Forces between to permanent magnets

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic field strength and the behavior of field lines between two permanent magnets. The idea of using an electro magnet or a long piece of iron to increase the force between the magnets is also mentioned. However, it is pointed out that the inverse cube relationship approximation with distance only results in a negligible force between the magnets.
willyd
Forces between two permanent magnets

I am new to the concept of magnetic field strength and the behavior of field lines etc, so please correct me if any of my thinking is incorrect.

I want to increase the force between two permanent magnets that are at a distance apart. At the moment due to the inverse cube relationship approximation with distance the calculated force between the magnets is almost negligible. I was wondering what would happen if I placed a weak, long electro magnet (air core) in-between the two permanent magnets.

Could the electro magnet work to direct magnetic flux from one magnet to another?

Would this act to amplify the force between the two permanent magnets?

Any insight appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What are permanent magnets and how do they work?

Permanent magnets are objects that produce a magnetic field and can attract or repel other magnets. They work due to the alignment of their atoms, which creates a strong magnetic force.

What are the different types of forces between two permanent magnets?

The two main forces between two permanent magnets are attraction and repulsion. Attraction occurs when the magnets are facing opposite poles (north and south) and repulsion occurs when the magnets are facing like poles (north and north or south and south).

How do the distance and strength of magnets affect the force between them?

The force between two permanent magnets is directly proportional to the strength of the magnets and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that the stronger the magnets and the closer they are, the stronger the force between them will be.

Can the force between two permanent magnets be affected by external factors?

Yes, the force between two permanent magnets can be affected by external factors such as temperature, material composition, and the presence of other magnetic fields. These factors can weaken or strengthen the force between the magnets.

What are some real-world applications of forces between two permanent magnets?

Forces between permanent magnets have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and compasses. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in various industries for separating magnetic materials.