Form of the Standard Model: Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling

In summary: Sorry, I must be missing something. In what sense are they ‘lines of symmetry’ other than that the elements are the same? Why does that mean it can’t be used in the coupling term?I think the answer is that ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }## transforms correctly under the weak ##SU(2)## transformations?
tomdodd4598
TL;DR Summary
Why does the Higgs coupling to up-type fermions take the form it does?
Hey there,

I was looking at the Higgs sector of the standard model, particularly its coupling to the fermions:
##\mathscr{L}_{ yukawa }=-\sum _{ a,b=1 }^{ 3 }{ \left( { Y }_{ ab }^{ u }{ \bar { Q } }_{ a }{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }{ u }_{ b }+{ Y }_{ ab }^{ d }{ \bar { Q } }_{ a }H{ d }_{ b }+{ Y }_{ ab }^{ e }{ \bar { L } }_{ a }H{ e }_{ b } \right) } +h.c.##

Where the ##{ Y }^{ f }## are the Yukawa coupling matrices, ##Q## holds the quark doublets, ##u## holds the up-type quark singlets, ##d## holds the down-type quark singlets, ##L## holds the lepton doublets, ##e## holds the charged lepton singlets, ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## is the two-dimensional anti-symmetric tensor and ##H## is the Higgs doublet.

The up-type piece of this expression contains ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## to 'flip' the Higgs doublet so that, when the Higgs acquires its non-zero VEV, ##H=\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } \left[ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ v+h \end{matrix} \right] ##, the up-type quarks correctly get their mass terms.

This question is already rather long-winded, but it is a simple one: is there a good reason for the choice of the anti-symmetric ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## to flip the doublet over the symmetric ##\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The system isn't letting me fully quote a prior post so I edited mine out as well as I could within what the system allowed.

sysprog said:
Well, obviously, it's not up-down or left-right symmetrical, so please consider the angular axes, and I bet you'll immediately know why the 'flip' was done . . .
I think the initial response was deleted, but this is what I saw in the email notification. What isn’t up-down or left-right symmetric? Which angular axes?

tomdodd4598 said:
Summary:: Why does the Higgs coupling to up-type fermions take the form it does?

Hey there,

I was looking at the Higgs sector of the standard model, particularly its coupling to the fermions:
##\mathscr{L}_{ yukawa }=-\sum _{ a,b=1 }^{ 3 }{ \left( { Y }_{ ab }^{ u }{ \bar { Q } }_{ a }{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }{ u }_{ b }+{ Y }_{ ab }^{ d }{ \bar { Q } }_{ a }H{ d }_{ b }+{ Y }_{ ab }^{ e }{ \bar { L } }_{ a }H{ e }_{ b } \right) } +h.c.##

Where the ##{ Y }^{ f }## are the Yukawa coupling matrices, ##Q## holds the quark doublets, ##u## holds the up-type quark singlets, ##d## holds the down-type quark singlets, ##L## holds the lepton doublets, ##e## holds the charged lepton singlets, ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## is the two-dimensional anti-symmetric tensor and ##H## is the Higgs doublet.

The up-type piece of this expression contains ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## to 'flip' the Higgs doublet so that, when the Higgs acquires its non-zero VEV, ##H=\frac { 1 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } \left[ \begin{matrix} 0 \\ v+h \end{matrix} \right] ##, the up-type quarks correctly get their mass terms.

This question is already rather long-winded, but it is a simple one: is there a good reason for the choice of the anti-symmetric ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }## to flip the doublet over the symmetric ##\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##?
tomdodd4598 said:
I think the initial response was deleted, but this is what I saw in the email notification. What isn’t up-down or left-right symmetric? Which angular axes?
$$\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
I meant merely that the upper left to lower right and the upper right to lower left, in either direction, were lines of symmetry, and that the others were not.

sysprog said:
I meant merely that the upper left to lower right and the upper right to lower left, in either direction, were lines of symmetry, and that the others were not.
Sorry, I must be missing something. In what sense are they ‘lines of symmetry’ other than that the elements are the same? Why does that mean it can’t be used in the coupling term?

I think the answer is that ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }## transforms correctly under the weak ##SU(2)## transformations?

You asked what reason there is to 'flip' the doublet to 'anti-symmetric' -- there is no 'anti-symmetric' as far as I know -- yes, there's 'asymmetric', and 'non-symmetric' -- I just wanted to point out, and then wanted to retract, but I can never not have said anything that I have ever said, the obvious fact that there are on your diagram no vertical or horizontal lines of symmetry; but yes, there are 2 diagonal lines of symmetry on it.

tomdodd4598 said:
I think the answer is that ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }## transforms correctly under the weak ##SU(2)## transformations?
Please look at the non-commutative super-unary 3 group. (hint: QCD)

sysprog said:
You asked what reason there is to 'flip' the doublet to 'anti-symmetric' -- there is no 'anti-symmetric' as far as I know -- yes, there's 'asymmetric', and 'non-symmetric' -- I just wanted to point out, and then wanted to retract, but I can never not have said anything that I have ever said, the obvious fact that there are on your diagram no vertical or horizontal lines of symmetry; but yes, there are 2 diagonal lines of symmetry on it.
No, I'm asking why the doublet is 'flipped' in the way it is. It has to be flipped in order to get the mass term for the up-type quarks. We take the hermitian conjugate to get the correct hypercharge, and then apply the anti-symmetric matrix rather than the symmetric counterpart. I don't understand why the 'lines of symmetry' of the matrix are important, nor am I sure why looking at ##SU(3)## (which I'm guessing is what you're referring to) would be useful...

edited

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes tomdodd4598
Anyways, I think the answer is indeed that ##{ \hat { \varepsilon } }_{ 2 }{ H }^{ \dagger }## represents the charge conjugate doublet and transforms correctly under the weak ##SU(2)## transformations, hence why it is used rather than anything else.

You just write down the allowed interactions of the Higgs doublet with the leptons and quarks, where "allowed" means it's a gauge-invariant term in the Lagrangian. For details about the ew. sector of the standard model, see my review slides here (theory lecture 1):

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/hqm-lectweek14/index.html

1. What is the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling?

The Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling is a fundamental interaction in the Standard Model of particle physics that describes the interaction between the Higgs field and fermions, which are particles that make up matter.

2. How does the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling contribute to mass?

The Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism. The Higgs field interacts with fermions, giving them a mass proportional to the strength of their coupling.

3. Is the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling experimentally confirmed?

Yes, the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling has been experimentally confirmed through the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012. The strength of the coupling has also been measured and found to be consistent with the predictions of the Standard Model.

4. Can the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling explain the masses of all particles?

No, the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling can only explain the masses of fermions, which make up matter particles such as electrons and quarks. It does not apply to other particles, such as bosons, which do not interact with the Higgs field in the same way.

5. Are there any implications of the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling beyond the Standard Model?

Yes, the Higgs-Fermion Yukawa Coupling has implications for physics beyond the Standard Model. For example, it is used in theories that attempt to unify the forces of nature or explain the existence of dark matter. It is also an important factor in studying the stability of the Higgs field and the origin of the mass hierarchy among fermions.