Forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a car wheel and how they are translated to forces at the ground-wheel interface. These forces include a vertical force due to the weight of the car, a torque applied by the engine, and a horizontal force in the direction of travel. The weight of the car is supported by the reaction force of the road surface, while the torque is transferred to the perimeter of the wheel as a force pushing the road back. The ground also exerts a reaction force pushing the car forward. Ultimately, for a two-dimensional contact patch, there can be at most three forces at the ground-wheel interface.
Geegeegee
Hi, I was wondering whether anyone can help with a question I have about the forces acting on a car wheel and the forces the wheel induces on the ground surface.

The way I understand it, a car wheel traveling on a flat surface has the following forces acting on it:
-vertical force due to the weight of the car (acts at centre?)
-a torque applied by the engine at the axle
-a horizontal force in the direction of travel (is this separate to the torque or just a component of it?)

I was not sure how these forces acting on the wheel can be translated to forces at the ground-wheel interface. I know there will be a horizontal force in the opposite direction of travel, and a possibly eccentric vertical force acting on the ground. Is there also a torque? Or is this completely incorrect? I have included an image of what my understanding is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
upload_2015-9-9_20-17-50.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You got it right. The torque applied to the wheel from the engine gets transferred to the perimeter of the wheel as a force pushing the road back (via friction between the tire and the road surface). The reaction force from the ground (Newton's third law) pushes the car forward.The weight of the car creates a vertical downward force. The car is supported by the reaction force of the road surface.

Forget all the stuff above the ground and simply look at the ground plane. For a two dimensional contact patch, there can be at most three forces. (1) a force normal to the ground, (2) a force in the direction of travel, and (3) a force perpendicular to the direction of travel. That's all.

What is the definition of forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground?

Forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground refer to the various forces that are exerted on the ground by a vehicle's wheels as it moves. These forces are responsible for the vehicle's motion and stability.

What are the main types of forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground?

The main types of forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground are contact forces, such as normal force and friction force, and non-contact forces, such as air resistance and rolling resistance. These forces work together to keep the vehicle moving and maintain its direction of motion.

How do the weight and speed of a vehicle affect the forces induced by its wheels on the ground?

The weight of a vehicle affects the normal force exerted by its wheels on the ground, which is necessary for maintaining traction and preventing the vehicle from slipping. The speed of the vehicle affects the magnitude of the air and rolling resistance forces, which increase as the vehicle moves faster.

What is the role of tire design in the forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground?

Tire design plays a significant role in the forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground. The tread design and material composition of a tire can affect the amount of friction and rolling resistance it produces, which in turn affects the vehicle's overall performance and fuel efficiency.

How are the forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground measured and analyzed?

The forces induced by a vehicle wheel on the ground can be measured and analyzed using various methods, such as dynamometers, strain gauges, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists and engineers to understand and optimize the performance of a vehicle's wheels on the ground.