/m³ is poured into the tube such that liquid just fills the horizontal part of the tube. Now, one of the open ends is sealed and the tube is than rotated about a vertical axis passing through the other vertical arm with angular velocity ω =10 rad/s. If length of each vertical arm is a=6 cm, calculated the length of air column in the sealed arm. (in cm)'

The solution to this problem was:

Due to rotation , let the shift of liquid be X cm
Let the cross sectional area of the tube I.A
In the right limb for compressed ar
P 1V 1 =P 2 V 2
P 1 A×6=P 2 A(6−x)
P 2 = 6P1/6-x

Force at corner C of right limb climb due to liquid above
F1=(P2+dgx)A

It is rotated about left limb. Then the centre petal force is
F 2 =Mω²r=d(l−x)Aω

So my doubt was why is M=d(l-x)A ie the part of the water in the horizontal tube taken into account and why aren't we taking the total mass of the water ie dlA?

PS: later on they equated F1=F2

PSN03 said:
why is M=d(l-x)A ie the part of the water in the horizontal tube taken into account and why aren't we taking the total mass of the water ie dlA?
It might be more obvious in the rotating frame. The centrifugal acts like a kind of horizontal gravity, so the pressure due to that is related to the 'depth' in the horizontal direction. The fluid in the vertical portion of tube does not contribute to that, just as the fluid in the horizontal portion does not contribute to the pressure caused by gravity acting over the depth in the vertical section.

Whoops - just realized this is misleading. Unlike gravity, the virtual force will vary along the length.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and PSN03
haruspex said:
It might be more obvious in the rotating frame. The centrifugal acts like a kind of horizontal gravity, so the pressure due to that is related to the 'depth' in the horizontal direction. The fluid in the vertical portion of tube does not contribute to that, just as the fluid in the horizontal portion does not contribute to the pressure caused by gravity acting over the depth in the vertical section.
Awesome explanation and analogy,Thanks a lot @haruspex.

Will all the liquid in the horizontal tube have the same pressure ie P=P2+dgx during rotation? Cause according to me it should have .

PSN03 said:
Will all the liquid in the horizontal tube have the same pressure ie P=P2+dgx during rotation? Cause according to me it should have .
No, it will vary with horizontal 'depth' , just as it varies with depth in the vertical section.

See correction to post #7

Last edited:
Likes PSN03
haruspex said:
No, it will vary with horizontal 'depth' , just as it varies with depth in the vertical section.
If that's the case then I can't say that centripetal force on centre of mass would be equal to pressure at C. It should be equal to the pressure difference at the right and the left end of the tube ie P2+dgx-Po , right?
(Where Po is atmospheric pressure as the other end is open)

PSN03 said:
It should be equal to the pressure difference at the right and the left end of the tube ie P2+dgx-Po , right?
Sorry, I have misled you somewhat. As I have now clarified in post #7, it's not quite the same as gravity since the acceleration varies along the length. But this principle still stands: at the junction, from the vertical section we have the pressure of the trapped air plus the pressure from gravity on the fluid in that section, while from the horizontal section we have atmospheric pressure plus the pressure from the centrifugal force acting on the horizontal fluid; and these two pressures must balance.
So your original approach was correct, and I was only intending to clear up your doubt.

That said, I didn't understand this step:
PSN03 said:
Mω²r=d(l−x)Aω
d is density, yes? What happened to r and the other ω?

Likes PSN03
haruspex said:
Sorry, I have misled you somewhat. As I have now clarified in post #7, it's not quite the same as gravity since the acceleration varies along the length. But this principle still stands: at the junction, from the vertical section we have the pressure of the trapped air plus the pressure from gravity on the fluid in that section, while from the horizontal section we have atmospheric pressure plus the pressure from the centrifugal force acting on the horizontal fluid; and these two pressures must balance.
So your original approach was correct, and I was only intending to clear up your doubt.

That said, I didn't understand this step:

d is density, yes? What happened to r and the other ω?
But according to the solution that I have, they haven't considered the atmospheric pressure in the left part while equating the forces, so is the solution provided wrong?

And yes d is density,
r=distance of centre of mass from point of rotation=l+x/2
Therefore
Mω²r=d*A*(l-x)*ω²*(l+x)/2
(Sorry I did a mistake before😅)

PSN03 said:
is the solution provided wrong?
Try a sanity check: what do you get for x with ω=0?

haruspex said:
Try a sanity check: what do you get for x with ω=0?
It should be zero as no rotation is happening. The initial condition is same.

PSN03 said:
It should be zero as no rotation is happening. The initial condition is same.
Right, but is that what the book answer gives? Yours?

haruspex said:
Right, but is that what the book answer gives? Yours?
Yes, initially there is no rotation so the water in only in the horizontal tube with x=0
Once the rotation starts we find some water in the vertical tube as well with its length as x. The two diagrams also say so.

I am not getting the point that why aren't they taking atmospheric pressure into consideration with the centrifugal force.

PSN03 said:
I am not getting the point that why aren't they taking atmospheric pressure into consideration with the centrifugal force.
I have not seen their detailed calculation. Perhaps they calculated the pressure in the compressed region as only its increase in pressure.

haruspex said:
I have not seen their detailed calculation. Perhaps they calculated the pressure in the compressed region as only its increase in pressure.
The solution provided by them is:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-24_152930.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-24_152930.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 90
PSN03 said:
The solution provided by them is:
Hard to decipher because of all the typos. δ=6? ρ0=P1?
But it seems to me to fail my sanity check. Did you plug ω=0 into it as I suggested?

Last edited:
Likes PSN03
haruspex said:
Hard to decipher because of all the typos. δ=6? ρ0=P1?
But it seems to me to fail my sanity check. Did you do plug ω=0 into it as I suggested?
I think I understood what my mistake was.
Thanks for your help and time, means a lot to me😊

Likes Lnewqban

What is the purpose of a rotating U-tube filled with water?

The purpose of a rotating U-tube filled with water is to demonstrate the effects of centrifugal force. When the U-tube is rotated, the water inside experiences a centrifugal force that causes it to move away from the center of rotation.

How does the rotation of the U-tube affect the water inside?

The rotation of the U-tube creates a centrifugal force that acts on the water inside. This force causes the water to move away from the center of rotation and towards the outer edges of the U-tube.

What factors affect the strength of the centrifugal force in a rotating U-tube?

The strength of the centrifugal force in a rotating U-tube is affected by the speed of rotation, the mass of the water, and the distance from the center of rotation. The greater the speed of rotation and the mass of the water, the stronger the centrifugal force will be. The farther the water is from the center of rotation, the weaker the centrifugal force will be.

What is the relationship between the centrifugal force and the water level in the U-tube?

The centrifugal force is directly proportional to the water level in the U-tube. As the water level increases, so does the centrifugal force. This is because there is more mass of water farther from the center of rotation, resulting in a stronger centrifugal force.

What happens to the water level in the U-tube when the rotation stops?

When the rotation of the U-tube stops, the centrifugal force also stops acting on the water. As a result, the water level will return to its original position at the center of the U-tube due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards.