Forces on spheres in a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves two spheres acting as wedges jamming each other between two walls and the solution equations only apply when R<2r and R=r. The force on the bottom is easily determined by considering the upward force exerted by the cylinder on the balls and the angle between the centers of the two balls and the vertical.
emmettfoner
Homework Statement
Two solid smooth (frictionless) spheres of radius r and mass m are
placed inside a cylinder of radius R. Find the force exerted by the cylinder
on each ball where they make contact with the cylinder (2 points on the
lower sphere, one on the upper) and the force each ball exerts on the
other. Express all forces in terms of m, R and r.
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations
physics.PNG
I literally don't know where to start with this, i drew a free body diagram to try and understand where the cylinder was affecting them, but it didn't get me anywhere

Physics news on Phys.org
Also here is the solution, I don't know how to get to it.
Fbottom = 2mg, Fball-ball = mgr/[R(2r – R)] 1/2 , Fwall-ball = mg(R- r)/[R(2r – R)] 1/2

emmettfoner said:
I drew a free body diagram to try and understand where the cylinder was affecting them, but it didn't get me anywhere
Show us your diagram, also try to think of some equation you know that you think could be helpful.

Can you understand what is happening in this problem?
Those spheres act as two wedges jamming each other in between two walls by the action of their own weights.
They make those spheres, so there is no wedge angle to talk about, giving infinite possibilities of angles formed between both spheres.
The solution equations clearly show that they are valid only for R<2r, since beyond that, there is no more jamming effect.
Same applies for the case of R=r.

emmettfoner said:
Also here is the solution, I don't know how to get to it.
Fbottom = 2mg, Fball-ball = mgr/[R(2r – R)] 1/2 , Fwall-ball = mg(R- r)/[R(2r – R)] 1/2
The force on the bottom is easy to get since it is the only upward force that the cylinder exerts on the balls (and they are in equilibrium). From the geometry, what is the angle that the line between the centers of the two balls makes with the vertical?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is the relationship between the forces on spheres in a cylinder?

The forces on spheres in a cylinder are directly proportional to the mass of the spheres and the acceleration due to gravity. The more massive the spheres and the stronger the gravitational pull, the greater the forces.

2. How do the forces on spheres in a cylinder affect their motion?

The forces on spheres in a cylinder can cause them to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces. If the forces are balanced, the spheres will maintain a constant velocity. If the forces are unbalanced, the spheres will experience a change in velocity.

3. How does the shape of the cylinder affect the forces on spheres?

The shape of the cylinder can affect the forces on spheres in a few ways. A wider cylinder will have a larger surface area, resulting in more air resistance and potentially slowing down the spheres. A narrower cylinder may have less air resistance, allowing the spheres to move faster.

4. Can the forces on spheres in a cylinder be affected by external factors?

Yes, the forces on spheres in a cylinder can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and other forces acting on the spheres. These external factors can either increase or decrease the overall forces on the spheres.

5. How can the forces on spheres in a cylinder be calculated?

The forces on spheres in a cylinder can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. By knowing the mass of the spheres and the acceleration due to gravity, the forces on the spheres can be determined.