Forces Required For Steeling A Blade?

abrogard
A question, this. Something I would like to know. Practical physics I think. 'Applied physics' I believe.

I wondered at the purpose and efficacy of 'steeling' knives and learned that the process is intended to repair damage to an edge rather than 'sharpen' in the sense of 'create a sharp edge' from scratch.

Apparently use makes an edge develop microscopic irregularities and the steeling repairs these. It is said to 'align' these irregularities and 'straighten' 'wavy' microscopic deformations.

Unable to find any studies that measured the change in, for instance, force required prior to steeling as against force afterwards I wondered about looking at it from the other end: what force is required to 'align' or 'straighten' these microscopic irregularities?

The fact bears on the steeling process, how one would do it. Presented to us in that way it would appear to be a very subtle and lightweight procedure indeed - nudging microscopic parts of the knife into alignment.

Could anyone with good physics knowledge perhaps crib some appropriate metallurgic figures for an appropriate metal and come up with some figures that might reasonably apply?

I am thinking we'd find the steel should be used with almost a featherlight 'kiss' rather than any stout 'abrasive' running up and down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
abrogard said:
Apparently use makes an edge develop microscopic irregularities and the steeling repairs these. It is said to 'align' these irregularities and 'straighten' 'wavy' microscopic deformations.
I believe a gentle force is applied rapidly by the steel, many times, to alternating sides of the edge. Any curl or burr developed on the edge, would be folded back and forth, until it fractured and fell away from the edge.

Tony Atkins - 2009 - The Science and Engineering of Cutting. Page 229.
"
The edge produced by grinding may provide a sufficiently sharp edge for some operations and tools are sold in that condition, but all types of tool can be further sharpened (whetted) before sale with an oil stone or diamond stone, or leather strop, and perhaps by lapping and honing where the surface is additionally polished. (Strop comes from strap but may also be connected with the Ancient Greek strophe and antistrophe, that is a back-and-forth movement in chorus and dances; lap is old English to fold or wrap; and hone means stone). Both lapping and honing employ fine abrasive powders such as rouge; honing is usually applied to cylindrical surfaces and lapping to flat surfaces, but the usage is not consistent since the fixture to sharpen blades of wood planes is called a honing jig. The purpose of extra sharpening is to ‘chase the burr down to as small a size as possible’ (Hamby, 2007, personal communication). The surface finish of a knife blade (whether left in rough-ground condition or polished) makes a difference to its performance and classification. Note that the use of an oil stone, butcher’s ‘steel’ and so on during the life of a blade is for maintenance of an edge, to break off, abrade off or rub off burrs produced during cutting or through contact with hard surfaces. It is a misconception that regular steeling or stropping can resharpen an edge.
"

• Informative
Likes BillTre

What is meant by "steeling a blade"?

Steeling a blade refers to the process of realigning the edge of a knife or similar tool to maintain its sharpness. This is typically done using a steel rod, which is harder than the blade itself. The process does not remove material from the blade but instead straightens the existing metal at the edge, which can become bent or folded from regular use.

What are the forces required for steeling a blade effectively?

The forces required for steeling a blade effectively involve applying a moderate amount of pressure against the steel rod while maintaining a consistent angle, usually between 15 to 20 degrees relative to the rod. The pressure should be firm enough to realign the metal without damaging the blade. Consistency in the angle and pressure ensures an evenly sharpened edge.

How often should I steel my knife?

The frequency of steeling a knife depends on the amount of use it undergoes. For kitchen knives used daily, steeling before each use is ideal to maintain optimal sharpness. For less frequently used blades, steeling every few uses may suffice. Observing the performance of the knife during cutting tasks is a good indicator; if the knife starts to drag or tear rather than cut cleanly, it's likely time to steel it.

Can steeling a blade replace sharpening?

No, steeling a blade cannot replace sharpening. Steeling is intended to maintain the edge of the blade by realigning the metal, while sharpening actually removes material from the blade to create a new edge. Over time, steeling alone will not suffice as the blade material becomes worn and the edge becomes too dull. Periodic sharpening with appropriate tools like whetstones or sharpeners is necessary to restore a fully sharp edge.

What are the risks of applying too much force while steeling a blade?

Applying too much force while steeling a blade can lead to several issues. It can cause the edge of the blade to become overly thin and brittle, making it more susceptible to chipping or breaking. Excessive force can also misalign the edge beyond simple realignment, requiring more intensive sharpening to correct. It's important to apply a consistent and moderate amount of pressure to avoid these risks.