Forces in Equilibrium - Tension in Strings

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find T1 + T2 when there is another 5kg block in the middle. It is mentioned that the acceleration of each block is different and that free body diagrams should be drawn to identify the forces acting on each block. The person also asks if the diagrams they have drawn are correct. The expert points out that the diagrams are missing some components and gives a hint for finding the normal force in the third diagram.
travi5

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2120/derppz.jpg
Need to find T1 + T2I can do it when the two masses are connected to each other, I was just wondering how I'd do it now there is another 5kg in the middle?

Also if the acceleration is already given as 2m/s to the left, do I just plug that into F=ma for both Tensions?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, the acceleration of the center block is to the left, the acceleration of the hanging block is down, and the acceleration of the block on the incline is up parallel to the incline. The magnitude of each block's acceleration is the same. You must draw free body diagrams of each block to identify the forces acting on each block, and then use Newton's 2nd law on each block. Is this a homework problem or a take home exam?

PhanthomJay said:
Actually, the acceleration of the center block is to the left, the acceleration of the hanging block is down, and the acceleration of the block on the incline is up parallel to the incline. The magnitude of each block's acceleration is the same. You must draw free body diagrams of each block to identify the forces acting on each block, and then use Newton's 2nd law on each block. Is this a homework problem or a take home exam?

A past paper question
It's driving me crazy

If I attempt a and b, and post my workings would you be able to tell me where I'm going wrong?

Is this how the diagrams should look?

[PLAIN]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/4020/diagrams.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The first diagram looks good. In the 2nd diagram, you are missing the friction force (uR) and its direction. In the third diagram, the weight always acts vertically down, not at an angle. This is the hardest of the diagrams...you have to break the weight up into its components parallel and perpendicular to the incline, then find the normal force and friction force ( as a function of the Normal force). Hint: the magnitude of the Normal force, R, in this diagram is equal to the component of the weight perpendicular to the incline.

Related to Forces in Equilibrium - Tension in Strings

1. What is a force in equilibrium?

A force in equilibrium refers to a situation where all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and therefore no acceleration.

2. How can tension in strings be calculated?

Tension in strings can be calculated using the equation T = F * cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the force being exerted on the string, and θ is the angle between the string and the direction of the force.

3. How does the angle of the string affect the tension?

The angle of the string affects the tension by changing the amount of force required to maintain equilibrium. As the angle increases, the tension in the string also increases.

4. What are some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium and tension in strings?

Some real-life examples include a person holding a heavy object with a rope, a bridge supporting the weight of cars, and a suspension system in a car.

5. How does the length of the string affect the tension?

The length of the string affects the tension by changing the amount of force required to maintain equilibrium. As the length of the string increases, the tension decreases. This is because the weight of the object is spread out over a larger area, resulting in less force being exerted on the string.