Formal proof of Thevenin theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a formal proof of Thevenin's theorem and clarifying the concept of equivalent linear networks and bipoles. The idea is to show, using linear algebra, that a composite network can be reduced to two linear equations, the Thevenin or Norton equivalent. The conversation also mentions using Google to find resources for further understanding.
cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
Formal proof of Thevenin theorem from an algebraic point of view
Hi,
I am looking for a formal proof of Thevenin theorem. Actually the first point to clarify is why any linear network seen from a port is equivalent to a linear bipole.

In other words look at the following picture: each of the two parts are networks of bipoles themselves.
Thevenin.jpg

Why the part 1 -- as seen from the interconnection's port (topological cut) -- is equivalent to a linear bipole itself ?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried a google search? I did "proof of thevenin's theorem pdf" and got so much good stuff I honestly don't know which one to link to here. Many have references to other papers too.

Likes jim mcnamara
DaveE said:
Have you tried a google search? I did "proof of thevenin's theorem pdf" and got so much good stuff I honestly don't know which one to link to here.
Yes, I believe the point is to show - from a linear algebraic point of view - that the linear system of the complete composite network actually breaks in two parts: by mean of elimination (e.g. Gauss elimination) we may always reduce each part to a linear equation (the Thevenin or Norton equivalent).

Likes Delta Prime
@cianfa72 did you mean to post this in another thread? As it stands now, this makes no sense.

jim mcnamara said:
@cianfa72 did you mean to post this in another thread?
No, I mean whether or not you can confirm my argument about the structure of the linear system and how to break it in the two parts involved.

Thanks for the clarity.

1. What is the Thevenin theorem?

The Thevenin theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states that any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a resistor, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. Why is it important to have a formal proof of the Thevenin theorem?

A formal proof of the Thevenin theorem provides a rigorous and mathematical basis for the theorem, ensuring that it holds true in all cases. It also allows for the extension and application of the theorem to more complex circuits.

3. What are the key steps in proving the Thevenin theorem?

The key steps in proving the Thevenin theorem include finding the Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance, determining the open-circuit voltage and short-circuit current of the original circuit, and verifying that the Thevenin equivalent circuit behaves the same as the original circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to the Thevenin theorem?

The Thevenin theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that it cannot be applied to circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition.

5. How is the Thevenin theorem used in practical applications?

The Thevenin theorem is commonly used in circuit analysis and design to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It is also used in the design and testing of electronic devices and systems.