Formal difference between electrostatics and magnetostatics

In summary: I appreciate it.In summary, Griffiths explains in his book on electromagnetism that electrostatics and magnetostatics are artificial worlds that only exist in textbooks. In electrostatics, charges do not move and the charge density must remain fixed. In magnetostatics, the same equation applies, but the continuity equation is used to avoid the possibility of charge piling up over time. This leads to the equations ∂ρ∂t=0∂ρ∂t=0∂ρ∂t=0 and J=0J=0J=0 in electrostatics, and ∂ρ∂t=0∂ρ∂t=0∂ρ∂t=0 and
Hypercube
In his book on EM, Griffiths states:

Formally, electro/magnetostatics is the régime $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0, \hspace{0.25in} \frac{\partial \vec{\boldsymbol{J}}}{\partial t}=\boldsymbol{0}$$

He explains how in electrostatics charges do not move, or (more specifically), charge density does not change. It must remain fixed. I understand that. Second equation is regarding magnetostatics, which also makes sense. But then (few paragraphs down) he says:

More generally, since ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0## in magnetostatics...

Wait. I thought the first of the two equation applies to electrostatics, and the second one to magnetostatics?

So my question essentially comes down to which one(s) of the above equations applies to electrostatics and which one(s) to magnetostatics. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypercube said:
But then (few paragraphs down) he says:

More generally, since ∂ρ∂t=0∂ρ∂t=0\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0 in magnetostatics...
In the intervening few paragraphs does he use the continuity equation to derive this for the magnetostatic case also?

Dale said:
In the intervening few paragraphs does he use the continuity equation to derive this for the magnetostatic case also?

Hi Dale,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Intervening few paragraphs are a qualitative discussion with two main points:
1. Electrostatics and magnetostatics are idealisations: artificial worlds that "only exist in textbooks";
2. Moving point charge (on its own) cannot constitute a steady-state current.

Then he makes that second statement that I mentioned in OP:

When a steady current flows in a wire, its magnitude I must be the same all along the line; otherwise, charge would be piling up somewhere, and it wouldn't be a steady current. More generally, since ##\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0## in magnetostatics, the continuity equation becomes $$\nabla \cdot \boldsymbol{J}=0$$

And that is the end of the chapter.

Hypercube said:
otherwise, charge would be piling up somewhere,
This is the key statement. It is in principle possible to have ##\partial J/\partial t = 0## with ##\partial \rho /\partial t \ne 0##. But with the continuity equation you would get that ##\rho## would steadily increase without bound over time. This “charge piling up” is usually rejected on physical grounds, so then we get ##\partial \rho/\partial t=0## for magnetostatics also.

Likes Hypercube
Dale said:
This is the key statement. It is in principle possible to have ##\partial J/\partial t = 0## with ##\partial \rho /\partial t \ne 0##. But with the continuity equation you would get that ##\rho## would steadily increase without bound over time. This “charge piling up” is usually rejected on physical grounds, so then we get ##\partial \rho/\partial t=0## For magnetistatics also.

I understand, I think. To summarise, would you agree with the following:

In electrostatics: $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0, \hspace{0.25in} \boldsymbol{J}=\boldsymbol{0}, \hspace{0.25in} \frac{\partial \boldsymbol{J}}{\partial t}=\boldsymbol{0}$$

In magnetostatics: $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=0, \hspace{0.25in} \boldsymbol{J}=\boldsymbol{F}(x,y,z), \hspace{0.25in} \frac{\partial \boldsymbol{J}}{\partial t}=\boldsymbol{0}$$

Likes vanhees71
Excellent, thank you for clarifying this for me.

Likes Dale

1. What is the main difference between electrostatics and magnetostatics?

The main difference between electrostatics and magnetostatics is the type of force that is involved. In electrostatics, the force is caused by the interaction of static electric charges, while in magnetostatics, the force is caused by the interaction of moving electric charges or currents.

2. Are there any similarities between electrostatics and magnetostatics?

Yes, there are some similarities between electrostatics and magnetostatics. Both involve the study of electric charges and their interactions, and both have similar equations and laws that govern their behavior.

3. How do electrostatic and magnetostatic fields differ?

The main difference between electrostatic and magnetostatic fields is their direction. In electrostatics, the electric field is radial, meaning it points away from positive charges and towards negative charges. In magnetostatics, the magnetic field forms loops around the direction of the current.

4. Can electrostatics and magnetostatics be combined into one theory?

Yes, electrostatics and magnetostatics can be combined into one theory called electrodynamics. This theory takes into account the interaction of both electric and magnetic fields and how they affect each other.

5. How do electrostatics and magnetostatics impact our daily lives?

Electrostatics and magnetostatics play a crucial role in our daily lives. They are the basis for many technologies such as electric motors, generators, and electronic devices. They also play a role in natural phenomena such as lightning, the Earth's magnetic field, and the behavior of charged particles in space.