Formula for dice probability where numbers have different values

In summary, the person is seeking help with mapping probabilities for a dice system they are using for a game. They need to calculate the probability of rolling a certain number of successes on multiple dice, and also take into account a new variation where two players roll against each other and their successes cancel each other out. They are looking for solutions for this problem.
omni989
Hi all

Im hoping someone here can help me out. I'm developing a game and I have a dice system I'm using but I am having trouble mapping the probabilities. I should state that I know very little about such things and my maths is basic but a reasonably explained answer should cause me no problems.

Firstly I need to calculate the probability of rolling X number of successes on multiple D6 where 1-3 are failures, 4 & 5 are one success each and 6 is two successes. I will need to map out the probability of exactly 1 success, 2 success, 3 success etc on 2D6, 3D6, 4D6 up to 6 D6.

In case you are finding that too easy can anyone suggest how I would go about calculate the probabilities with the following variance. There are now two players rolling against each other with their successes cancelling each other out, the winner is the player with successes left. For one player, the attacker, 3 is also a success and cancels upto two 4's that the defender rolls. How can I map how effective the extra number will be to the attacker and how detrimental to the defender? Taking into account that if the attacker does not roll a 3 then the defender gets his 4's but if he does then he loses some of them.

I do hope I have explained that clearly and that someone will offer some solutions.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For 3 dice

Let [tex] G(x) = (\frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{1}{6} + \frac{x}{6} + \frac{x}{6} + \frac{x^2}{6})^3[/tex]

[tex] = (\frac{3}{6} + \frac{2x}{6} + \frac{x^2}{6}) ^3 [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{6^3}( 3 + 2x + x^2)^3 [/tex]

If my hand calculation is correct this is:
[tex] = \frac{1}{6^3}(27 + 54x + 63x^2 + 44x^3 + 21x^4 + 6x^5 + x^6) [/tex]

Probability of zero successes [itex] = \frac{1}{6^3}(27) [/itex]
Probability of one success [itex] = \frac{1}{6^3}(54) [/itex] ( = the coefficient of [itex] x [/itex] .)
Probability of two successes [itex] = \frac{1}{6^3}(63)[/itex] ( = the coefficient of [itex] x^2 [/itex])
...etc.

1. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a specific number on a dice with different values?

The formula for calculating the probability of rolling a specific number on a dice with different values is: P = 1/Total Number of Possible Outcomes. For example, if you want to find the probability of rolling a 4 on a dice with 6 sides, the formula would be P = 1/6 = 0.167 or 16.7%.

2. Can you explain the concept of sample space in relation to dice probability?

Sample space refers to the set of all possible outcomes of an event. In the context of dice probability, sample space would include all the numbers that can be rolled on the dice. For instance, if we have a dice with 6 sides, the sample space would be {1,2,3,4,5,6}.

3. How do you calculate the probability of rolling a certain range of numbers on a dice with different values?

The formula for calculating the probability of rolling a certain range of numbers on a dice with different values is: P = Number of Desired Outcomes/Total Number of Possible Outcomes. For example, if you want to find the probability of rolling a number between 2 and 4 on a dice with 6 sides, the formula would be P = 3/6 = 0.5 or 50%.

4. Can you provide an example of using the formula for dice probability with different values?

Sure, let's say we have a dice with 8 sides and we want to find the probability of rolling an odd number. The sample space would be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8}. The number of desired outcomes would be 4 (1,3,5,7), and the total number of possible outcomes would be 8. Therefore, the probability would be 4/8 = 0.5 or 50%.

5. How can we use the formula for dice probability to make predictions in games of chance?

The formula for dice probability can be used to make predictions in games of chance by calculating the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring. For example, if a game involves rolling a dice with different values, knowing the probability of each outcome can help a player make strategic decisions and increase their chances of winning.