Understanding tension and centripedal force in a puck and weight

In summary, the tension in the rope has a direction both towards and away from the weight, which is why it is also pulling left and right on the corner of the hole in the table.
ago01
For practice I did the following problem:

1646538635747.png

Solving this problem mechanically was simple enough using the following force diagrams:

1646539166892.png
Then

$$F_{net_M} = T - Mg = 0$$

Due to the stationary condition

$$T = mg$$

and

$$F_{net_m} = T = ma_c$$

$$T = ma_c$$

Because centripedal acceleration is inward the direction of the tension. The rope is pulling on the puck to stay in the circle, because without it the puck would simply fly away.

So we find after substitution:

$$Mg = m\frac{v^2}{R}$$

and after some algebra

$$v = 1.8 \frac{m}{s}$$.So algebraically this problem wasn't terrible. Understanding the nature of the forces wasn't too bad either...at least mechanically. However I'm left wondering how exactly this tension is behaving.

Since the the rope is pulling inward on the puck it is imposing some centripedal force on the puck, and this force is causing the centripedal acceleration experienced (and what is holding the puck on the radius).

However, the rope is also pulling up on the weight. So the tension in the rope is inward facing (towards the hanging weight), yet the weight experiences some upward tension to balance out gravitational force as well! My intuition is failing me.

Is this because of the right angle it is creating? The tension is inward on the table, but upward on the weight opposite gravity. Does this have something to do with the angle it's creating? If gravity and centripedal acceleration are both inward (gravity being "down and in") I would expect the rope to be slack. I'm trying to quantify this but I am failing at coming up with a way to explain it. Which bothers me because I've seen the experiment done before.

Physics news on Phys.org
ago01 said:
So the tension in the rope is inward facing
Can you clarify what you mean when you say that tension in a rope has a direction toward one end and away from the other?

Hint: It does not.

jbriggs444 said:
Can you clarify what you mean when you say that tension in a rope has a direction toward one end and away from the other?

Hint: It does not.

Sure, I'll diagram what's going on in my brain

1646541222941.png

This was my original post diagrammed. However, it appears I forgot a very important condition...

1646541496166.png

I'm not sure if this is totally correct...but it feels closer. So because the puck is spinning a circle, the changing velocity is generating a centripedal acceleration. This centripedal acceleration is the inward tension. But, the puck is also "pulling back" on the weight by being held along the radius by this acceleration.

Right. The tension in the cord works both ways.

It pulls left on the corner of the hole in the table. It pulls right on the puck.
It pulls down on the corner of the hole in the table. It pulls up on the weight.

jbriggs444 said:
Right. The tension in the cord works both ways.

It pulls left on the corner of the hole in the table. It pulls right on the puck.
It pulls down on the corner of the hole in the table. It pulls up on the weight.

I see yep. I'm glad I asked. This is a good checkpoint for me on making sure I'm getting force pairs correctly.

Thank you!

1. What is tension and how does it affect a puck?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a string, rope, or any other flexible material when it is pulled taut. In the context of a puck, tension is the force that is applied to the puck by a string or rope attached to it. This force is responsible for keeping the puck in motion and changing its direction.

2. How is centripetal force related to tension in a puck?

Centripetal force is the force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a puck, the tension force acts as the centripetal force, keeping the puck moving in a circular path around a fixed point.

3. Why is tension important in understanding the motion of a puck?

Tension is important in understanding the motion of a puck because it is the force that enables the puck to move and change direction. Without tension, the puck would not be able to move in a circular path and would simply continue in a straight line.

4. How does the weight of a puck affect the tension force?

The weight of a puck has no direct effect on the tension force. However, the weight of the puck may affect the speed at which it moves and the amount of tension required to keep it in motion. A heavier puck may require more tension to keep it moving at the same speed as a lighter puck.

5. What factors can affect the tension force in a puck?

The tension force in a puck can be affected by factors such as the mass of the puck, the speed at which it is moving, and the radius of its circular path. Additionally, any external forces acting on the puck, such as friction or air resistance, can also affect the tension force.