Forces in Elevators: Net Force 0 but No Weightlessness

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces experienced in different situations, such as being in an elevator at a constant velocity, in free fall, or on a space shuttle. It is noted that the feeling of weight or acceleration can be deceiving and does not necessarily reflect the actual forces at work. The concept of proper acceleration is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the different types of forces and their effects.
Matix Cubix
Hi, I've been thinking about the forces in elevators where a gravitational field exisits, in the case where the elevator moves at a constant upward velocity, which means that there is an equal force to the total weight, meaning that the net force is 0, the thing that strikes me is that I still fell my weigth, and I'm not in a state of weightlessness, on the other hand, if I were in space on a space shuttle and I started the front and rear thrusters so that the thrust was equal , I would still be weightless, so it can not be an analogy to the elevator. Another thing, if I was in an elevator at a constant velocity, I feel that I am being accelerated, but of course I am not: If some one could answer my question I would be quite happy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matix Cubix said:
if I were in space on a space shuttle and I started the front and rear thrusters so that the thrust was equal , I would still be weightless, so it can not be an analogy to the elevator.
It is analogous to an elevator in free fall.

Matix Cubix said:
Another thing, if I was in an elevator at a constant velocity, I feel that I am being accelerated, but of course I am not
You are accelerated in the frame
independent sense:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_acceleration

Last edited:
Likes Matix Cubix
Oh, so could I say? that the force of gravity is a different that of a force when you get pushed? becuse in some sense in the gravity I wouldn't need to feel an acceleration, to knew that I am being accelerated towards a planet, but in the other case I would necessary need to feel an acceleration to knew that I am being accelerated, there is another case.,If I was in a disc moving with an angular speed, I would feel an acceleration, but this is just like the force when I get pushed. If my assumptions are correct, what happends with the other forces, like the electrical forces or the magnetic forces? Anyways thank you for your answer.

1. How can there be no weightlessness in an elevator if the net force is 0?

Even though the net force in an elevator is 0, there are still forces acting on the objects inside the elevator. These forces, such as the force of gravity and the normal force from the floor of the elevator, cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of 0. However, this does not mean that there is no weightlessness. Objects still have their own weight, but it is just balanced by the other forces.

2. Why do we feel heavier when the elevator accelerates upwards?

When the elevator accelerates upwards, the normal force from the floor of the elevator increases to counteract the force of gravity. This increase in normal force makes us feel heavier because there is a greater force pushing up on our bodies.

3. Is the force of gravity still acting on us in an elevator?

Yes, the force of gravity is still acting on us in an elevator. It is what gives us our weight and pulls us towards the center of the Earth. However, in an elevator, the normal force from the floor of the elevator counteracts the force of gravity, resulting in a net force of 0.

4. Can an elevator ever have a net force other than 0?

Yes, an elevator can have a net force other than 0. This can occur when the elevator is accelerating or decelerating, or if there is an unbalanced external force acting on the elevator, such as wind or a malfunctioning motor. In these cases, the net force will not be 0 and we may feel a change in weight or movement.

5. How does the speed of the elevator affect the forces acting on us?

The speed of the elevator does not directly affect the forces acting on us. However, the acceleration of the elevator does. The faster the elevator accelerates, the greater the normal force will be, making us feel heavier. Similarly, if the elevator decelerates, the normal force will decrease, making us feel lighter.