Forces in Equilibrium acting on wall climber

In summary, the problem involves a 650N climber resting mid-climb with a coefficient of friction of 0.65 between her feet and the vertical wall and an angle of 8° between the rope and the cliff. The tension in the rope and the normal force are the unknowns. Using the equations Sum Fx = 0N and Sum Fy = 0N, and substituting the equation for frictional force, we can solve for T and then find the horizontal component of the tension.
RobertLelik
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hello and thank you in advance for any help. I am currently studying physics and having difficulty working out a forces at equilibrium problem. With limited given variables, I am unable to see the path to a solution.

The problem is as such:

A 650N climber is resting mid-climb. If the co-efficient of friction between her feet and the vertical wall is 0.65 and the angle between the rope and the cliff is 8°, what is the tension in the rope? Find normal force (net force "X" direction)

Fg=650N (Ff÷Fn)=0.65 T = ? Fn = ?
Sum Fx = 0N Sum Fy = 0N
(Tx-Fn) = 0N (Ty+Ff) - Fg = 0N

And this is where I can't seem to find the relation...

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram that goes with this?

Seems like the answer would depend on where the rope was tied on the body and where the center of mass of the climber is on the body.

This is all that is given for the problem. The black is original. The green was me.
Snapshot.jpg

paisiello2 said:
Seems like the answer would depend on where the rope was tied on the body and where the center of mass of the climber is on the body.

Typically that would be the case. But since the frictional force depends upon the normal force, which in turn depends upon the horizontal component of the tension, some substitutions can be made. Of course, we do have to assume that the climber is a rigid body.

RobertLelik said:
Fg=650N (Ff÷Fn)=0.65 T = ? Fn = ?
Sum Fx = 0N Sum Fy = 0N
(Tx-Fn) = 0N (Ty+Ff) - Fg = 0N

That looks correct to me. What is the equation for the frictional force?

Also, be careful with the angles. It is a tad bit tricky, since you are given the angle between the rope and the wall instead of the angle between the rope and the climber.

Last edited:
AlephNumbers said:
Typically that would be the case. But since the frictional force depends upon the normal force, which in turn depends upon the horizontal component of the tension, some substitutions can be made. Of course, we do have to assume that the climber is a rigid body.
That looks correct to me. What is the equation for the frictional force?

Also, be careful with the angles. It is a tad bit tricky, since you are given the angle between the rope and the wall instead of the angle between the rope and the climber.

The only equation to calculate force of friction that I know is Ff = µ x Fn

It may be the substitutions you mentioned that I am not understanding. Could you please elaborate?

RobertLelik said:
equation to calculate force of friction that I know is Ff = µ x Fn

Okay, good. Do you see where you can substitute that?

Next you have to express the horizontal and vertical tension in the rope in terms of the angle between the rope and the cliff.

AlephNumbers said:
Okay, good. Do you see where you can substitute that?

Next you have to express the horizontal and vertical tension in the rope in terms of the angle between the rope and the cliff.
I can see now that you can substitute (Ty + Ff) - Fg for ((Ty + (µ x Tx))-Fg. So that would mean (T(0.990) + µT(0.139)) - 650 N = 0 N But how do I carry on from there?
Tx = T sin 8 or T(0.139) = Fn
Ty = T cos 8 or T(0.990)

RobertLelik said:
I can see now that you can substitute (Ty + Ff) - Fg for ((Ty + (µ x Tx))-Fg. So that would mean (T(0.990) + µT(0.139)) - 650 N = 0 N But how do I carry on from there?

Good job.
You are given the coefficient of static friction between the climber and the cliff. You only have one unknown in your equation: T. You can solve for T, right? After you have T it is a simple calculation to find the horizontal component of the tension.

AlephNumbers said:
Good job.
You are given the coefficient of static friction between the climber and the cliff. You only have one unknown in your equation: T. You can solve for T, right? After you have T it is a simple calculation to find the horizontal component of the tension.

I see now. Perfect! Thank you very much.

What is meant by "Forces in Equilibrium"?

Forces in equilibrium refer to a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero. This means that the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant speed and direction.

How do forces in equilibrium apply to wall climbing?

In wall climbing, the climber's body is constantly subjected to a variety of forces, such as gravity, friction, and tension in the climbing rope. In order for the climber to maintain a stable and safe position on the wall, these forces must be balanced, and the climber's body must be in a state of equilibrium.

What are the different types of forces acting on a wall climber?

The main forces acting on a wall climber include their own body weight, the force of gravity, the frictional force between their body and the wall, and the tension in the climbing rope. Other factors such as air resistance and wind may also affect the forces in play.

How does the center of mass affect forces in equilibrium for a wall climber?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. For a wall climber, their center of mass must remain within the base of support (usually their feet) in order to maintain equilibrium. If their center of mass shifts too far from their base of support, they may lose their balance and fall.

What are some strategies for maintaining forces in equilibrium while wall climbing?

Some strategies for maintaining forces in equilibrium while wall climbing include keeping a low and wide stance to increase the base of support, shifting the center of mass towards the wall to increase friction and stability, and using proper hand and foot placement to distribute weight evenly. It is also important to constantly reassess and adjust one's position in response to changing forces, such as wind or a shift in body weight.