Forming an Excimer - Explaining the Process for Xenon

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of an excimer, specifically in the case of Xenon. It is mentioned that an excited state Xenon atom, Xe*, can react with a ground state Xenon atom and a third body, resulting in the formation of an Xe* excimer and the third body carrying away excess energy. The poster is struggling to understand how the ground state Xenon can interact with its full valence shell and asks for pointers. The response clarifies that excimers are formed when one atom is in an excited state and can form bonds with another atom's valence shell. It is also mentioned that Xenon can form stable molecules in its ground state. The conversation continues with the poster asking for further clarification
MartinMan
Hello, first post!

Can anyone explain to me how an excimer is formed?

Considering Xenon.
I've gathered that an excited state Xe*, ground state Xe, and a 3rd body M react resulting in an Xe* excimer + M(carrying away excess energy).

I'm struggling to find how the ground state Xe can have any interaction at all with its full valence band. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!
PS My physics/chemistry isn't particularly advanced, I'm studying elec. engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

First, I would rather talk of valence shell than of valence band. Bands occur only in solids.
The point with an exicmer is that it is a molecule which is not formed from two atoms in their ground states but from two atoms of which one is in an excited state. I.e. in the Xenon atom, one electron is excited into a higher empty orbital so that it, or the electron remaining in the valence shell can form a bond.
Besides this, Xenon can also form stable molecules in it's ground state like oxides and fluorides, so the criterion of full valence band is does not always preclude the formation of compounds.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm starting to get it a bit more.

So, if Xe has 5s2 5p6, Xe* has 5s2 5p5 6s1 in its valence shell. Apparently the ground Xe can in fact take more than 8 electrons in its valence shell. So I take it the 5d subshell could be used somewhere in the reaction...

What might the Xe* excimers electron config look like?

I'm still stuck on which electrons are shared, in what orbital...

1. What is an excimer and how is it formed?

An excimer is a short-lived molecule that is formed when two atoms or molecules come together in an excited state. In the case of xenon, an excimer is formed when two xenon atoms combine under high energy conditions, releasing energy in the form of light.

2. What is the process for forming an excimer using xenon gas?

The process for forming an excimer using xenon gas involves first ionizing the xenon gas by applying a high voltage. This creates a plasma state where the xenon atoms are in an excited state. Then, the excited xenon atoms combine to form a dimer, or two-atom molecule, which is the excimer.

3. What are the applications of excimer formation using xenon?

One of the main applications of excimer formation using xenon is in excimer lasers, which are used in various industrial and medical applications. Excimer lasers produce high-energy, short-wavelength light that can be used for precision cutting, welding, and medical procedures.

4. What factors affect the formation of excimers using xenon gas?

The formation of excimers using xenon gas is affected by several factors, including the pressure and temperature of the gas, the voltage applied, and the presence of other gases. These factors can impact the energy levels and collisions between the xenon atoms, which can affect the efficiency of excimer formation.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with excimers and xenon gas?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when working with excimers and xenon gas. Xenon is a noble gas and is generally considered non-toxic, but it can displace oxygen in closed spaces and cause asphyxiation. In addition, high-voltage equipment used to ionize the gas can present electrical hazards. Proper safety precautions, such as working in a well-ventilated area and following proper handling procedures, should be taken when working with excimers and xenon gas.