Formula for integration of natural coordinates over an element

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for integrating natural coordinates over a 1-dimensional element, with specific equations for ##x## and ##L##. It also mentions a formula for calculating the integral and its limitations, as well as a method for deriving the formula using the Beta function and the Gamma function.
Arjan82
TL;DR Summary
For FEM analysis use is made of elements and their natural coordinates. For integration my book provides a neat formula, but unfortunately without source.
In a textbook I own a formula is given for the integration of natural coordinates over an element. In this case it is a 1 dimensional element (i.e. a line segment) with coordinates ##x_i## and ##x_j##. The coordinate ##x## over the element is written as:
$$
x = L_1(x) x_i + L_2(x) x_j
$$

with
$$
L_1(x) = \frac{x_j - x}{L}\text{, }
L_2(x) = \frac{x - x_i}{L}
$$
with ## L= x_j - x_i##

It is stated, unfortunately without source, that:
$$
\int_L L_1^\alpha(x) L_2^\beta(x) dx = \frac{\alpha!\beta!}{(\alpha + \beta +1)!}L
$$
It then continues to show an example where ##x_i = 2## and ##x_j = 6## so that ##L_1(x) = (6-x)/4## and ##L_2(x) = (x-2)/4## and then computes the integral:
$$
\int_2^6 L_1^2(x) L_2(x) dx = 0.333...
$$
Using the long-hand method and the formula stated above. Which obviously give the same result. But where does this formula come from? How is it derived? I want to know the limitations of this formula (which I assume there are).

Physics news on Phys.org
For [itex]\operatorname{Re}(\alpha) > -1[/itex], [itex]\operatorname{Re}(\beta) > -1[/itex] and [itex]x_j > x_i[/itex], substitute [itex]u = (x - x_i)/L[/itex] to obtain
[tex]
\frac{1}{L^{\alpha + \beta}}\int_{x_i}^{x_j} (x_j - x)^\alpha(x - x_i)^\beta\,dx
=L\int_0^1 (1-u)^\alpha u^\beta\,du.[/tex] The integral on the right is the definition of the Beta function [itex]B(\alpha + 1, \beta + 1)[/itex]. It can be shown from this and the integral representation [tex]
\Gamma(z) = \int_0^\infty t^{z-1}e^{-t}\,dt[/tex] valid for [itex]\operatorname{Re}(z) > 0[/itex] that [tex]B(p,q) = \frac{\Gamma(p)\Gamma(q)}{\Gamma(p + q)}.[/tex] Lastly, if [itex]n \geq 0[/itex] is an integer then [itex]\Gamma(n + 1) = n![/itex].

• Informative
Likes Arjan82
Thanks! That's enough hints for me to figure it out :)

Alternatively, if [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are positive integers then set [tex]
I(\alpha,\beta) = \int_0^1 (1-u)^\alpha u^\beta\,du[/tex] and integrate by parts to obtain [tex]
I(\alpha, \beta) = \frac{\beta}{\alpha + 1}I(\alpha+1,\beta-1)[/tex] so that [tex]
I(\alpha,\beta) = \frac{\alpha! \beta!}{(\alpha + \beta)!}I(\alpha + \beta,0) = \frac{\alpha! \beta!}{(\alpha + \beta + 1)!}.[/tex]

Likes Arjan82

1. What is the formula for integration of natural coordinates over an element?

The formula for integration of natural coordinates over an element is ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy = ∫∫f(ξ,η)J(ξ,η)dξdη, where f(x,y) is the function to be integrated, J(ξ,η) is the Jacobian of the transformation from the natural coordinates (ξ,η) to the physical coordinates (x,y), and the limits of integration are determined by the shape of the element.

2. How do you determine the Jacobian of the transformation?

The Jacobian of the transformation can be determined by taking the partial derivatives of the physical coordinates (x,y) with respect to the natural coordinates (ξ,η) and then taking the determinant of the resulting matrix. This can be done using the chain rule.

3. What are natural coordinates?

Natural coordinates are a set of coordinates that are used to describe the geometry of an element in a finite element analysis. They are typically normalized and range from -1 to 1, with (0,0) being located at the center of the element. Natural coordinates are used to simplify the integration process over an element.

4. How is the shape of the element determined?

The shape of the element is determined by the type of element being used in the finite element analysis. For example, a 2D triangular element has three nodes and a 2D quadrilateral element has four nodes. The shape of the element is important in determining the limits of integration for the natural coordinates.

5. Why is the formula for integration of natural coordinates important in finite element analysis?

The formula for integration of natural coordinates is important in finite element analysis because it allows for the accurate calculation of integrals over an element. This is essential in solving the governing equations of a system and obtaining accurate results. The use of natural coordinates also simplifies the integration process, making it more efficient and less prone to errors.