Forces on a Skydiver during the initial frefall phase of the jump

In summary, the mass of the skydiver is approximately 65.36kg, calculated by using the equations Fnet=ma and Fg=mg and solving for m.
Balsam

Homework Statement

A skydiver is jumping out of an airplane. During the first few seconds of one jump, the parachute is unopened, and the magnitude of the air resistance acting on the skydiver is 251N. The acceleration of the skydiver during this time is 5.96 m/s^2 [down]. Calculate the mass of the skydiver.
g=9.8 m/s^2[down]
air resistance=251N[up]
acceleration=5.96m/s^2 [down]

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I drew a diagram and have plugged in the known variables to each equation. For Fg=mg-- Fg=m(9.8m/s^2[down])

for F=ma-- Fnet=m(5.96 m/s^2[down]).

for Fnet--Fnet= 251N[up] + m(9.8 m/s^2 [down]) x 5.96 m/s^2[down].

I'm stuck here, I don't know how to solve for mass from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:

Homework Statement

A skydiver is jumping out of an airplane. During the first few seconds of one jump, the parachute is unopened, and the magnitude of the air resistance acting on the skydiver is 251N. The acceleration of the skydiver during this time is 5.96 m/s^2 [down]. Calculate the mass of the skydiver.
g=9.8 m/s^2[down]
air resistance=251N[up]
acceleration=5.96m/s^2 [down]

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and have plugged in the known variables to each equation. For Fg=mg-- Fg=m(9.8m/s^2[down])

for F=ma-- Fnet=m(5.96 m/s^2[down]).[/B]

for Fnet--Fnet= 251N[up] + m(9.8 m/s^2 [down]) x 5.96 m/s^2[down].

I'm stuck here, I don't know how to solve for mass from here.
You should draw a free body diagram of the skydiver and label the forces acting on his body while he's falling. Then, write your equation for Fnet.

SteamKing said:
You should draw a free body diagram of the skydiver and label the forces acting on his body while he's falling. Then, write your equation for Fnet.

I did. I assume the only forces are air resistance and gravity and i came to the conclusion that Fg must be greater than 251N (in terms of magnitude) for the person to be falling.

Balsam said:
I did. I assume the only forces are air resistance and gravity and i came to the conclusion that Fg must be greater than 251N (in terms of magnitude) for the person to be falling.
The way you wrote the equation for Fnet in the OP is confusing. Try expressing Fnet in terms of the weight of the skydiver and the drag force. Don't include the net acceleration just yet.

Fnet=251N-mg=ma
251N=ma+mg
251N=m(a+g)
251N=m(-5.96m/s/s+9.8m/s/s)
251N=m(3.89m/s/s)
251N/(3.89m/s/s)=m
65.36kg=m

1. What is the force of gravity acting on a skydiver during the initial freefall phase?

The force of gravity acting on a skydiver during the initial freefall phase is equal to their weight, which is determined by their mass and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared).

2. How does air resistance affect the forces on a skydiver during freefall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of the skydiver. As the skydiver falls, air resistance increases until it balances out the force of gravity, resulting in a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

3. Can the forces on a skydiver during freefall be balanced out?

Yes, the forces on a skydiver during freefall can be balanced out when air resistance equals the force of gravity. This occurs when the skydiver reaches terminal velocity, resulting in a constant speed of descent.

4. How does the mass of the skydiver affect the forces during freefall?

The mass of the skydiver affects the forces during freefall because it directly impacts their weight, which is a component of the force of gravity. A heavier skydiver will experience a greater force of gravity compared to a lighter skydiver, resulting in a faster descent.

5. What are some other forces that may act on a skydiver during freefall?

In addition to gravity and air resistance, other forces that may act on a skydiver during freefall include wind, turbulence, and the force of their parachute opening. These forces can impact the descent and trajectory of the skydiver, making it important for them to be aware and prepared for them.